Transitioning to new uniforms

Nothing has been said about the new uniform in my son's troop and I tend to doubt there will be any discussion until questions come up. I assume that as people start going to the Scout shop or distributor and find only the new uniform parts (either for new Scouts/leaders or as replacement uniform parts), the new parts will start showing up. I suspect the change in loop colors will cause some confusion but it will be addressed as it comes up. The small rainbow of loops is going to look silly for awhile, but I guess National decided it was worth it... for some unknown reason...

We bought green tabs for everyone and distributed them two weeks ago. We are letting the boys switch over on their own schedule.

Anyone have a good vendor for troop numbers? We want to get our number with our veteran bar as part of the package.

I will probably buy a new uniform, and wear it every other week to be an example. But, I will let the boys wear any official uniform to troop meetings.

I was told by someone unoffically at round table that the BSA wants you to wear a whole official uniform from any given period. Therefore, wear the new shirt with the new pants, or wear the old shirt with the old pants.

But I have been correct by a district director. You can wear a new shirt with a pair of old pants. They do not care.

I am not sure about just bying the shoulder bars. I think that is part of the shirt. I would not take the new shirt buttons and sew them on an old shirt. I consider the sholder bars the same way. They are part of the shirt.

If I am wrong about that, lets hear from an official BSA publication.

I will probably buy a new uniform, and wear it every other week to be an example. But, I will let the boys wear any official uniform to troop meetings.

I was told by someone unoffically at round table that the BSA wants you to wear a whole official uniform from any given period. Therefore, wear the new shirt with the new pants, or wear the old shirt with the old pants.

But I have been correct by a district director. You can wear a new shirt with a pair of old pants. They do not care.

I am not sure about just bying the shoulder bars. I think that is part of the shirt. I would not take the new shirt buttons and sew them on an old shirt. I consider the sholder bars the same way. They are part of the shirt.

If I am wrong about that, lets hear from an official BSA publication.

"I was told by someone unoffically at round table that the BSA wants you to wear a whole official uniform from any given period. Therefore, wear the new shirt with the new pants, or wear the old shirt with the old pants.

"But I have been correct by a district director. You can wear a new shirt with a pair of old pants. They do not care."

It is true that with the previous uniforms, you had to wear the whole uniform of the given period. HOWEVER, this time the new Centennial uniform is clearly said to be a 'transitional uniform'. So you can mix parts (not insignia) of the current and prior uniform. This is clearly stated in all the fliers about the new uniform.

Really sorry but insignia MUST be changed if you buy a new uniform as they have removed the red-based insignia like the "Trained" patch and you can only buy the new green one in many locations (sound of defunct horse being beaten in the background).

As for the shoulder loops - the red ones are gone. You can only buy the green ones - BUT you can still buy old shirts from National Supply. So, if you buy an old shirt you will end up with green trained patch and green should loops for it.

What our National Scout Shop manager said was that they don't want you mixing insignia - no red with green. But, since its a transitional uniform there will be loads of mix and match for a while and even more confusion.

The new insignia/uniform guide is due out when....last I read it was 9/15. Again, who released the new uniforms before the official guidance was available on how to wear them according to the rules???