• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B-P said he wore the uniform to show the boys that an adult is not above wearing the same uniform that the boys wear. If we want the scouts to wear their awards proudly, we should not be shy of wearing what we have earned.

If another adult leader asked me how I earned those knots, I would tell him/her, but I've never been asked.

Boys, on the other hand, have asked me about my knots and beads. When I tell them, they seem to think it's cool, and that is enough reason for me to wear them.

I am a Den Leader in a relatively small and new Pack. The Pack just celebrated it's 5th birthday.

When I arrived as a leader (my son being a new Tiger), there was only one leader that had been a Scout as a boy. All the others had missed the opportunity but were very pleased to change that for their sons.

As I have taken on more responsibility (some times WAY too much... nothing like showing you can do more) I found myself trying to show these adults all of the assets and opprotunities that are provided to adults to grow as leaders and good quality people. The boys look to us for an example, advise, and knowledge... but we gain som much from them as well.

No one in my Pack had ever even heard of adult knots. They had toiled and sacrificed for the Pack and made things happen for the boys.

Recently, I have fully integrated the Adult knots into the program. It adds the next level of direction for adult.. the requirements tell them a lot of times "what next?" when they may not know.

I had the privelege of handing out the new knots/certificates to the leaders recently at a Pack meeting. I explained to the boys how the adults had "earned" their badge just as they do... and truthfully, the adults looked so humbled to receive their recognition.

I am a firm believer that adults should wear ALL of their knots... if for no other reason than to remind themselves that they are appreciated, following in the footsteps of a wonderful program, and a teacher/mentor/friend/leader that has "EARNED THEIR STRIPES".

Another question about knots what about a youth wearing the Arrow of Light knot? While actually wearing the Arrow of Light Patch under their pocket?

Arrow of Light Award, cloth, red and green knot, green to right, No. 05018, Scouter only, above left pocket.

"Arrow of Light Award, cloth, red and green knot, green to right, No. 05018, Scouter only, above left pocket. " Sorry this is what is says on scouting.org

It isn't too clear just figured I would as since is says "Scouter only"

I think we need to be careful about making generalizations about Scouters wearing row upon row of knots, or not wearing any. We have a couple of Scouters in our District that have numerous rows of knots. Both, I consider, to be wonderful examples of adults leaders. Both are gentleman I enjoy talking to and seek advice in ways to improve our Troop's program. I also know leaders who have earned, but do not wear, knots. Again, long time Scouters doing a great job. On the other hand, I know Scouters with shirts full of knots who in my mind are poor examples of leaders. Others probably have earned knots, but don't know about the program for adults, or they simply choose not to wear them.

For me, I have seven knots with one more on the way. I just bought a new uniform shirt and haven't sewn the knots on yet. I have to say, I rather like the very clean look of my new shirt and may sew on only a few knots with special importance to me. Perhaps since I'm now working at the Boy Scout level, I may decide to leave the Cub Scout leader knots off the shirt.

Sorry, I'm back in boy scouts as a leader after having been a scout in the late 70's early 80's. I was thinking "Scouter" was a boy scout not an adult leader that is what my confusion with the scouting.org explaination.

Boy, has this topic been beaten to death, but it lives on anyway. I've stated my position before, so here it is again: I just love scouting and all that it entails. Somehow, once you've been in it awhile, it just gets in your blood. I'm a CC for a Venture Crew, but I do mostly District stuff now, except I just took on the Council Venturing Advancement Chair position. (I have a problem saying no.)

For all I do in scouting, one of the byproducts of my volunteerism is being awarded occassionally. I have 12 knots now and I wear them all. Yes, I have actively sought out to achieve most of them, but what I did for the boys, the units I am UC for, and Venturing, I can only hope I made a contribution to make the scouting program(s) better through my efforts. I have been asked to speak at several Eagle Scout Ceremony's through the years. This is probably my greatest satisfaction in scouting, to see a young man reach the pinnacle of the BSA for youth, knowing he has the put forth the effort and will most likely be successful in his adult life.

There is no right or wrong on how many knots to wear, or which ones. Mike Walton wears 15 on his uniform. (He is Nationally known--the USSSP website, his own website on uniforms, Scouting Digest Magazine, and much more). Although, I believe it would be tacky to wear anymore. Oh yes, Craig Murray, Mr. Venturing in the BSA, has earned 18, but he wears 12. (Sageventure.com)

As to the new knots coming out--Philmont, Commissioners Doctorite, and that Speaker one, I say, so what. Everything evolves, even the BSA. There are probably a few knots that should be eliminated. However, I still think a knot for the OA Vigil Honor should still be established. I created a topic on that subject about 2 years ago--the forum vote was about 50-50, but I've given up on that cause long ago.

Question, why did Venturing decide to go with ribbons and ribbon bars instead of knots for the Bronze Award? When I had the chance to ask, it didn't occur to me to ask the question. Now several years later it's dawned on me, WHY? Was it one of the hold overs from Exploring?

I am curious because I know of one person who has earned the Sea Scout Bronze award ribbon, but never wears the ribbon except when in that particular uniform.

Also when did they switch the design for that particular bronze award? The one I've seen has an anchor on it, but this page has the First Class Anchor on it..

http://www.scouting.org/Venturing/Awards/bronze.aspx

Thanks.(This message has been edited by eagle92)

I hate the contradictive stance on wearing "ribbon bars". If you read in the insignia guide it more or less states you are not allowed to wear military ribbons but if you red the venturing hand book it states venturing uses "campaign style ribbons" I would never wear my Army ribbons on my scout shirt but it seems that scouting is somehow against those who serve. I do however wear my Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal (miniature)

On my nice scout shirt because I have a Community Organization Knot (by virtue of earning a MOVSM).

This might be another thread but I heard last week Sea Scouting was breaking out from Venturing?