While at Webelos Resident Camp this last weekend there was an inspection and one of the gentleman had 10 plus knots on his shirt pocket and I thought man that is a lot of knots.

How many knots and or medals can some one wear at all times?

For some reason I thought (that is the first problem my wife will tell you) that I read some where you could only wear 6 knots or medals or a combination of 6 knots and metals.

Where exactly can I find this information in the BSA Uniform Insignia Guide?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the insignia guide, only five medals may be worn in a single row above the pocket but seems to be no limit to the number of knots or the number of medals worn on neck ribbons.

If I had earned 10 knots, I'd be wearing them.

Actually, As I recall the only mention of a specific limit to the number of knots allowed to be worn is referenced in the Sea Scout manual for the adult Sea Scout uniform (Max 6 knots), I think it was around page 41 or so. Maybe Bob White can confirm for me as I don't have my Sea Scout manual with me.

While I was as Sea Badge training, there was a leader there with 7 full rows of knots. 21 total. After completing Sea Badge, he may have started an 8th row.(This message has been edited by GNX Guy)

I'm sure that if BSA wanted to limit the number of knots, they would have published it more places than the Sea Scout Manual. I would think the BSA Uniform Insignia Guide might have been a better choice.

The only time the Sea Scout Manual would have come into play would be if this person was a Sea Scout, after all they play by different rules than many of those prescribed by BSA for the Boy Scout and Cub Scout programs/uniforms/etc.

Stosh

From the BSA website

Only five medals may be worn at a time pinned in a single row immediately above the seam of the left pocket. Knots are worn above the left pocket in rows of three. The order of wearing of medals and knots is at the discretion of the wearer. It is suggested that the medal or knot deemed most important by the wearer be worn on his or her own right. Embroidered knots are representative of pin-on medals or around-the-neck awards and are designed for the convenience of the wearer.

http://www.scouting.org/media/insigniaguide/10K.aspx

I realized that but did those reading the thread keep up to see that the thread was veering off topic and that by implying the Sea Scouts do it a certain way meant it was universal for everyone else?

Stosh

Question:

What is your opinion on the wearing of square knots on the adult Scouter uniform? Not talking about the quantity (how much is too much? or), but rather the wearing of the square knots in the first place.

Some have stated that such recognition should be "for the boys" and leaders don't need to be wearing "salad."

Thoughts, ideas, comments?

The topic of whether a knot should be worn or not was a topic last night at Roundtable. (I should have said knight)

One scoutmaster made the case that since we encourage the youth to earn ranks and acheivements, and show them on the uniform, should we not also?

If we expect the youth to be proud of being a scout and their acheivements, why shouldn't we?

I will have to say I agree with OGE on this one, wearing knots shows kids that as adults take pride in wearing our uniforms and in our achievements, so should they.

I personally don't have any knots yet but will wear them if and when I get them to show that I earned it. I do think after a while you are just showing off with more than 12 it just looks like you are sending a message that you have a lot of knots and you want people to know it.

I do however disagree the new Philmont knot, that is just a knot you buy. Sure it is good training but it really isn't open to everyone just those with enough money to go. It doesn't say I have been to some good training and am working hard to do my best for these boys, it says I have the money to go to Philmont and I got this knot because of it.

I also agree with OGE and anyone else who wears knots for whatever reason. Knots are part of scouting and part of the uniform, so wear them with pride.

That being said, I don't wear knots. I have abnormal fear of letting such things go to my head, so I leave temptation in my dresser drawers. Since I'm not as active with scouting right now, I am thinking of mounting them in a frame before I loose them.

I also don't like to wear my WB Beads, but will do so at WB events so as not to stick out and become a conversation piece. I know it is silly and I agree. We all have our querks I guess.

I love this scouting stuff.

Barry