Epaulets: Pro and Con

Scouts don't wear green uniforms. They have been using tan shirts since around 1980 or so.

However, Webelos Scouts, Boy Scouts, and Varsity Scouts all wear tan. So the loops do show who is what. At one time Explorers wore the tan shirt as well (due the periods they dropped the forest green shirts).

I think I'm attributing this quote to the right person.

"Uniforms have to have epaulettes," General McPeak, past Chief of Staff of the Air Force.

Back in the 80s, the Air Force wanted a new uniform, their old on was "too military" and didn't reflect the professional nature of the service. So after spending many millions of dollars, they came up with a new uniform without bellows pockets and no epaulettes that was well received. Until the Chief of Staff looked at it and declared that it needed epaulettes. The new uniform was adopted in the early 90s.

Fast forward to the 21st century and the complaint became that the Air Force uniform didn't look military enough. So they went back to the 50s and dug out the belted jacket with bellows pockets and made a few changes. Oh yeah, it has epaulettes.

You know, I'm hardly anti-military, but I think the military look can be a real turn-off for many boys, as well as a lot of different kinds of people. My unit, when I was a boy, was more into being outdoors than doing inspections or parades and fussing over uniforms. That's just my take on it, though; I've seen troops very influenced by military style.

Aha. but you are wrong Mr Trevorum.

In Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade Indy is looking to save his father from the clutches of the hated Nazi's. He drives up to the castle where his father is being held with Elsa (he doesnt know she is a Nazi as yet) and thinks of a plan to get in the castle. It is pouring rain

The next scene is Indy, wearing a beret, pounding on the castle door posing as a scotsman who is there to "view the tapestries"

So, Indy did too wear a beret and don't be saying anything bad about scotsmen.(This message has been edited by oldgreyeagle)

Mr. Boyce, if we went by want the boys wanted, judging by the boys in our troop we'd have death metal t-shirts and brightly covered boxer shorts prominently peaking out over baggy shorts worn way to low.

The boys need a uniform, not a fashion statement and something that would be functional as well would be bonus.

Based on the comments in this forum on the new uniform, apparently the national organization runs focus groups on the uniform.

Perhaps the boys actually like the epaulets! Not disrespecting pest control technicians (God knows everybody needs them), but the Orkin man (and car valets) is about the only guy I run into who wears epaulets. Shows they're "official."

I just spent the day yesterday at an outdoor event sponsored by the National Wild Turkey Federation (NWTF). It was kid and family oriented, skeet shooting, archery, BB shootin, moon walk, etc. The guys from the local chapter of NWTF, the local fish and game supply store and the state DNR guy all wore shirts, embroidered with their name, store name (or DNR office), fishing club name, had pockets galore and epaulets. The shirts even had the fancy vent flap on the back. The color was lighter khaki than our shirts, and the fabric weight and feel seemed about right.

Still not a fan of epaulets, but these guys didn't wear a colored tab, justplain.

" but I think the military look can be a real turn-off for many boys, as well as a lot of different kinds of people."

I suppose that's why so many boys wear BDUs and other cammo clothing. It isn't the military look that turns them off, it is the currently out of vogue idea of neat attire and a bit of discipline.