T-Shirt regulating

The only policy I've ever heard of is about vulgar, obscene, sexually suggestive, or racist pictures or slogans. Even that shouldn't be necessary and could be handled on an individual basis. I've never heard of any policy prohibiting a band, team, theater, or any plain or non-BSA T-shirt. Has anyone else?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, due to reactions to other posts, let me state that this is aimed at no one in particular, any quotes are used for examples. All posts are meant in true Scout spirit. Now that THAT disclaimer is out of the way :)

"I'm reminded that the first point of the Scout Law is "A Scout is Trustworthy". What does such a policy say to Scouts and their parents about being trustworthy if camps aren't willing to trust that Scouts (and their parents) won't bring inappropriate t-shirts to camp unless told not too?"

Interesting point and one I almost agreed with before realizing that we don't expect people to know what is appropriate without guidelines. One person's interpretation of "acceptable" will vary widely from another. This is why streets have posted speed limits, merchandise has posted prices, school work has posted due dates, and most activities have posted expectations for wear. These are but a few examples. Without posted guidelines, people are left to their "best guess" which may or may not be best for everyone involved, even if it is intended to be.

" Without posted guidelines, people are left to their "best guess" which may or may not be best for everyone involved, even if it is intended to be."

Again I come back to us as an organization doing our best to help our youth members make ethical choices.

When we have posted guidelines in place what choice is there?

Isn't it better that Scouts choose to do what is right rather than being told what is right?

Eamonn.

I went and looked at my Council Scout Camp leader guides.

Frankly, there is more dress code for ADULTS (1 pc bathing suits for women, no sleeveless shirts or blouses, no open toed shoes) than there are for the youth.

Is the horse dead yet?

I didn't know we were talking about horses.

E,

The problem here is that no everyone, especially today, has the same values of what is right and wrong and especially what may be offensive to others. The problem may actually be more with the parents than the youth.

If you say to the Scout, "Do you think that that shirt is appropriate for Scouting," he'll probably say, "nah, you're right. I'll wear something different." Now the parents get involved. "He has a right to express himself. If others are offended, too bad."

Years ago, I was officiating a high school age recreation basketball game. A horrible player from a horrible team tracked my partner and me down between games and started telling us how horrible we were. I said, "young man, this league has a rule prohibiting you from verbally accosting the officals or staff before, during, or after the game. You have just earned the priveledge of sitting on the bench next week." At that, his father tore into me telling me how his son had a "right" to express his feelings. I told the father, "America starts outside those doors, in here is Gold Wing land and the constituion is suspended. BTW, you are not allowed in the gym next week." They left muttering that they were going to get me fired. Oddly, I reffed for many years before my knees gave out.

That's easy! Horses don't even wear shirts so they have nothing to worry about, dead or not ;)

Actually my son went to NYLT and that paperwork said he needed to have a full week's supply of FULL BSA UNIFORM. It said (and I quote), "ONLY THE OFFICIAL UNIFORM - SHIRT and SHORTS or PANTS ARE ACCEPTABLE"

That indicates to me that it's a policy of some kind. The Required items list says the same thing, must have short sleeve uniform shirts, at least 2 pairs of uniform shorts or pants, official belt and buckle, and Interestingly enough it does say he can have "plain or Scout related T-shirts" so he packed those too.

I think whoever spurged this "policy" on you Diver66, was full of some very fat bologna!

At most scouting events I've been, its been accepted policy that only plain or scouting-related t-shirts are acceptable.

No one claims its some kind of National policy, just that its accepted policy at that event.

No one is punished or tossed out of the event for not following it.

Seems that some want to make a mountain out of a mole-hill.

We just had our annual Pack Campout / Graduation Ceremony at a local private campground. We attracted everyone's attention & esp. that of a few old Scouters who walked up and checked us out. We had a mix of full uniform and our gold pack t-shirts with our logos. We had our usual kick-off briefing about camp behavior and putting our best image forward in the public eye and I linked it to our uniform ( or pack shirts).. Some boys were in neither (at least one shirt of "that dreaded mouse".. I think it "sunk in" on the Mickey Mouse boy when I asked him aside why he did not at least have his Pack T-Shirt.

I don't think this is TShirt regulating per say (in terms of vulgarity etc), but more about setting standards and expectations - This is part of building a team mentality.

I don't know if it's dictated by National, but a plain or scout related T-shirt policy for Class B's has been in my troop as long as I can remember. It makes sense because some T-shirts can be quite offensive or erotic. If you are ever in New Jersey, just visit the boardwalk in Wildwood and you will see.

Even with this policy in place, I have seen some of my boys push the limit with some of their T-shirts they wear. I have seen the beer shirts, like Rolling Rock and Heineken. I have also seen the "tour shirts" for bands like Grateful Dead and Ozzy Ozborne.

The words and images printed on these shirt are contrary to the scout oath and law. How can you teach a boy to be mentally awake while he is wearing a tee shirt with the symbol of a pot leaf on it?

Currently the BSA designates two uniforms the "official uniform" and the "activity Uniform" (clss A and B are miltary terms and hve no official meaning in the BSA)

A Scout may use the Scout salute when wearing either uniform.

The BSA deisgnates what items constitute the uniforms. For the Activity Uniform the BSA designates a Scouting related t-shirt or sport shirt with scout shorts or pants, scout belt, and scout socks.

Anything worn other than the prescribed uniforms is not disallowed by the BSA, but it is not "in uniform".

Local units ands camps have the authority to restrict whatever they want but they do not have the authority to alter the two uniforms.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

When did "official" replace "field"?

Good question, acco. I think the "official" uniform and the "field" uniform are one in the same. The current on-line catalog uses the word "official". Seems to be one of those ever changing things!

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10