Red Jack-Shirts

If you are looking to add to your scout collectibles you may want to hold on to your red jack-shirt. It would make sense that if they BSA is looking to have a more low impact uniform by removing red that they will change the official jack-shirt and windbreaker also.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me think about this:

Wool: Renewable resource. Sheep eat grass, grow wool, it gets shorn, repeat cycle. Not flammable

Nylon, polyester, polypropolene: Non-renewable resource, consumes high dollar petroleum, flammable.

This is a bad decision! Better to offer a second color (I've seen a jac-shirt in a fairly deep green that looks actually better than red) than to dump wool for any other material.

I've seen the green one online also. There is a company that makes a high quality knock off of the BSA red wool jacket, can't remember the name, I think the main difference is the pockets are on an angle instead of straight or something like that.

Does anyone remember who the other company is? Also, I think the price is nice too.

G

"Since the uniform is now predominantly green and tan it would be logical that the jackets would change to one of those colors as well."

Why? The red jack-shirt was introduced when the entire uniform was green.

As for poly-razmataz jackets, my red fleece jacket was made out of recycled coke bottles. That might be better than having sheep produce methane.

Because GW the BSA has stated that they are removing the red from the uniform to tone it down. The jacket is likley to change based on what the new uniform IS, not on what the past uniforms USED TO BE.

Ahhh...the retro look. The green wool jac-shirt (not "jack") was worn by scouts in the 60's. Red was for adults and Explorers. (Coordinated with the garter tabs on the knee socks). I believe they were made by Woolrich. There also was a limited edition green/red plaid.

Check out any BSA catalog from that era. Not many scouts wore them, because even back then, they were expensive, relatively speaking.

Some of you guys really seem to like to bicker. More than some of my 12 year old Scouts. As I tell them, it's mean spirited, not helpful, boring, and not representative of what it means to be a Scout. Perhaps you can just share email adresses and keep your comments between yourselves?

NC:

What say we ask Dave Richardson when we see him Monday at the PTC NLAS conference? He may be a Relationships guy, but I'll bet he knows who to ask. Then we can report back here with a name and a position at National...

There's a saying I once heard, and it really ought to be the subject of a Scoutmaster minute: Knowledge is power... but only when it is shared.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

"The green wool jac-shirt (not "jack") was worn by scouts in the 60's. Red was for adults and Explorers."

Hmmmm . . . in 1966, I was given a red wool Boy Scout jacket by a friend of my mother's whose son had dropped out of Scouting. It was waaay too big for me so I got to wear it for nearly five years. Of course, after I outgrew it, it was passed on to someone else. I wish that I still had it :-(