Pack Trainer Knot

Has anyone seen the "official" Pack Trainer knot yet? I have found at least 4 different designs on the internet. Any idea which will be the final issue? The first of the applicants will be eligible this Monday, but as best I can tell, these have not yet been sent to the council scout shops, even those who have ordered them.

I talked with one of the personel at the National Scout Shop near my Council. It is also the one next to the National Supply warehouse. I asked if they had any PT knots in stock and was told that they were recalled. They were originally in the design as found on this site.

http://scoutleaderawards.com/awards/packtrainer.asp

They are now being redesigned (supposedly) to have a similar appearance in the knot design to other knots being used.

"The Boyce knot is not quite like the other knots, and hasn't been redesigned."

Oh? I thought they were going to fix it? I was under the impression they had done so, and that the first release was now a rare item because of that.

• 1 month later...

Well, our scout shop finally got in the new Pack Trainer knot. They ordered the right number every week and it kept rejecting for a whole month; eventually the order took. And, no surprise, it is mostly unlike any of the 4 variations I have seen on the internet thus far.

It closely resembles this one in it's style: http://knots.boy-scouts.net/packtrainer.jpg However, it has different shades of blue and yellow than pictured.

This example refelects the colors very well (but not the style): http://meritbadge.org/wiki/images/3/3c/PackTrainerAwardKnot.gif

The result is a bright yellow background with a knot with alternating stands of royal blue and bright yellow. The bright colors combined with yellow on yellow makes it this difficult to even tell it is in the shape of a knot. In fact, it just about gives me a headache to look at it and try to focus. It certainly does not "fit in" with any of the other Cub Scout awards (I don't like the Tiger Leader knot, but I agree that the color combination is a good match to the Tiger program).

I am extremely disappointed that this turned out so...weird, especially since over the last 2 years it went through so many different evolutions. They gave themselves multiple opportunities to get it right and failed repeatedly. Aside from the hideous color combination, the quality of this knot is lower than any patch I have ever seen BSA produce. Any insight as to what is going on "upstairs?"

(This message has been edited by Buffalo Skipper)

Quality control??????? Just flip over the knot and check out that little gold "Made in China" label. That says it all!!!!!!!! There is no quality control.

OBTW, we're buying stuff from a country that refuses to recognize the World Scouting Movement!!!!! Ya gotta love it!!!!(This message has been edited by Eagletrek)

• 2 weeks later...

The knot was recalled because it was issued prematurely... There is a two year tenure along with other requirements, to receive the pack trainer knot..

I work for a national scout shop. We received our pack trainer knots this month, this week to be exact.

The relelased design is different than what is shown on the back of the "Insignia Guide".. It looks like a standard square knot leaders knot with a striped blue & gold knot on a yellow background..

I have been waiting for this knot as well because Im a registered Pack Trainer..

It seems that BSA has been having problems with its knots. If you saw the NESA knot, Speakers knot, PTC knot or the new Commissioners knot you would see what a train wreak they were. I was lucky enough to find all 4 on eBay, the 4 oversized knots. I also have a few of the NESA knots before they were destroyed. I would think BSA has a few suppliers who make the knots but it seems that each knot has its own little differences. I think some of the problem is each division (from what I can tell) controls there own knots. I would love to actually see the Pack Trainer knot. If anyone has a image of it send out my way. Thanks Yeah gotta love the Made in China stickers.....it reminds me when the Army went with black berets and had to send a bunch back that were subcontracted out to a Chinese company but as a recruiter everything I gave away to a potential applicant was "Made in China"

• 3 years later...

The Pack Trainer Award (and associated knot) is still available, but based on an announcement last fall on the BSA's web site, it will be going away soon.

The article says that BSA is consolidating (not eliminating) several cub scouter awards. Pack Trainers will still be able to earn an award, but they will earn the Scouter Training Award, with a cub scouting device on it, rather than a separate Pack Trainer Award and knot.

http://www.cpds.org/Docs/Cub_Scout_Adult_Leader_Awards_to_be_Consolidated.pdf

The original article appeared on the BSA web site in the "Training Times" newsletter at

http://scouting.org/Training/TrainingUpdates/Archives/201111.aspx (it's the fourth article down in the newsletter)

but did not specify any phase out date for the old knots.

So if you are close to earning the Pack Trainer Award (or one of the other awards that are about to be phased out), probably best to get your application in ASAP!

Also the Speakers Bank Award (and knot; and the entire Speakers Bank program) were all eliminated on January 1.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Marketing/Brand/SpeakersBank.aspx

Honestly, as a "speaker" and having earned my knot, I am quite surprised at all of this.

I found out when I went in to log a recent speech.

@Sax - just going back to the "way it was". I consider myself fortunate to have earned a Cubmaster "Key" to go with my SM and Commissioner "Keys". Of course, in those days it took three years ... and I see the CM Award is only two.(This message has been edited by UCEagle72)