Is this a 1940s BSA uniform?

I am hoping that you scouting experts can help me identify the uniform in this photograph by Dorothea Lange: http://content.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/ft8b69p1g1&brand=oac/

The photograph is from 1942 and is of a young Japanese American boy in some type of military-inspired uniform. He is about to be interned along with his family, so a white identification tag is also hanging from his jacket. The photograph has been described in some historical literature as being of a "Boy Scout," but I do not see any obvious BSA insignias.

Does this appear to be a BSA uniform to you? Any ideas may be helpful to me!

Thank you.

From what is viewable, I would have to say this is NOT a scouting uniform from that era, or even an earlier era. Frankly, it looks more like the Japanese military uniforms seen in many WWII photos if anything. Realistically, it is likely an outfit put together from what was available at the time under stressful circumstances. JMHO.

That's not a 1940s era BSA uniform.

Mitch Reis has a great work on dating BSA uniforms.

Scouts never wore that kind of coat. Scouters DID, but in the earlier years, and this style had gone by the waysideb by the 1940s.

Also, the kid looks very younger. Boy Scouts started at age 12. He looks to be about Cub Scout age, which never had that kind of uniform.

Also, as noted, there are no BSA insignia.

Buttons look more like generic military style. There should say "BSA" I believe, and there should be BSA collar insignia, community strip and unit number.

The insignia above the left pocket is definetly NOT BSA. Uncertain about the ribbons at the bottom of the sleeves.

John,

Naval Aviators wore green back then, actually they can apparently still wear green now but rarely do. The service dress grey uniform was adopted during WW II was primarily worn in the north atlantic and had shoulder boards like the service dress khaki not sleeve stripes like the aviation greens and dress blues. Also the old naval aviator uniform included breeches which is what the boy is wearing (Jodhpurs are much roomier in the hips).

I am unsure if the Naval Aviator uniform included a Sam Browne belt and I can't check it out because my reference materials are buried in my basement.

"Could be but I don't think that the RAF would have iggles on their buttons. Luftwaffe perhaps?"

Nope, German military buttons had a "pebbley" appearance. These look like U.S. military style buttons. And it appears he is wearing puttees, not jodphurs. The flight "wings" are reminisent of Japanese style wings, but on the wrong side. Also, the Sam Browne belt generally hooks over the right shoulder. This could be a picture where the negative was facing the wrong way when the positive was developed.