Uniform Shorts Question

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this site here. Seems like a pretty interesting resource.

My son, Paul, is about to turn 16, and he just joined the Boy Scouts here. Paul's scout leader said he was going to give him a bunch of uniforms in his size that had been donated awhile ago and that he would give them to Paul just before departing on his first camping trip.

When I picked him up, I noticed that my son was the one wearing extremely short shorts. These shorts don't even come half way to the knee.

At home, I asked him whether they bothered him, and if I could buy him some longer ones.

He's been saying he's perfectly fine with them.

Do I need to buy him some new ones anyway even though it doesn't bother him or should I let him be? They look like they fit him just fine and he's in good shape. The shorts are clean and in good condition, however they are just really short, probably from the 70's or 80's.

Chad(This message has been edited by ChadW)

Welcome Aboard. Once uniform, always uniform. Except for Sea Scouts, but I aint going there. Seriously if the Scout is uncomfortable, definitely get another pair. Or you can get the newer Switchbacks that are pants that zip off into shorts.

Here's a bit more information for you. Those shorts are probably the ones designed in the 80s by Oscar de la Renta for BSA. They have never been a big hit with Scouts, hence their presence in the donated scout clothing you were provided. The rule for BSA is, leaving aside Sea Scouts, that once an item is approved it is always permissible to be worn for uniformed occasions. If they are clean, serviceable, and not offensive to your son or others then I say be Thrifty and keep wearing them until they are either the wrong size or unserviceable. New Switchbacks are pants that have zippers to allow portions of the legs to be removed changing them into shorts or longer for other purposes when full length pants are not desired.

Welcome to Scouting!!