Jac-Shirt on close out

www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01CLO&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=CO_APPAREL&C3=&C4=&LV=2&item=541BSJ&prodid=541BSJ^8^01CLO&

Looks like they are really getting the red out, wonder if it will be replaced.(This message has been edited by click23)

"When I checked national supply yesterday, they were not listed anywhere. Ebay here I come. "

Either copy and paste my link or click "CLOSEOUTS" on the top right of any page on scoutstuff.org, then click the picture of the jac-shirt on that page.

X-Small $99.99

Small $99.99

Medium $99.99

Large $99.99 Tall: $99.99

X-Large $99.99 Tall: $99.99

XX-Large $99.99 Tall: $99.99

3X-Large $104.99 Tall: $104.99

4X-Large $104.99 Tall: $104.99

In my council, a lot of Scouters still wear the red jacket. However, most of those jackets are "vintage." (You can tell by the round-topped buttons.) I've heard lots of folks talk about getting a red jacket--some day--but it's hard to swallow the price. When I got mine, seems like it cost less than $50.00. I also have one of the plaid Boy's Life promotion versions from the 60's, and that gets a lot of attention when I wear it. It's also heavier wool and has slash pockets for my hands in addition to the two patch pockets.

OzarksOsage

It may not be "official BSA", but if you want real 100% wool outdoor wear, and to put things in perspective, see www.filson.com

Check out the 'Double Mackenaw Cruiser' coat. Wife gave me one for combo b-day & anniversary. Warm. Tough. Handsome. Not BSA. Made for work. These folks supply timber/lumber workers.

This one from Bemidji Woolen Mills, like the Filson jacket, is not "official," but it is a pretty good substitute for the red wool Jac-Shirt...it is called the "Voyageurs Scout Jacket."

It is a constructed of a denser/heavier wool, cut a bit more generously around the middle, and has two hand-warmer pockets(!). The price is higher than the current close out price on the Jac-Shirt, which may be an incentive to pick up the official BSA model while it is still available.

I have both a Jac-Shirt (dating from the time that they were considerably less than $50) and the Bemidji model, and I consistently reach for the Bemidji version, mainly due to the extra warmth and the hand pockets.

http://www.bemidjiwoolenmills.com/details.php?id=voyscout

In service,

Ken

Sure the jackets cost less back then but gas was 25 cents a gallon and a well paid worker was making $5 an hour.

I have a vintage red jac-shirt that I got on ebay mostly because I think that the material is nicer and the price ($35) didn't hurt.

As usual, I'm astounded by the people that I talk to that complain about the price of Scouting items like the jacket but will spend $300 for a replica NFL jersey. I know a Scouter who rides a Harley and was complaining about he cost of his Scout pants. I pointed out that he wears a Harley jacket, Harley helmet, carries a Harley wallet, and wears a Harley belt and Harley boots as well.

A friend and his wife dine out nearly every night but he says that they don't have cable TV because they can't afford it. Another friend doesn't have internet access because he can't afford it but he has cable TV with all of the premium channels.

It's all a matter of priorities.

As was poninted out on the other thread, it is rumored that the red is out in favor of a new green Jac-Shirt eventually. I think I'll keep wearing my red one. I know red is out on the new uniform, but for me this isn't really about red vs. green, this is about the tradition of the Philmont Jac Shirt itself.

Removal of the Red Coat (AKA the Jac Shirt although I was alway partial to the Bmedji Huntimg Jacket in Red,myself ,more pockets) is prelude to putting the commissioners to sleep...Say it isnt so, Smokey...

When the "Red Coats" are neutralized modern notions of scouting can be just around the corner.

MCCET

OWL

According to the National Supply website this afternoon, the Jac-Shirt is no longer in the closeout apparel section but is now back in the regular BSA apparel section. So what gives, Is National discontinuing it or not, does anybody know?