Which color of unit numbers for the new tan uniforms?

Hi everyone,

Someone told me not to use the red numbers and Trained badge on the new tan uniforms that everything was going to the green color for this. I'm asking for Cub Scouts Webelos and the leader shirts.

Anyone else heard of this?

Thanks!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new centennial uniform should use the new subdued green and tan unit numbers and trained strips.

Cub Scout blue uniforms and Venturing green uniforms should use the old red & white unit numbers and old trained strips.

There is a flyer on-line somewhere that shows this.

I'll say it again - the new uniform is Transitional and you can MIX and MATCH anything from the old with the new.

We've decided to keep the old Red numbers for our Pack Adult uniforms. They match the boys uniforms, we have a large supply of special order all-in-one patches, and no one has bothered to buy a new shirt yet anyway ;->

"the new uniform is Transitional and you can MIX and MATCH anything from the old with the new."

when they speak of 'mix and match' its clear they mean uniform parts (shirt, pants, belt, socks), NOT insignia.

"We've decided to keep the old Red numbers for our Pack Adult uniforms. They match the boys uniforms, we have a large supply of special order all-in-one patches, and no one has bothered to buy a new shirt yet anyway ;-> "

Anyone wearing the new centennial shirt should be wearing the green & tan unit numbers and trained strips. That is clear from the materials National is showing. If people still have the old shirt, wearing the red unit numbers is not an issue.

Again, you do not wear insignia just to match what others wear, but what is appropriate on the uniform YOU are wearing.

"the new uniform is Transitional and you can MIX and MATCH anything from the old with the new."

when they speak of 'mix and match' its clear they mean uniform parts (shirt, pants, belt, socks), NOT insignia.

Anything, to me, means anything! Patches, pants, shirt, socks, unit numbers, council strips! Anything!

Maybe this will help:

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/images/pdfs/2008UniformGuide.pdf

Cub scouts wearing the blue uniform and Venturers wearing the green uniform are shown wearing the red unit numbers. Boys (either boy scouts or webelos scouts) wearing the new uniform are shown wearing the new unit numbers.

Adults (including a male Boy Scout leader and a male Cub Scout leader) are shown in the new uniform with the new unit numbers and trained strip.

"Anything, to me, means anything! Patches, pants, shirt, socks, unit numbers, council strips! Anything!"

Where do you get this 'anything'? The only wording I've seen refers to 'parts' of the uniform being 'mix and match'. To me, parts of a uniform consist of things like pants, shirt, belt, socks, hat, NOT insignia.

I hate Uniform Police. Bottom line, I've spoken directly with both a Council Commissioner and a National BSA Commisioner and the answers I have gotten have been radically different from those presented by some here.

They each, seperately, stated that the ENTIRE UNIFORM is mix-and-match and that they are TRANSITIONAL. I was also told that they would prefer the Green loops be adopted unit-wide but that there is no requirement to do so. So........

Where do you get this 'anything'? The only wording I've seen refers to 'parts' of the uniform being 'mix and match'. To me, parts of a uniform consist of things like pants, shirt, belt, socks, hat, NOT insignia.

You posted it!

Where did you get 'parts'? Aren't the unit numerals 'part' of the uniform? Aren't the shoulder loops 'part' of the uniform? Isn't the shirt 'part' of the uniform?

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

"Where did you get 'parts'? Aren't the unit numerals 'part' of the uniform? Aren't the shoulder loops 'part' of the uniform? Isn't the shirt 'part' of the uniform?"

while insignia are part of the uniform, when I think of the 'parts' of a uniform, I think of: pants, shirt, belt, socks, hat. I don't think of the insignia as a separate part in the same way as, say, a shirt or belt.

Not to slam anyone here, but I find the words "transitional" and "centennial" somewhat misleading. Does this mean that this uniform is temporary, and that another one is already on the horizon, prehaps to be used after the centennial celebration is completed? (that was a rhetorical question, buy the way)

I realize these are BSA buzz words, but can't we just call it the (new) uniform?

I personally agree with GW. I think that all Cub level uniforms should use the red numbers, and I think our scout store is selling them that way. Our troop, on the other hand has agreed to do nothing. As new boys join, they will purchase the green numbers and loops. Until that time, we will be use the red, and consider changing when enough of the green shows up. This is not a recruiting time for the troop, so it may be February (Webelos crossover) before we even discuss this again.

(This message has been edited by Buffalo Skipper)