Troop wear out dates for new numerals

I have also heard that you are not suppose to wear patches and other parts of a older or newer uniform... so if you are wearing the standard uniform that we wear now the so called 1981 unifrom then you have to wear the patches that were meant for that shirt. If you want to wear the new colors and patches meant for the new shirt then you have to go to the new shirt.

Anyone know if this is true... don't remember where I heard it and have no info to back it up, but it seems to make sense to me.

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

Helping leaders one resource at a time....

We have a custom number/veteran's patch (with the name of the town as well) but I believe it comes from an independent patch shop rather than the BSA. I'm guessing we probably have a two-year supply for new Scouts/adults at this point, and I am sure we are not going to trash them just because the BSA changed the colors. I also doubt that we are going to ask anyone to change patches. When the old patches run out, I assume new ones will be ordered to be given to the new recruits, so it will probably be a number of years before the white-on-red patches disappear. (If ever; after all, we have one ASM who wears the pre-1972 patch for his position on an otherwise up-to-date uniform.)

As for the shoulder loops, I also don't think we will be asking anyone to buy the new loops, even though they are fairly inexpensive. Of course, the new boys/adults will have no choice but to buy the new loops, so for some time we will probably have a small rainbow (no political statement intended) of shoulder loops. It sort of defeats the purpose of having the loops in the first place, but so be it.

"I have also heard that you are not suppose to wear patches and other parts of a older or newer uniform... so if you are wearing the standard uniform that we wear now the so called 1981 unifrom then you have to wear the patches that were meant for that shirt. If you want to wear the new colors and patches meant for the new shirt then you have to go to the new shirt."

There is no prohibition on wearing older patches.

I see no reason to REQUIRE a Scout to purchase all new uni. Most will be wearing out or outgrowing the old anyway. And those that don't outgrow'em will likely only need'em for a year or two more. Unless the Jamboree REQUIRES the new uni (natch).

NEWS ITEM:

DATELINE: New Town, New Jersey

HEADLINE: ""Troop Wear Out Dates for New Numerals""

"Scoutmaster Scrub Down of Scout Troop 9999 pronounced the Troops latest activity a great success. "Yessir, I didn't think much of the idea at first, but those boys really did a good job planning and executing," said Down.

"The boys invited the Girl Scout Troop for dates, served up the ice cream, organized the square dance and everything. I tell you, they were really tired but happy at the end of the night. Raised almost $500 for the church building fund."

The St. Ignatious Numerals Catholic Church has been planning their expansion for over a year now. Father Reilly Enferther said he appreciated the Scouts efforts. "Our new Numerals will be built that much faster, thru the efforts of these Scouts",

praised Father Enferther."

In response to Cubmaster Mike.

National Supply will not make you a set of one piece numerals with the veteran unit bar until August 15th. They will however make you a one piece set of the unit numerals in the new green right now. They will not take a phone order on this item number. The order must be mailed or faxed in using item number 18084 and they are priced at $2.09 each.

I had to rattle them a little bit to get them to make these numbers in advance, but they will do it. The girl tried to tell me that they will do nothing with the new uniform prior to August 15th. I asked "well being as these numbers take a few weeks, don't you think I can order them now so that when you sell me a uniform I have some numbers to sew on it?". Of course, "she had to check". I tried to get the veteran bar included but for some odd reason that has to wait until the 15th. Go figure! In 16 months we will be ready for a new veteran bar anyhow, so I went with the solid numerals sans veteran bar for now.

insanescouter,

Once insiginia has been approved by the National Council, it is official. You may wear any insignia from any era that reflects your current status in Scouting. If you are a SM and want to wear a Scoutmaster's patch from the 70's; then have at it!

There are some insigina that have time-limits on them (usually Jambo related), and need to heed on the side of caution when wearing such insignia.

Uniform parts however, are a different story. For consistantcy, stick to wearing all the same style of whatever uniform you decide (new or old). Just looks better!

LCScouter

www.longcanescouting.org

So here we are a week out from the rollout date. Has anyone seen anything official about this? I don't recall anything in BL or Scouting magazines (although I haven't made and specific search and I'm not going to take the time to dig out back issues). There's nothing on the web site. The Scout Stuff site is still running only a teaser.

Can we expect something definitive? Maybe even an official FAQ? Roundtable sessions? Anything? Or are we left to guess, speculate and conjure info from 1981?

Unless the BSA Uniform Police kick my door down and drag me up in front of all my peers at the Council Dinner and point out what a loser I am for still wearing the old numerals, I'm going to just keep wearing them until the Badge Magic wears out, I burn a hole in my shirt because I was playing in the fire, or small toddlers and babies begin to cry everytime I come near. Maybe I can velcro the new ones over the old ones...?????

Stosh

The Milwaukee Scout Shop was clearing space for the new uniforms, but I don''t think they received a shipment yet. I had to stop in to buy a new belt (I lent a Boy Scout one to a CIT at the camp I worked at, because I wore my Venturing belt, and he never gave it back), and everything was being rearranged and moved out of the way.