Tucked or Untucked

Ok this subject may have already been discussed but I didn't see a thread on it.

In the past, we scout leaders have spent a lot of time trying to get the boys to wear their uniforms with pride and in doing so wear their shirts tucked in. Now with the new uniforms, I've noticed they have the shorter square cut tails instead of the scalloped tails on before. The new style is one which is acceptable to be wore untucked. (similar to hawaiian shirts and other outdoor clothing.) Tonight in our meeting we were discussing the shirts and none of us could actually remember anywhere were it actually says Scout shirts are supposed to be tucked in.

What are ya'lls thoughts on this? Is there any actual policy on this?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" Now with the new uniforms, I've noticed they have the shorter square cut tails instead of the scalloped tails on before."

In ten years I've never seen a Scout's shirt with scalloped tails. I have one but I haven't seen any more at the Scout shop for years and years.

Why should the shirt be tucked in? For the same reason that the fly should be zipped and the cap worn bill forward. Because that's the way it should be done.

Yah, for dress occasions I think untucked just looks sloppy and disrespectful, eh? So put me down for "tucked."

But the new uniform is bein' marketed as outdoor gear, too. Here's hopin' it will work well as outdoor gear, and is a uniform that will get dirty, smelly, sweat-stained, dunked in rivers, etc. like the uniform of an outdoor program should.

I can't say I particularly care about tucked or untucked when it comes to outdoor gear. If you're bein' truly active, keepin' a shirt tucked in just seems like unnecessary extra work. So maybe if the new uniform does what it's designed to do, I should lighten up a bit about tucked shirts.

Beavah

Thirty years ago, I wore OG-107 cotton sateen fatigues. In garrison, in fall and winter, we wore them with shirts tucked in.

In the heat of summer, in the field, we wore them shirttails out.

Like Beavah said, use common sense. There will be times where shirt out is right; there will be times where shirt in is right.

OR...

You can be Parlour Scouts, and insist on a "dressy" uniform 24/7/365 no matter what.

Common sense a product often in short supply...

But for me it comes down to the activity being pursued.(below is my opinion only)

If doing the opening (or any other static type activity)at a Troop meeting then tucked, if doing an active activity (game time, etc.)- not chasing anyone down to ask them to tuck it.

If traveling and stopping at a rest stop - tucked.

If hiking and choosing to wear the field uniform then untucked can certainly be appropriate.

If wearing the field uniform on a work project then I might wonder why, if it were chosen to be worn why it wouldn't be tucked - because if it needs to be untucked then shouldn't the job call for an activity uniform?

I don't know of a guideline that is printed that is specific about this but I would suspect that the inspection guide would tell one that an untucked shirt is a gig and would so indicate to some that it should always be tucked.

For me, if one is wearing the field uniform then, in general, I would expect to see it tucked. But I also see room for reasonable exceptions.

I appreciate your comments. Personally I always tuck even my T-shirts. That's just what I find comfortable. In discussing it with my own two boys (who are in scouts and notorious for be untucked) we concluded that for meeting and COH and other events which call for more formality, then tucked is appropriate. But for outdoor activities including travel, untucked would be sufficient. We were discussing that if we are more lenient for the latter part then the scouts would be more willing to comply for the former. This will be a discussion topic for the next PLC and Committee meeting.

"I can't say I particularly care about tucked or untucked when it comes to outdoor gear. If you're bein' truly active, keepin' a shirt tucked in just seems like unnecessary extra work. "

I managed to do about 100 miles on the AT and 80 miles at Philmont last year with my shirt tucked in. It isn't that big of a problem.

"Heck how do we ever expect them to ever make ethical choices when we go around telling them how to dress??"

Ethical choices require guidelines.