Big Headed Cub Scout Leader

What's a scout leader to do when your head is too big for the Scouter hat choices?

I'm a new Tiger leader and am fully uniformed except for the hat. Tiger and Cub hats don't fit, the Expedition hat doesn't fit, I'd love a Campaign Hat but my scout shop doesn't have them in stock, and I'm not inclined to buy 125.00 hat that may/may not be uniform to begin with. Anyone know who makes the Expedition hat, maybe I can buy a non BSA hat from them that looks identical and then slap the pin on it.

Anyone else run into this problem? What thoughts do you have?

Our uniform requirements in the pack are not as strictly adhered to as I would like, however, leaders being out of uniform seems like a bad precedent.

Rythos

Don't forget to shop the Army surplus store for campaign hats. If you aren't going to use a hat press to keep the brim flat you can often buy them with some "character" built in. Ours has new "off-brand" ones for $40, the rough ones go as low as $25.

Also your Scout store should special order in any size you need if they don't have it in stock, if it is indeed made that large.

You should be able to find 7 7/8ths, even if it is thru a special order.(This message has been edited by Gunny2862)

Thanks for the tips folks, I check the size conversion and the WSO Hat will be a 7 3/4, too small for charlie brown sized head over here :)

I had checked on the Army Surplus angle and its nearly impossible to find the Campaign hat bigger than 7 3/4 anywhere. I'm thinking I'll may just end up going with something like this:

http://www.noggintops.com/page.cfm?p=235

in the olive And slap a pin on it until I can justify the expense of the office BSA campaign hat for 120.00. They will have to mesure me or guarantee I can bring it back if it doesn't fit though.

As I said, if I could buy the expedition hat I'd snap it up, but they apparently don't make that hat (or anything else like it) in my size.

Appreciate the suggestions all,

Ry(This message has been edited by rythos)

Trust me I know the feeling. I have tried the Bushmans hats. Have you tried the XL version. I think that is what I would need.

Try looking at ebay for your hats. They usually have some with reasonable prices if you can find one.

Hats for leaders are optional.

I've always been told that as long as it has a BSA logo on it, it's good, so buying a lookalike and putting a pin on it works.

Someone I know wanted a campaign hat. I think he said he had a size 8 head. He found a look alike hat online and put a pin on it and you wouldn't know it wasn't the real thing. I don't know where he got it though.

FYI, our Scout Shop doesn't require that you purchase a special order as long as you aren't ordering everything all the time and not buying much.

If it doesn't fit or isn't like what it seemed like you thought it was in the catalog they just put it inventory and hope someone else decides they need it.

Scout Shops don't carry every item in every possible size; the catalog does. The campaign hat comes in size 7 7/8 for $95. Add 3.50 for a pin.

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01RTL&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=UNIFORMS&C3=UHATS&C4=&LV=3&item=501CH&prodid=501CH^8^01RTL&'>http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01RTL&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=UNIFORMS&C3=UHATS&C4=&LV=3&item=501CH&prodid=501CH^8^01RTL&

Or http://www.scoutstuff.org/

click on Uniforms & Insignia, click on Hats

I have the same problem, but my hat size is an 8. Needless to say I've had a bit of problems finding hats. When I was a boy I just couldn't wear one, due to not being able to find one. That was before you could look on the internet for one.

I've found some campaign hats, but I didn't think Cub Scout leaders could wear them.

I did make one of my own, but I know it's not an official hat. It's just a blue Flexfit ball cap with a cub scout patch that I found on the internet. It's what they used to use on the old wolf and bear hats before they had the rank badge on the hats. It may be copy. I'm not sure.

If I go ahead become a Boy Scout leader when my son goes into Boy Scouts. I'm not sure which route I will go. I wish the BSA would supply big enough hats. Shame the new hats on the Centennial hats aren't flexible fit hats.