OA Flap Question

Maybe it's just the curmudgeon in me, but I like being able to look at a person's flap and tell more or less instantly which lodge he or she is with. (Staring at someone's chest to try to decipher the thick embroidered writing isn't the politest move, particularly when it's that of a female Arrowman.)

The proliferation of commemorative flaps kind of negates that. Problem is they're often MUCH snazzier and sharper-looking than the standard lodge flap, which increases the attraction. And if you don't want to get your "real" flap stained or damaged, you'll wear one of the "others."

# # #

Sorry about going off-topic - what's this about doing away with individual honors? Rumor or truth? Did I just miss something?

Twocubdad,

Greetings!

I haven't broken out the OA Advisors manual. But I believe they only explain that a current OA member may wear the pocket flap patch of their lodge. (They do not go into specific detail about all the types of patches, and when the may be worn).

After National OA publications, It is not until you get to the Lodge and Chapter bylaws that they place additional rules on commemorative flaps or special flaps.

I myself, would be proud to wear a patch of events that I have attended or participated. It would be difficult to explain a patch on my shirt, which I have not participated in.

After seeing a mixture of patches on Scouts over the years, it does not upset me or anger me to see a special event lodge flap on a Scout who is an arrowman, but did not attend the event. I do think it is odd, that they are proud to wear a special events patch which they purchased or traded for.

But back to your question. Is it acceptable? Well that is up to your local lodge and their bylaws.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

In reference to why my lodge doesn't issue Ordeal flaps.

The original reasons why the lodge did not want issue Ordeal flaps was the following 1)gives an incentive to new members to get Brotherhood, 2) gives incentive to new members to go to Conclave as we issue a conclave delegate flap. Now there's a third reason: it gives incentive for new Arrowmen to earn lodge's First Year Arrowman Award Flap (a restricted 1 per lifetime flap for those who earn it). There may be a possible fourth reason now: it would be considered a new issue flap and therefor we would have to discontinue issuing the Brothrhood and Vigil flaps that we have an adundance of.

Trust me this has caused lots of discussions among the ECM over the past few years, but the youth want it this way, and the SE said it's OK. Not much that can be changed there.

In reference to no individual honors flaps.

In August or September 2007, National sent out an operations update stating lodges needed to discontinue having individual honor flaps, i.e. red border for Ordeal members, gold for Brotherhood, Silver for Vigils. This update has ticked all of the youth members on the ECM committee. After talking to the SE, he is allowing us to continue with individual honor flaps until our supply is gone, then we need to redesign the flap with no distinctions. As mentioned already, this will take a while because we just restocked our flaps prior to the update.

What's interesting is that at this time, national recommends that restrictions be removed on flaps, but does not require it yet. That was also in the update last year.

Our lodge recently went back to the original lodge flap as THE flap for all members. We are told that all the commemorative flaps are for collecting and trading only, not for uniform wear. Our flap has not changed in design since the lodge was formed in 1948, and when I was inducted in 1970, was limited to "one per lifetime". Years later, there was a huge protest, resulting in arrowmen burning their flaps in protest. Now you can buy all you want, no matter who you are.

National also has done away with Lodge numbers, making many unhappy. As I recall, it was to eliminate the arguments that ensue when councils and lodges combine.

Personally, I would think that "National" would have bigger fish to fry, rather than dictate what flaps should look like.

While I'm not ever going to lose any sleep on it!

I have to admit that it seems to me that many lodges are pandering to the patch collectors.

Badge swapping and Patch Trading was at one time a nice way for Scouts to get to know each other. That seems to be gone and replaced by a very un-scoutlike "What's it worth?" Way of thinking.

We have Lodge members who will try and buy as many flaps as they can and try and corner the market just so they can drive up the price of a flap.

The Lodge knows that if they want to make a few extra bucks all they need do is roll out a new flap.

I was really saddened to watch some of the Scouts at the last Jamboree look at patch trading as a business transaction, one member of the Jamboree Troop paid $35.00 for a patch!

I thought he was nuts!

Maybe with this new toning down of the uniform, lodges will be restricted from all this silliness?

Eamonn

" We are told that all the commemorative flaps are for collecting and trading only, not for uniform wear."

Then why bother having them? If they can't be worn, they should be valueless as a flap because they really aren't a flap, they're just a piece of embroidered cloth that serves no purpose.