The new uniform.

I just came back from the National Scout Shop near my Council. There are only canvas switchbacks presently in stock. This shop is attached to the National warehouse in Charlotte, NC. If it doesn't have it, they aren't out there. Looked over the shirts, if you are a Commissioner who has the Arrowhead Award, get long-sleeves. All the short-sleeve shirts, regardless of size, have the shoulder pocket attached just above the sleeve cuff. No room for the award unless it is sewn on top of the cuff. The staff at the shop were wearing the uniform, doesn't look that good after any activity in it. The shirt seems awkward as the pockets are sewn a little higher on the chest. Attaching Vasity, Venture, or Interpreter strips will be interesting also. The belt, what can I say? One thing that is dead-on great! The recommendation of the staff for sewing on the POR patch is take it to a seamstress if you want to use the pocket, OR, by the badge magic. Guess if I get a new shirt, I'll have to have someone sew on the patch.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was down at Council today for a NYLT followup meeting and went in to see the uniform. The hat is great, I don't see any problem getting it adopted by the troop. The socks are great as well and a much better price. They only had the canvas pants. About the same weight as the old ones, nice color. Not having the zippers on the bottom leg is unfortunate. But considering the number of scouts that I have that have worn out the the heels of their switchbacks it is not a bad thing. I may put zippers in. The pants do have elastic in the waste, so there is a couple of inches of give and the scout with a 28 in waist will likely be good up through 32 if they leave enough cloth to let the legs out as he grows. The belt is very nice. I don't know if it will unravel like the old one as an emergency source of string (that probably dates me as I doubt the current scouts even know about that). The shirt is not bad. I had no problem rolling up the sleeve while wearing it. I wish it would have been as light as the activity shirt and included the vents. But the long sleeve makes sense out here in Arizona where protection from the sun is as important as protection from the cold up north. Once you look at the arm pocket and realize what the designers were thinking it makes sense. It was designed to hold an iPod. It has a tiny hole in the sleeve to pass the hear bud wire through. Once the scouts saw this they were sold. The other pockets are not a billowy as I expected, proper pressing should keep them under control.

I was pleased enough with it that I went ahead and bought a complete uniform. With standard patches (why can't they sew that purple spot on for us?) and fat guy tax it came in at $120. Too much for me to even suggest that the troop do an immediate adoption. The look is close enough that mixing uniforms should not be an issue. But there are elements that are so good (hat, belt and socks < $30) that I think they will get adopted very quickly.

Oh. The new Trained patch is tiny, almost as small as an untrimmed square knot. There were no red shoulder loops available at all which makes me think that will be a required change in the not too distant future. At $2 a pair, I might just suggest that we add an additional $5 to our 2009 registration and then purchase a set of loops and numbers for everyone at recharter time.

Finally, I don't see putting my 1972 arrow ribbon on the unbuttonable button.(This message has been edited by jet526)

Regarding the Trained Leader Emblem. On the long sleeve shirt there is no place below the emblem of office. Based on one picture online it has been relocated to the pocket flap.

There is absolutely no place to put the Commissioner Arrowhead below the pocket. It would fit above the pocket if they don't wear unit numbers. I guess that would be a good thing. It bothers me when a commissioner wears unit numbers it makes it look like he only serves that unit.

The trained strip which is now green on khaki fits below the POR patch on both the long and short sleeve uniform shirt as always. The Commissioners Arrowhed will fit in it correct place as well.

Do not try to determine uniform by looking at an ad flyer.

"The trained strip which is now green on khaki fits below the POR patch on both the long and short sleeve uniform shirt as always. The Commissioners Arrowhed will fit in it correct place as well."

I will assume that this is in reference to the older uniform guide, the ads for the new uniforms all show it on the sleeve pocket flap. The Commissioners Arrowhead will fit under the POR, it just overlaps the sleeve hem on the short-sleeve shirts.

"Do not try to determine uniform by looking at an ad flyer."

I used an actual Commissioners Arrowhead and checked it on SS shirts up to 4X. Also, since the sleeve pocket is sewn the same distance from the sleeve hem on SS shirts regardless of shirt size, the POR actual becomes further spaced from the top of the shoulder in larger shirt sizes.

Not an opinion, just an observation. I am waiting to see what the new Insignia Guide and Inspection Sheets will have.

You can sew the Arrowhead under the pocket. It will be covered when the sleeves are rolled up and the loop will hang over it when they are not. Hopefully they will have a guide out soon or at least an inspection sheet.

BTW, I wore the long sleeves around this afternoon (104). It was hot, but not any hotter than a t-shirt.

"jmwaslton

You assume incorrectly. Besides there is no need to assume, the correct answer is easily available."

I see that they say one thing and show another. These sources apparently infer otherwise.

http://www.scoutstuff.org/bsasupply/

http://www.scoutstuff.org/bsasupply/boyscout.aspx

"Do not try to determine uniform by looking at an ad flyer."

So despite the big build up with new flyers and such, continue to sew on patches on the left sleeve as on the old uniform. I wonder how much BSA spent on advertising consultation?

Here are some pictures. http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/imgviewer.aspx?img=627sup_is

It could be that the emblem will stay below the badge of office. But I sit here with long sleeve shirt and emblem in hand and I can tell you that no one in their right mind will put it there. It is the same width as the loop for holding the sleeve which hides the lettering very well. Here is a picture: http://members.cox.net/jtreat/images/Arm_Pocket.jpg . Needless to same I'll wait to put this patch on, but if it does end up under the pocket then it will never go on this uniform.

(This message has been edited by jet526)

BSA publications are never in error unless BeeDub disagrees with them because he has more double-secret information that cannot yet be released. So, ignore all of the pictures at ScoutStuff.org because they would have no clue as to how the patches should be worn and sew your trained strip UNDER the badge of office.

I understand the confusion with the photos. But the same BSA source has an text explanation for the position of the patch. The question was wheter or not there is room for the trained patch below. There is. And according to the current directions that is still the correct location for te trained patch.

The same goes for the arrowhead award, the comment was that there is no room below the pocket...but there is.

"The emblem is worn on the left sleeve immediately below and touching the emblem of office for which it was earned."

Don't see how that works. There's no room on the pocket for for the patch and if you put on the sleeve, it won't be immediately below and touching the "emblem of office."

Logic is a pretty flower which smells bad.