The new uniform.

Two comments about the BSA Uniform PDF.

* while they showed the new Trained strip on the sleeve pocket flap, I didn't see anything that pointed out what it was or what the order number was.

* the inconsistancy in showing the placement of the World Crest was pretty bad. Too many of the shirts had it too close to the pocket (prehaps so it would be under the collar? It doesn't help get people to wear it in the right place when they do cr*p like that.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eagle92 wrote: Does anyone know if the expedition, various BSA stetsons, and and CS boonie hats still allowed as they are not mentioned in the pdf.

Once a uniform piece is authorized it is always allowed. It may not be a current item for sale through the SD but it's still an official part of the uniform.

Go ahead, wear your campaign hat with pride.

Well with all the changes that have occured with the Sea Scout uniform, as well as the implementation of the centeniall uniforms, you never know.

Also FYI the Stetson Camper, BS and CS Rover, and Adventuer hats are 60% right now from National scout shops and supply.

"Headgear. All troop members must wear the headgear chosen by vote of the troop/team."

Adults are not "troop members."

"Headgear is optional. Boy Scout leaders wear the olive and red visor cap, campaign hat, or troop-approved headgear."

That's from 34048, "Scout Leader Uniform Inspection Sheet."

Call me a scofflaw but when I worked at the troop level, I rotated my hats on a weekly basis. Red beret, light green garrison cap, dark green garrison cap, campaign hat. Sometimes, if I was feeling really puckish, I'd wear my Air Explorer cap.

I'm new here so maybe this has been discussed, but most of what I read here seems to apply to Boy Scouts. What about Scouters with packs? The Cubs will be wearing White Numbers on a Red field (which is FAR easier to read then the low contrast green on tan - and at camp with 500+ boys being able to read the Pack numbers at a distance has been a real blessing) I should think that we'll remain wearing the same colors.

In reference to Cub Scouters (and Webelos in the tan and Green uniform too for that matter), according to the PDF link I posted earlier, They will need to have the tan and green numbers as well.

It has been speculated that the CS numbers will go to Blue and Gold, but I don't see it happening as they would then need to make Venturing numbers as well.

Personally I think that once volunteers and parents start complaining how they can't reuse the numbers from CS on the BS uniform, and distributers start complaining about inventory, and challenges with resuppling the assorted numbers, they will go back to one set of standarf numbers. After all, Supply did do away with the CS and Sea Scout Specific numbers once before.

I went to the Scout Shop this morning and bought a new uniform. Although I got a pair of switchbacks when they came out a year and a half ago, I went ahead and got a new pair of pants. I hadn't gotten a new uniform shirt since 1996. I ended up getting the shirt (short-sleeved), pants, belt, hat, and socks. The latter three I got so I could show the troop. Here are my thoughts now that I've seen the real thing.

1. The shirt material is nicer than the old uniform. The shoulder loops are too big for the epulats (sp?). Maybe National can make them a little smaller, use less material, and pass the savings on to us. A funny thing is that my previous uniform is a large. I bought it when I was about fifteen pounds lighter than I am now. However, I tried on both the large and medium shirts and ended up getting a medium because it had the same fit as my large "old-style" shirt.

2. The pants are a much nicer material. I'll probably use my switchbacks in the summer and these new ones in the winter. Or, I may use the new ones as my "indoor" uniform pants.

3. I really like the belt, but I am a fan of the smartly polished brass. I can always wear my brass belt if I feel nostalgic.

4. The socks are great, although I choked at paying 4 1/2 bucks for a pair. They are way more functional than the previous high top socks.

5. I'm not a fan of hats in general, but I really like the new hat. HUGE improvement over the red/green one from before. No more foam or plastic!

As far as the conversion to green, I do like the more subtle look of the patches. I was one of the few that liked when they changed the position and rank patches back in the early 90's. I'm glad to see the uniforms going toward more subtlety. Overall, I think it is an improvement. No need for everyone to rush out and get new uniforms. However, as time goes on, the look will improve.

-----In reference to Cub Scouters (and Webelos in the tan and Green uniform too for that matter), according to the PDF link I posted earlier, They will need to have the tan and green numbers as well.

That's too bad. The Tan and Green look horrible on the Blue Uniform (held some up on Saturday at the Scout Shop) and as I said you can't read them from over 20 or so yards (unlike the White on Red) which will make picking out your Pack members in a sea of other little boys in Blue uniforms much more of a problem.(This message has been edited by docrwm)

Our DE said there has been back and forth and confusion on the Cub Scout blue uniform. Latest I heard is blue uniforms will keep the red and white numbers and Webelos that buy the tan shirts will get the tan and green numbers.

Well with all the changes that have occured with the Sea Scout uniform, as well as the implementation of the centeniall uniforms, you never know.

Just don't wear your Stetson with your Sea Scout uniform, please. :)

"Our DE said there has been back and forth and confusion on the Cub Scout blue uniform. Latest I heard is blue uniforms will keep the red and white numbers and Webelos that buy the tan shirts will get the tan and green numbers. "

In speaking with the people in our local scout shop, that seems to be what NS is doing. The red and white numbers will still be around for the cub scout and venturing uniforms.