Transitioning to new uniforms

Always keep in mind the old uniform (and all old uniforms) are STILL official. They are not suddenly unofficial.

FWIW, I went thru the last uniform change as a youth. I don't recall any troop forcing people to change. Mind didn't. I didn't get the uniform until I had to for the 1981 Jamboree.

Considering that this new uniform isn't as radically different as the prior DLR uniform was to its predicessor, I see no real reason for unit to force its members to get it.

Further, unlike what I recall with previous changes, this uniform is 'transitional', which allows one to mix and match uniform parts of the old and new. This allows for people to even more gradually move over and not be forced to buy a complete new uniform.

I have a boy that has already started the "transition", he had enough money to buy the epilettes and so that's done. He figures the next step are the numerals. I'm not to worried about it, this boy has scout pants with the red piping on the mule-earred pockets. I figure that maybe some day when he becomes an adult and has the money, he'll figure out how it all gets put together. Until then he doesn't break the rule: "2. Look and Act Like a Scout." By the way, he picked up an old green uniform shirt to wear as a "class-B" because it was cool and cost less on E-Bay than a t-shirt does at summer camp. Even in "class-B" he looks like a scout more than a lot of other boys out there with blue jeans and a camp t-shirt.

Is this some scout that doesn't know any better? Nope, he's been working on his Eagle project now for about 6 months, drives a car, might have a girlfriend, holds my only troop officer position and is a great kid. So I'm not going to worry one bit if he even buys one numeral at a time to change over.

Stosh

We had our ATPC a couple of weeks ago. At that time the Patrol Leader's Council decided that it would propose to the troop committee that the we let scouts transfer on their own basis, but that we would purchase the new green shoulder tabs for all the current scouts.

I don't anticipate that our troop will take a position at all. One Scout bought a new shirt last week and my younger son looks like a sausage in his, so I'll probably be getting him one my next trip to the Scout shop.

Part of the crossover ceremony for the new Scouts in Feb is to change out their blue Cub tabs for red ones. We'll probably wait until then and change the tabs for the whole troop. As we have about 100 red, one-piece unit numerals/service bars in stock, I anticipate that we will be using those for some time to come.

I'll have to give the supply folks credit that the new shirts are close enough to the old ones that a unit can have both and still appear fairly uniform.

We will discuss at the Green Bar this evening, but here is what I put out in our 9/1 Newsletter:

"Last month, the Boy Scouts of America introduced a new centennial uniform which includes new shirts, pants, and socks. The overall color tone of the centennial uniform is green, with green shoulder loops, numbers, and socks. Troops are not required to adopt the new uniform and colors. Please DO NOT rush out and buy a new uniform! Each Troop will decide how, when, and if they adopt the new uniform styles and colors. However, if you do need a new shirt, pants or socks, it's ok to get the new things, but for now stick with the red shoulder loops and red numbers. More on this after we discuss in Green Bar and Troop Committee."

I'll let you know what comes out of Green Bar...

To me it's simple:

If a PLC, SM, and/or Committee mandate the new uniform, they'd better also come up with the fundraising events to support the youth in buying it.

Even in the Armed Forces, there are buy-in/wear-out periods between uniforms. It took from October 1981 to October 1985 to fully bring in BDUS. It took several years to switch from BDU to ACU. When we dumped khakis for the Army green short sleeve shirt, that took a while.

For a young man, this is a fair economic decision. Which would you rather have Mr Scoutmaster: Scout going to next summer's Scout camp, or Scout in a new uniform but can't get the last quarter of his next summer camp bill paid??

One further comment:

Any SM who tells a parent their child needs a new uniform because it's the new uniform deserves the invective some parent will give them.

Mark my words: It will happen. The question is where and how soon.

I like the idea of the unit replacing the red loops for the green ones...and waiting for the next crossover seems like a good time to do it. It's the least expensive part of the uniform and promotes unity in the unit by everyone wearing the same color.

Hello all,

Just to throw more logs on the fire.... Does anybody else wonder why after making such a big deal about green/tan, the BSA still went with the "Boy Scouts Of America" in red on the new shirts? Why no make it green also?

Just food for thought.

Our boys are becoming first year Webelos, In june our scout store was doing a 2 for 1 deal on the first generation green switchback pants. everybody paired up and got their pants then at discounted price. now that the new shirts are out we are buying the new stlye shirt but staying with the red pack numbers as directed by our council. We are afterall still technically cub scouts. The leaders of our den have been approached to start a new BS Troop when we bridge over to scouts. at that time we will go to the tan/gren numbers

Rick

Report from Green Bar:

The Scouts want to keep the red shoulder loops for the SPL and ASPL, have one red and one green for the PL and APL, and green for the rest of the Troop. They also want the adult leadership keep the red shoulder loops. Does anyone know if we can we do this? Or do we all have to move to the green shoulder loops?

As to the rest of the new uniform -- they don't like the shirt, but understand that it's the shirt that is and we will eventually move to it as new Scouts come in to the Troop and Scouts grow and need a new shirt. They want to stay with the red numbers and keep the rest of the non-centennial uniform (NCU) for the rest of their Scouting career.

So for now, our transition looks to be gradual - shoulder loops in the near-term, the rest as Scouts need a new shirt or pants.

I don't think 1 red and 1 green is appropriate. While the policy is once a uniform always a uniform, the loops come in pairs and I would consider a pair to be a single uniform item.

As for the rest, this is my personal opinion and not a comment on whether it is appropriate or not under the uniform guidelines, but I don't like the idea of switching out the loop colors based on position in the troop.

The position patch is for recognizing a leadership position within the unit. The shoulder loops are for identification of which program type (or level of service for silver and gold) within the BSA organization.

In regards to the unit numerals, if you have them in stock within the troop (perhaps as a one-piece) and give them to the boys that's one thing. But for new purchases, you'd be purchasing a Cub Scout item and placing it on a Boy Scout uniform. Fine line, I know, but think about it.(This message has been edited by nolesrule)