You don't!!

I have yet to see anyone remove that leftover mark. Just sew a new patch over it.

I really wish they would stop selling it as newbies try it and then have to get new shirts. (they always see to start with the temp patches :( )

It is really not hard to sew patches on; one or two poked fingers is not much bother. :p(This message has been edited by firekat)

I can tell you from experience, don't send your uniform to the dry cleaners the day before the District Awards Dinner, because you will get your uniform back in one bag, and your patches in another!

Their website says to use Goof Off (not Goo Gone) and I have used that to some success as well.

I was wondering if anyone has found a better way.(This message has been edited by jimster)

I can tell you from experience, don't send your uniform to the dry cleaners the day before the District Awards Dinner, because you will get your uniform back in one bag, and your patches in another!

So did it take the hard and crusty out of the shirt? The website says it does.

Badge Magic is OK, but it is NOT built to last in my opinion. The biggest issue is lining up the patches with the magic perfectly. If you miss some, you get the "peeling patch" look on your uniform.

I personally use it to place patches, then I take the shirt to my tailor who does the sewing for me. That way we do not argue about patch placement.

Oh yes - I only use it for the permanent patches on my uniform shirt.

I hate this stuff. My boys show up with a huge black fuzzy glob on thier uniform where a patch used to be and it looks really really bad. Personally I've never used it and probably never will. I've had people tell me dry cleaning is supposed to get it out, but they used Goof Off with better success.

I'm with Gunny, good 'ol needle and thread works great!

I use badge magic to place a patch properly when lins will not do, then hand sew it in place. I have removed badges and followed the instructions for adhesive removal as shown on the badge magic website and it works as promised.

Taking badges to tailors to sew them on? I don't consider myself an oldster but as a Scout it was expected that we sew our own uniforms. Matter of fact, at the old Troop Leader Development course in the late 70s, when you showed up, you were given a patch and expected to sew it onto your uniform for that week of camp.

The only thing that looks worse than Badge Magic letting loose and having curled corners is velcro with curled corners.

By the way, how does one get velcro on the uniform? Sew it or glue it?

I sew badges on a weekly basis for myself. I have it down to where it takes me less than 3-4 minutes to get a patch on.

Stosh

I have not found a cloth friendly solvent that will remove OLD BM. If it is NEW, and not set with ironing or long dryer time, it will come off and out of the cloth with dry cleaning fluid. Carbon Tetrachloride worked for me there. Good ventilation, please!. Least, mine did. But old stuff , uh-huh.

So why the plastic coat on the back of the badge? Makes it hard to sew thru. The older style, only cloth badges were easy to sew on. The plastic backing necessitates using a thimble to push the needle thru. Tough.

If done right one does not need a thimble. Instead of trying to nail through a sheet of cast iron, just snag the stitching that is always around the edge of every patch and stay away from the glue/plastic. I have no trouble whatsoever with this method and holds the patch as securely as sewing through the plastic. After all the edging is through the plastic, so just catch the edging. As a mater of fact one can totally hide the stitching doing this edge method even if one uses a totally different color of thread. The only patch that doesn't have the edging all the way to the edge are the numerals. They can be more difficult to hide the stitches.

Stosh