Deal or No Deal Scouter

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From: http://www.boyscouttrail.com/scoutmastermusings.asp

And we wonder why boys are afraid to wear their uniform or let on that they are Scouts.. If I were a Boy Scout watching this guy, I would be horribly embarrased.

These pics at the link above are "dorkyness" defined. They also bring out the worst in the uniform -socks to neckerchief ! regardless of where the patches are worn.

A few years back some beebop girl's singing group wore Scout uniforms like the girls on this show and the BSA went after them and their producers (at least in terms of an offical statement forcing an apology)

This Scouter and this show did nothing but help drive Scouting deeper into the pit.

He should be ashamed.

Go get em' BSA Lawyers !

• 1 month later...

"These pics at the link above are "dorkyness" defined. They also bring out the worst in the uniform -socks to neckerchief ! regardless of where the patches are worn."

Dorkyness is in the eye of the beholder. BSA could decide to wear NBA style baggy shorts and singlets with ball caps worn backwards and that still wouldn't make the boys WANT to wear the uniform.

For the record, I consider baggy shorts and backwards ball caps to be the epitome of dorkyness.

• 1 month later...

Interesting to see the comments. I'm actually an Assistant Scout Master. We have 3 boys still in our program. We're in a interesting area in town and the activity of the boys is directly influenced by their parents. I find it interesting that people ask about what I did with the money for the scouts. Join our troop and find out I guess. I would suggest the people that criticize that portion of it make a donation to the Friends of Scouting and then come talk to me. Have a troop where none of the boys can afford the stuff needed to complete the scouting requirements for Eagle, then come talk to me. Have a wife with a major illness and be told you'll never have kids, then come talk to me. If it were me personally, I would want to get the full story. The badge, I placed it there by mistake a while ago. It was of no fault to DOND. I sent an old picture of me in the uniform just before the show. I wonder, what if I had been on the show as a normal person and then made a big donation to the Friends of scouting. What if I gave a good chunk of the change to a friends charity who was diagnosed with ALS at the age of 22. What about a humanitarian fund that reaches all around the world in terms of relief. What would be the comments on the board then? I guess the good news is that it's up to me what I do with it. Thanks for the insight though, I still dont know what to think of it all.

• 2 weeks later...

Adam you are the man.

to have the you know whats to appear in your uniform on TV is great.

To see the folks on this board who are the same ones who go on and on ad nausea about the religious basis of scouts and then to tell someone that they are too big for the uniform, that whatever is in the wrong spot and then to make comments about the girls in the uniforms, give me a break.

I have actually READ the bible though I dont feel the need to bring up this point to make myself look or feel better than others. I do know the story of Mary Madelene - he who is without sin can cast the first stone. A lot of stones have been cast at this scout master.

now I know what i can be for Halloween - the uniform police.

And if I wear my scout shirt with a low cut tank under it to show my cleavage, I am sure that all on this board would approve as you all approved of the Brittany Spear's esque Deal or no deal outfits. Maybe my motto can be "female scouts: bringing sexy back".

But seriously this is much less funny. Its pretty sad. Adam, ignore them. They are jealous of the attention and the money you got. You go guy!

so the message we are sending to our sons is that if your dad oggles chicks in cut off scout uniforms its GOOD, but if your mom wears a scout shirt with too many buttons open its wrong.

the more I am on these boards the more I worry that scouting is about the "appearance" of good, vs actually doing good.

so the message we are sending to our sons is that if your dad oggles chicks in cut off scout uniforms its GOOD, but if your mom wears a scout shirt with too many buttons open its wrong.

the more I am on these boards the more I worry that scouting is about the "appearance" of good, vs actually doing good.

Who's oggling anything? Some people look for the bad in everything.

Nice job Adam!

Dont get me started on Halloween costumes. My daughter goes to a public middle school but its new and has a lot of neighborhoods where in my opinion people have more money than common sense or time for their kids.

The costume I saw the most last year was one I call the "slutty rag doll" which is a long yarn wig with a dolls dress that came close to their "hoo haw". My daughter said that most of them hiked the dresses up (and down in front) when teachers werent around.

I also saw a girl in a sexy french maid costume Seriously.

I am into logic and reason more than rules.I dont care if an adult (even 18 and older) wears an outfit like this to a party or even a frat party but NOT to middle school, or even high school. Who are these kids parents?

I think that is why I have a laissez faire attitude regarding the uniform. When kids AND there parents are dressing like Brittany Spears and worse, to have kids with clean clothes that cover the critical parts and looks nice is enough for me at my age.

"so the message we are sending to our sons is that if your dad oggles chicks in cut off scout uniforms its GOOD, but if your mom wears a scout shirt with too many buttons open its wrong."

Oggling is only appropriate at a place where oggling is appropriate. However, oggling really requires two participants: the oggler and the ogglee. For example oggling is appropriate at the beach but it is not appropriate at church. The problem is that oggling on the part of the oggler is a reflex action but on the part of the ogglee is a deliberate action.

Just as I would not offer a beer to my friend the recovering alcoholic, the ogglees need to be aware of what they are dong.