The new uniform.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you all are looking for Scouting in Scotland rather than Boy Scouts of America...and yes...a kilt is authorized in the UK!

Uniform Requirements: www.138th.info/Uniform_Requirements.doc (this lists the kilt as an option)

Scouts in Scotland: www.scouts-scotland.org.uk/default.asp?page=32

UK Online Scout Shop: www.scoutshops.com

I'd have to be very careful wearing a kilt.

With my well known sexy knees, the paparazzi would go wild.

It's better for everyone if I keep them undercover.

Maybe I could become a closet kilt wearer?

But then if I came out of the closet?

No!! We are not going there.

Eamonn.

Does anyone know if they will still be selling the old uniform parts until they run out of stock? I lent two pairs of shorts to a CIT at camp this summer, and I can't get ahold of him. I ncase my shorts are gone forever, I'd like to still be able to purchase the "old" style...

My guess is that they will, because a) that would otherwise be a waste of stock and b) because when I went to the scout shop a few weeks ago they were "clearing space" for the new uniforms, which would lead me to believe that they will still be in stock until they run out. If anyone has any information, I'd appreciate it.

But I suppose I could always look myself, because I do need to stop by the Council office soon.

Saw the new uniform for the first time. Not impressed. The relaxed look of the uniform reminded me of the grunge look of the 90's. Zip offs at knee and lower really looked sloppy and the billow pockets made the shirt and pants look sloppy. Pants reminded me of the crotch at the knee type of shorts that were popular 10 years ago and are slowly going away finally. My take on the uniform? A day late and a dollar short.

Stosh

I was at the Scout Store yesterday and they had NO uniforms, only 1 XXXL golf shirt the rest were kid sizes. They had very odd sizes of the switchback pants, but not the 34x30 I've been looking for for the last 6 months.

The racks for the uniforms were in the back and they were going to wheel them out this morning.

They did accept my return of a pair of switchback pants I got from ScoutStuff.com that didn't fit and I walked out with some projects for the boys and a bunch of cash.

I tell you that story to tell you this one. The staff at the store feels national is very ambiguous, vague and unclear with their phrasing regarding the mixing of the new and old uniform parts. Their OPINION is you can NOT were the old pants with the new shirts and vise versa. The store staff further feel that any uniform that is official can be worn but can not be mixed with another version. I think that makes sense. Hope that stirs the pot again! By the way....if anyone has a 1973 era pair of pants (or short) size 34w (x30) let me know. My old size 32s are just a bit too tight to wear for more than 30 minutes!

Just another random thought.....Back in New York the only time we wore shorts and short sleeves were for summer camp or Philmont. Here in Florida I don't own a long sleeve shirt or scout jacket! My red wool jacket was stolen from my car in 1982 in the parking lot at the Royal Plaza Hotel at Walt Disney World.

..Go TEAM USA!!!

I must say I'm not sure on my feelings regarding the new uniform. I've seen several posts in this forum about how good it actually looks, that it is very similar to the older one being replaced, etc. But every picture I've seen of it on the Scout Stuff site is pretty bad. And what is up with the weird Zoolander BSA image? All the boys wearing the uniform look like they've just walked down a modeling runway and given the audience the "look." Then when you click on the ordering site, the uniform really looks like a poorly fitted item. The Webelos switchbacks also look like the older shade of olive.

I just came back from my local scout shop, and I'm bummed.

The new uniform pants are pretty nice. They are a darker shade of green than the now-old switchbacks. The shop had only the "canvas" pants - the nylon ones won't be available until sometime in September (they're supposedly on a boat somewhere between the Far East and the U.S.). I was told that nobody has them - not even the warehouse - and that while I could probably order them online, they won't ship until sometime in September. Both nylon and canvas pants are (or will be) available in both "classic" and "relaxed" fit. The canvas pants will look better - more like the traditional pants that preceded the switchbacks, but the nylon ones will be cooler in hot weather. All of the pants have lost the zipper at the bottom of the removable legs, so it will be difficult if not impossible to remove the legs without having to take your boots off. As I see it, that is the biggest drawback to the new pants.

The shirts (both long sleeve and short sleeve) are similarly available in two materials: 100% nylon, and a 30/70 polyester/cotton blend (yes, the 70% is cotton). Both shirts are identical construction, although the long sleeve shirt has a tab that can be used to hold the sleeve in a rolled-up position. According to the staffer in the scout shop (who was wearing one), the roll-up feature doesn't work very well, and most people won't be doing that anyway. The color is almost identical to the now-old shirt, so the immediate difference isn't very noticeable.

The new web belt is awesome. The color matches the new pants perfectly, and the belt buckle is a piece of artistry! It's no longer a cheap piece of stamped brass, but a heavy buckle that any scout should be proud to wear. The webbing seems to be about 50% thicker, too. A nice change!

As to why I'm bummed: I went in anticipation of buying the complete uniform. See, I've lost 70 pounds and taken 6" off my waist and I've been swimming in my old uniform. So I waiting with bated breath for today so that I could buy a new uniform that fits. No luck. I wanted the canvas pants, but they didn't have them in my size - seems that certain Council brass got them in advance, so my size was gone. So, instead of mixing and matching, I opted to wait until they have everything.

The shop did take my order for new custom troop numerals/veteran bar, but they have no idea how long it will take to get them.

The new insignia guide isn't out yet. Even the scout shop staff was shaking their heads at the poor roll-out by the national Supply Division: not having the IG, not taking early orders for custom numerals, not having all of the pieces available on the official release date, etc. They commented that most of the bigwigs at NSD just look at stores as numbers - they don't see or comprehend the way we customers look at things and the real-world issues that we and the stores deal with. Maybe the Irving reorganization should have included the Supply Division?

Maybe your luck will be better than mine. In the meantime, I'll have to be patient and keep swimming.

I like the dark green color canvas pants better, and the belt is substantial and masculine The canvas fabric feels more substantial, so hopefully these will stay in one piece. My son likes the new pants. At our shop, the staff said there was a new sash that matches the new fabric. (If my older son has an Eagle Court of Honor, I'll get him a new sash.) Also, they are carrying the "old" switchbacks until they run out.

The new shirt fabric did feel much nicer than the old stuff. I didn't like the color of the new tabs, but it might have been the lighting, and our troop's not changing anyway in the near future. I was not impressed with the pockets on the shirt. Neither form nor function were in play during the design process. I do have large hands and maybe it was a smallish shirt, but I couldn't get my hand comfortably in the display shirt's pockets. It didn't seem like the pockets were even big enough to be useful. The puffiness struck me as silly. The sleeve pocket was very small looking. Now granted, they had not sewn up a shirt with proper insignia for a Scout or Scouter, so it might be that I didn't have any visual cues as to how large that sleeve pocket actually was. But, not trading in my old shirt until I have to.

Is it time to spin off a reaction thread now that the new uni's are out?

Unless you are talented with needle and thread, sewing on the sleve pocket for your position patch is darn near impossible.

Choice 1 (and the path I took) - Sew thought the sleve...renders pocket useless (it too small to do much anyway)

Choice 2 - Sew by hand...try to keep needle from going through the second layer (almost impossible)

Choice 3 - Remove the pocket...sew on the patch...reattach the pocket (way over my simple level of sewing)