The new uniform.

Picked up my new shirt yesterday, in the DLR I wore a 3XLG but these a 2XLG fits fine. The long sleeve 3XLG is quite a bit longer through the body. There are no sewing kit buttons yet however there is a spare on the placket and I've already removed the hidden button for the dangle temp patchs. I also sewed flat the pockets. I chose the poly-cotton over the Suplex because it felt more comfortable. The construction design is a real improvement, more like the shirts of the early 70s, this is NOT another parlor shirt, ease of movement is much improved. Some of the stiching was subpar, if you care about such check all seams before you buy. Collar will work better with neck tie however the is no neck tie for troop Scouters now, durn. I have not rolled it under yet for kneckercheif wear. Not sure about the sleeve roll up system yet but with sleeves down you only have a pair of beltloop like straps in view, by the time the brush is snagging them your epauletts and pocket dangle will be too.

The technology pocket, I wonder how long before the kids start calling it the hearing aid pocket for us oldsters? It will find a use like all storage, just not sure what yet, maybe spare pencils?

Two thumbs up

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may have already been addressed here but there are just too many messages to go through to find it:

Is it permissible to mix components of the "old" (Tan Shirts, Olive Pants and shorts, caps, belts, and insignia) with the "new" Centenial uniform?

Examples:

Old shirt and insignia worn with the new pants?

New shirt and insignia worn with old pants or old switchback pants?

Old insignia (white/red numbers, trained patch, red shoulder tabs, etc.) worn on new shirt?

New insignia (green/tan numbers, green/tan trained patch, green shoulder tabs, etc) worn on the old shirt?

Old red and olive cap worn with new uniform and new green cap worn with old uniform?

Old belt and sock worn with the new uniform and new belt and socks worn with the old uniform?

I have had people tell me "yes" but could cite no official reference to this. I have looked but can't find anything specific.

I was told that only "new" centenial insignia can be used on the new centenial uniform shirts, but I am not sure if the new insignia can be worn on the "old" tan shirts.

Seems to me that only new uniform components and insignia should be worn on the new uniform and only old uniform components should be worn on the old uniform - but I could be wrong.

Does anyone here know the official BSA position and where I can find documentation for that?

I have heard that there is a new uniform and insignia guide coming out...

Thanks.

Seems to me that only new uniform components and insignia should be worn on the new uniform and only old uniform components should be worn on the old uniform - but I could be wrong.

Does anyone here know the official BSA position and where I can find documentation for that?

The printed brochure from BSA that introduced the uniform states the following:

"Loaded with pockets (some big enough to hold your Fieldbook), zippers, (converting pants to shorts), gadget loops and more, you'll want it all! However, each piece transitions to mix and match with your current uniform."

Aside from the brochure's bad grammar (what Scout is loaded with pockets?), sounds like the answer you're looking for.

I saw that in the brochure. But I am not exactly sure what it means though

If taken word for word, it would seem to mean that one can mix any component of any of the existing or new components, including insignia and accessories. And I am not sure that is the intent. But I could be wrong.

I'm not too worried about it but I am sure it will be a topic for quite a while.

Went to a training in our Council yesterday. One of our Council Commissioners spoke and the keynote was Tico Perez who is a BSA National Commissioner.

The new uniform is transitional. You can mix and match anything with anything. Period. National would "like" the red loops to be replaced with the green ones as soon as possible but there are no rules on not mixing new with old - again, PERIOD.

I only saw one new uniform yesterday in a room of 200 long-term and dedicated Scouters. It was worn by our Council Commissioner - NOT by Tico!

Hope that helps. And remember, a Scout is Thrifty!

YIS,

-Robert(This message has been edited by docrwm)

Went to section conclave Sat, 200+ and I saw maybe ten Centennial shirts, I was also asked my abuot ten people how I liked mine.

Did have touble with the new belt and older pants, the loops are really tight, might be a isolated QC proablem that didn't mater till now.

My arms are too large to roll the sleeves while the shirt is worn will try with the shirt off but that kinda loses half the utility of the sleeve rolling system.

Went to section conclave Sat, 200+ and I saw maybe ten Centennial shirts, I was also asked by about ten people how I liked mine.

Did have touble with the new belt and older pants, the loops are really tight, might be a isolated QC proablem that didn't mater till now.

My arms are too large to roll the sleeves while the shirt is worn will try with the shirt off but that kinda loses half the utility of the sleeve rolling system.

Went to section conclave Sat, 200+ and I saw maybe ten Centennial shirts, I was also asked by about ten people how I liked mine.

Stopped in at the local scout store this weekend...this time they had more sizes, so my scouts and I could try on shirts, etc.

The clerk asked me what I thought of the new uniforms, and I said that overall there were many improvements but there were still some things I thought are pretty odd, both of which have been mentioned here: short shirttails and the American Flag decal.

The clerk had the same complaints, but then also mentioned that she had replaced the American Flag decal with an embroidered flag patch on her other shirt. She told me she loosened the decal with an iron and then peeled it off. I asked if the footprints of the two patches were the same and she said they were close enough.

Also -- last week, I spent some time with my DE. When we were talking about the new uniform (he did buy one, but hasn't been wearing it) he mentioned the problems he's had with supplex and reeking after only a short time. Anyone with the new supplex shirt -- have you noticed the same thing?

Guy

By "reek" do you mean that the material smells or that you reek of BO. Neither is unusual with synthetics.

Over the years, I've noticed that many synthetics pick up odors in processing and that they can take a long time for the smell to depart.

For BO, back in the disco era, I found that some of my beautiful shirts would wind up stinking. You'd go dancing, sweat up a new shirt, wash it but the next time that you wore it as soon as it got warm, you'd smell like you'd been plowing the lower 40. According to my friendly Chem prof, it had to do with the synthetic fabric's affinity for nasty stuff and when it got warm again, little bits of odor molecules would get enough oomph to break loose and assail your date's nose. He aslo explained that this is related to the armpits in synthetic shirts turning yellow and that's why you should always wear a t-shirt under a polyesther shirt.

Luckily, I wasn't there to "witness" the reeking effect :-), but I took his statement to mean that yes, the synthetic shirt had the effect of absorbing and transmitting his B.O.

I've heard of this before (AT through-hikers wearing syntheitcs, for example), but haven't noticed it with myself (I did live through the disco era, but I luckily avoided the poly shirt effect you're talking about; at least I think I avoided it).