The new uniform.

If the green sholder loops are the standard, will that mean that cub scout leaders and webelos need to cut over to green? (I know...questions will be answered once the uniform guide is published).

I really wish BSA published the new uniform manual well in advance of the change so units can prepare. Expecially big deal for cub scout units having round-ups (Webelos and leaders)in Mid-August and not knowing what the uniform regulations are in order to tell the parents what to purchase.

Last year I brought on ~25 new leaders and ~10 new Webelos (~140 scouts in my program). This will make round-up very confusing for those affected.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Is there any rumors about changes to the venturing and cub scout uniforms?"

Everything I've heard says there are no plans for any changes in these uniforms. For Venturing, there is talk of charcoal gray switchbacks coming soon.

"If the green sholder loops are the standard, will that mean that cub scout leaders and webelos need to cut over to green?"

Uh, why? Forest green loops will indicate the person is a Boy Scout or a Boy Scout unit leader. Cub scouts leaders and webelos will still wear blue. Council district silver, national regional gold.

With the Boy Scout shoulder loops going to green, it would be good to change the Venturing loops to red. Back in the day, red was the "accent" color for Explorers, and green for Boy Scouts on the garter tabs (gold for Cub Scouts when wearing the knee socks). The red would look fine on a dark green shirt. The current green on green for Venturing is nearly pointless because they blend in so well. Webelos and Cub Scouters in the tan shirts would still wear the navy loops.

OzarksOsage

" Webelos and Cub Scouters in the tan shirts would still wear the navy loops."

In my perfect world, Cub Scouters and Webelos should switch to gold loops, Varsity would have brown loops, and Venturing red loops. That way the loops would match the colors of the service star backs.

Am aware of the original program colors.

I won't hold my breath that this will change...

Yes, the green on green with the Venturing shirt is a little problematic. You have some crews that won't wear the green loops because they think they are redundant.

"WHY are new belts being developed to go over the ones in our new pants??"

I'm going to guess the belt is for the canvas pants.

"...the loops would match the colors of the service star backs."

Maybe they'll change the backings too?

I saw the brochure in the Scout Shop and I like the new look. I always hated the red stripe on the socks, and the use of more natural, neutral colors is better looking. The only drawback that I see, is how do you sew patches onto the arm pocket? I have used the no-sew glue and it seems to undo after a few washes.

Another +/- is the "dorky"(?) bpocket buttons. How do you hang a temporary patch off the pocket?

With any kind of pocket flap (OA, CS Outdoor activity, Whittlin Chip) the button is no longer usable anyway. I have sewn little pieces of velcro on my pockets already.

Overall I think the look Pretty Good!

"With any kind of pocket flap (OA, CS Outdoor activity, Whittlin Chip) the button is no longer usable anyway."

The solution there is pretty simple. Just sew the flap onto the pocket flap at the top and sides, leaving the bottom unsewn.

With any kind of pocket flap (OA, CS Outdoor activity, Whittlin Chip) the button is no longer usable anyway.

Not if the flap is sewn on properly. Only sew it within an inch on either side of the button. That way, the button is usable!

vcrew66 asked - "but with the new built-in belts, WHY are new belts being developed to go over the ones in our new pants??"

Actually, the belts are NOT "built-in". They are just tacked on to keep them from being lost in shipment. Simply cut a few threads and you can take the cloth belt off and use any other belt you wish.

I'm curious - one of the main changes being touted seems to be the roll-up tabs to secure long sleeves in place. Do you find that many Scouts or Scouters are buying those long-sleeved shirts? I always thought they were pretty goofy looking, and it was easier to just wear a troop-colors sweatshirt underneath the short-sleeved uniform.