The new uniform.

To clear up some miscommunication the new uniform will NOT be available until August 15th (That's the third Friday in August).

In several places I've seen it mentioned that it will be released August 1st or early August, that is INCORRECT. So if you were to visit your Local Scout Shop on August 1st in hopes of buying the new uniform you will be sadly informed to return in 2 weeks for your purchase.

I know it's not really that big of a deal but TRUST ME I know scouters who will be rushing into the stores on August 1st in hopes of seeing/purchasing the new uniform because they read about it on a blog. =)

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi acheadle,

Welcome to the forum.

I don't see myself waiting outside the store to be the first to buy a new uniform on August 15th, or when ever it arrives.

I can only think of one person I know who might want to do this.

He is a super young fellow, who at present serves as the Lodge Chief for our OA Lodge.

I think the supply of uniforms I have right now will see me out.

I'm not expecting to gain or lose a lot of weight and I'm way past any growth spurts ! More's the shame!

I'm sure given time the young up and coming Scouter's will look at me in my old uniform and see an old codger and wonder "What the heck is he still doing here"

Of course I'll look at them and see a bunch of young whippersnappers!!

Eamonn

I saw the new uniform in person last week. It is not that different from the current one, in fact many folks did not even notice it being worn at first. Overall it looks fine. The slot on the sleeve pocket for an i-pod's ear bud was removed from the finished design. There is a button on the back side of the right shirt pocket flap for holding temporary pathes with button loops. The other pockets use a velcro closure.

The shirt buttons being the same color as the shirt give it a very clean look. The fabric is very stain resistant and the shirt seemd very wrinkle resistant looking just as nice at the end of the day as it did at the beginning.

The shades of tan and green used in the shirt, convertable pants and socks are nice, and the lack of red barely noticeable.

There is enough room on the sleeve for the council strip, anniversary bar, and unit numerals to easily fit. Sewing the por patch on the sleeve pocket might be challenging at first. The shirt comes with the BSA strip and American flag permanently attached.

Over all it is a very nice looking uiform.

"Over all it is a very nice looking uiform."

Of course it is.

I was just looking at the official flyer again and I noticed that the sleeve pocket is too small by a hair for the position patch. Is that good design or what?

found one frustrating point...

Our unit has, for years, ordered the unit patches (the ones with the three digits on the same patch versus using the three individual numbers)

We tried to place an order for the new green on Khaki in early July so that we would have them when the new uniforms come in, but apparently BSA national will not allow orders until after 8/16 (despite the 6-week lead time on the order)

GW

Your perception and assumption are incorrect. The uniform we saw being worn had a por patch on the sleeve and it fit just fine. It would appear that you are grasping at staws in order to have something to complain about.

KY

So you have a slight inconvenience in that the BSA Supply Division timetable for ALL orders does not meet what you want for YOUR order. It is not as if they are not willing to make the customized numbers. They are just asking that you wait until the uniforms have been released.

Patience is a virtue.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

BW -

I know patience is a virtue...but my fall roundups are 8/25 and 9/3. I expect to bring on about 15 new webelos and about 20 new leaders (hence the reason I wanted the patches before round-up).

It is unlikely people will re-purchase and re-apply unit numerals once they have already affixed a set to thier uniform. We also don't want to wait until October (6-week lead time) to have Webelos and Leaders properly uniformed.

Unfortunate for uniformity across my unit, but it is what it is. :-(

That is not a problem since you can wear the current uniform, the new uniform, or a combination of pieces from both, and still be in a complete and correct uniform according to the uniforming poilices and regulations of the BSA.

KY_, Is it your intention to force the scouts and scouters to wear a particular version, only a complete and correct one?

There is plenty of room on the new shirts, the picture is deceiving. The one and ONLY case where this might hold true is on a Youth Small Shirt, which the average Scout Shop might sell 2 in a year.

As for the Custom Numerals with Veteran Bars. Plans are still being developed, and National Supply is currently reorganizing the entire Custom Design Department. Have some patience, it's not the end of the world. As always there's going to be a few hiccups when introducing anything new into the market.

• 2 weeks later...

When am I planning on changing to the new uniform?

Right away.

As a Commissioner it is important to set the example. The new uniforms are not cheap, but this forum gave me the benefit of finding out a few months in advance so I could save my money for this purchase.

It will mean a week's worth of evenings re-sewing badges after work and the kids go to bed, but that's a small drop in the bucket of time spent doing other things.

There are plenty of adults wearing the old uniform. They will wave their hand and say it's too expensive while holding a $4.00 latte. But they will still be the same leader.

I'll just be the same leader in a new uniform.

CMM

FScouter,

That's easy, the "example" is that "this" is the new uniform and this is how it is worn.

Whenever the military changes uniforms, the brass begin wearing them to show the troops what is looks like and how it's worn.