So exactly where does the World Crest go?

Ok -- so centered above the left pocket -- that's easy -- then half way between the top of the pocket but from the pocket to the seam --

on my sons XL youth uniform -- there's nearly 8" from the top of the pocket to the seam at the shoulder --

and I have never seen one of these patches up as high 4" above the pocket --

what am I missing -- halfway to the seam - at the very top of the shirt?

(feeling a little dense tonight -- and trying to get the new summer camp uniforms ready!)

Thanks -- Pete

As long as it is on there only the most extreme of the uniform police will get out their tape measure and check distances. As long as it looks OK it should be fine. If I were you I would send the old uniform to summer camp to get all nasty and save the new uniform for the COH afterwards. We actually have kids in our troop that have a camp uni and a dress uni the camp ones acquire mustard, ketchup, and other stains as they are required to wear them to dinner!

What the Insignia Guide actually says is "centered horizontally over the left pocket and vertically between the top of the pocket and the shoulder seam." how far that will be in inches from the top of the pocket depends entirely on the size of the shirt you wear. In any case the proper proportionate location is halfway, the exact distance is not relevant.

I place the World Crest halfway between the top of my pocket and the begining of the epaulets. That's the simpliest for me.

I will use a yard stick, and place the edge over the pocket so the edge touches the bottom point of the pocket and pocket flap, so I will know the horizontal halfway point, then move the world crest along that edge until its halfway between the top of the pocket and epaults.

This is why I wish National would sew the world crest on the uniform like they do with the american flag. Most other scout associations do that. Heck, the philippine uniform embroidered the world crest on their uniform.

• 4 weeks later...

the world crest is one that has me a bit confused. i've been gone from scouts for nearly 20 years, and i know skill awards are gone (hey, i earned them all... can i get a knot ;-> ) and a few other changes. last year when i saw a scout at our church, i asked him about his world crest - i thought it was for participation in an international event like a world jamboree. he couldn't really tell me why it was on his uniform, only that it was there when he got it. well everyone in the troop had one, so it didn't seem likely that all of them bought second hand uniforms from world jamboree participants.

as for where it goes, it goes over the left pocket. if there is a lot of space, i'd err in the side of keeping it closer to the pocket.

"The crest is not embroidered on the new shirt. Same patch as is now. Boy Scouts of America, however, is embroidered directly on the shirt - as oppposed to a sewn on strip."

Uh, the BSA is NOT embroidered on the shirt. I took a good look at one in our scout shop. It seems glued on in some way.

"The flag is attached to the sleeve, not sewn."

The flag is some kind of woven affair, and attached in a similiar manner as the BSA 'strip'.

Not even glue, emb. It's some form of plastic fused onto the shirt. If it's as bad as the ink on Army nametapes (before we insisted on embroidered names), it'll be faded away in a year.

I plan to find a couple of old shirts and salvage the strip from them, and replace the fusing with something which will hold up.

I remember a session at National Camping School probably 10 or 12 years ago. We had a session with a rep from then National Supply Division. The question was raised about the extra pockets that were, at the time, missing from uniform pants and shorts. The reason they stopped those at the time was that the added cost to sew these pockets on at the manufacturer was in the neighborhood of fifty cents each. A relatiely small figure until we multiply by the thousands we produce.

All this is to say that this could be the reason behind not applying the World Crest to the uniform shirt. As for the flag, I have noticed that it is similar in manufacture to the emblems on British uniform shirts that I have seen on International Staff members as well as at their Scout Shops in London. I actually believe that, if we follow the cleaning guidelines....cold water wash, machine dry low (I use the cotton setting)...there should be no issue.

Have a great day!

Wil

" The reason they stopped those at the time was that the added cost to sew these pockets on at the manufacturer was in the neighborhood of fifty cents each. A relatiely small figure until we multiply by the thousands we produce."

I don't buy that. So the cost goes up half a buck and the retail price goes up by six bits. Would the difference between $35 and $35 keep anyone who wanted the pants from buying them? Maybe if they went from $35 to $50.