The Norman Rockwell Uniform

I loved the knee socks. Still do. You could wear shorts and stay relatively cool in the summer, but still have some partial protection against ticks, chiggers and mosquitoes. Yeah, they looked a bit weird, but any sort of uniform does.

I have the exact opposite reaction to the world scout emblem. It's a leftover visceral reaction to how it was introduced during my youth - with no explanation, just "You must wear this patch." Being stubborn, I refused.

I also thought it looked sloppy - there was no firm point of reference for its placement, and people were sewing it on all over above the pocket. I think it still looks kind of goofy.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer the knee socks because I'm reactive to poison ivy, and I really don't like my legs all scratched up when I'm hiking in moderate brush. I also prefer the gaiters, (I wear the military now) that seals off the pant cuff from ticks (we're in Lymes country big time). I wish some of the la-de-dah were omitted and a little more emphasis placed on practicality brought back. I really don't see much practicality in pants that have zip off legs that by the end of the weekend, no scouts have pants that have matching leg lengths. I like the red topped socks but they do look a tad strange when the boys tuck their long pants into them as a substitute for gaiters. My boys have been picking up old collarless green scout shirts to wear as their work uniform. They look consistant, have a nice shirt and they're cheaper than t-shirts from the trading post.

Stosh

I like the knee socks, too. And I had a scoutmaster who could wear the BP hat with something approaching elan. He made something potentially dorky into something moderately cool.

I like the neckerchief look over the collar look, and the collarless shirt. The collarless shirt could be worn for a ceremony: put on a neckerchief, or, out in the woods, without a neckerchief, and it would be nice and cool.

I think, too, the neckerchief look INSTANTLY identifies you as a scout. I'm not so sure that a uniform shirt with collar does this so quickly or so well.

And, as you can perhaps tell from my previous post, I'm not a fan of fussy epaulets.

"I also thought it looked sloppy - there was no firm point of reference for its placement, and people were sewing it on all over above the pocket. I think it still looks kind of goofy."

There is a proper position for that patch but most don't read the Insignia Guide. Midway between the top of the shoulder and the top of the pocket or the top row of knots.

That said, in ten years, I've never worn the purple patch.

• 1 month later...

There is a proper position for that patch but most don't read the Insignia Guide. Midway between the top of the shoulder and the top of the pocket or the top row of knots.That said, in ten years, I've never worn the purple patch. I've never understood why they can pre-sew the flag, Boy Scout of America strip but not the purple patch.

GW wrote:

"There is a proper position for that patch but most don't read the Insignia Guide. Midway between the top of the shoulder and the top of the pocket or the top row of knots.

That said, in ten years, I've never worn the purple patch."

I've just gotta ask ... regarding reading the Insignia Guide, although I think it's not a bad idea, where does the book say anything about the World Crest in relation to the top row of knots?

Second ... What's the significant of stating that you've never worn the purple patch? Is there a message there?

BDPT00

"where does the book say anything about the World Crest in relation to the top row of knots?"

It's in the double secret book. Upon investigation, it doesn't. Once upon a time, an old Scouter told me that and I took it granted that he was right. I'll have to look him up and let him know that he was wrong.

" What's the significant of stating that you've never worn the purple patch? Is there a message there?"

Yes.

I try to back up my statements with references, but this one failed me.

As I recall, one of the reasons for going to a two color uniform was to be more in line with other national Scout organizations who had been wearing similar uniforms for many years. Another was to make the uniform more distinct from U.S. military uniforms.

I'm sure that the change in 1980 had nothing to do with the Army changing the dress uniform and moving to BDUs (an expensive year) and now they are changing the dress uniform and moving to ACUs.

Ed

• 4 weeks later...

What really sucks about all the new stuff coming out is the big gold sticker "made in china" how much cheeper can BSA go with the new shirt? Iron on "BS of A" letters, iron on flag???? Its really sad to see how cheap BSA is going on everything now a days.

HawkUH60, welcome to the Forums. Are you a current or former Blackhawk driver?

Anyway, people have complained for years about how expensive the Boy Scout uniforms are. I don't know if making them in China will lower the prices, but even if it doesn't, its possible that making them in China keeps the price from going even higher.

If you want them "made in America", be prepared to pay more for them.

Besides the problems with the new uniform already covered in other forum posts, I think the real problem with it is where it is made. Think about it, we're buying a uniform from a country which has banned scouting!!!! Please read the following and become informed:

"Since the founding of the People's Republic of China (PRC) by the Communist Party in 1949, Scouting has officially been banned[citation needed], while the Young Pioneers of China and the Communist Youth League have become the dominant youth organization in mainland China for younger and older youth, respectively. Currently in mainland China, Scouting is found only in some international schools.

Scouting is active in both Hong Kong and Macau, special administrative regions of the People's Republic of China, whose legal systems are separate from that of the rest of the PRC.

Scouting existed in mainland China before 1949 under the Republic of China (ROC). In 1949, the ROC government withdrew to Taiwan, where it remains today, and Scouting has continued in Taiwan under the name Scouts of China.

In 2004, the Scout Club of Hainan (海南童子军俱乐部), borrowing heavily from Scouting in terms of emblems, uniforms and activities, was founded in Hainan Province; it is, however, not affiliated with worldwide Scouting. An attempt to organize a nationwide Scouting organization in Wuhan was ended by the government in 2004."

Now give me that old Norman Rockwell uniform anyday!!! In fact, if I could still fit in mine, I'd be wearing it. They sit in my closet awaiting the day my boys will fit into them.