The new uniform.

jr56

Since they're only about $2 a pop, I don't see why there would be a bunch of legacy red sholder tabs arround. Have someone pick up one set for everyone in the Troop and hand them out at a Troop meeting and you're all good. For another $2 or $3 you can also buy each boy a new set of unit numbers. Once you've done that, you're basically up to date, without the hodge-podge.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suspect that in a few months, when the uniform is actually released, there will be guidance on what gets worn with what, and all questions will have answers. Until then we have an official pre-release blurb and infinite speculation.

I think John-in-KC is right -- kids should naturally outgrow present uniforms, and if the only new ones that national provides are the updated ones, the choice is clear ("you can have any color you want as long as it is black").

I joined circa '71, and new uniforms were introduced late '72 or so (the red berets -- wow, just in time for the '73 National Jamboree!). We went to the Jamboree, and I don't recall if it was mandated by national or not, but all of us in the troop bought multiple uniforms shirts, pants, etc. so that we were correctly uniformed for the jamboree. By the time I outgrew those, I added the forest green "Leadership Corps" shirts, which is what we wore on summer camp staff as well.

Another anecdote I remember was on an overnight at Fort Riley, KS, on our way back from Philmont. That evening, in one of the mess halls, I think we were something of a novelty (or maybe those guys just didn't get all that many visitors) and we had gathered a small crowd. One of them said to us, "boys, stay as far away from them green uniforms as you can" which we thought was pretty funny.

"Not everything that comes from Vatican City is infallible, we can discuss that somewhere else."

I'll ask my exercise buddy, the Jesuit priest for the official ruling on that.

So very true...not everything that comes from Vatican City is infallible...only those things that the pope declares ex cathedra and only matters of faith. Tricky stuff infallibility.

Anyway, back to the new uniform. I've shared the uniform promotional pamphlet to many friends in Scouting. They have all had positive reactions. One mom went home and shared with her son who demanded I call when I see them hit the shelves....I guess some of the boys will like it enough to want it pretty immediately.

jr56: I think the answer is: don't do anything until told otherwise by someone in authority or until you see it in writing.

Has anyone told you to get rid of your old uniform? If not, then keep wearing it. Has anybody told you that you must buy and wear the new uniform? If not, then don't do it.

I don't understand all this anxiety about the new uniform -- just sit tight and everything will work itself out.

I have a question on the new uniform as it may or may not apply to Cub Scouts. I know that the current Cub Scout Blue uniform will not change, however, will the colors of the recruiter strip and unit numbers for Cubs transition to the Forest Green, or will they still be available in red?

WOW, 15 pages for a uniform most of us have not seen directly.

Have been wanting a long sleeve shirt for a while, if this new one fits okay I will be happy.

While they didn't make all the change I could hope for, it could have been much worse. And for those that belong to the do-dad patrol there will be plenty of delarentas to load up for yearsto come.

What would I change? Leave off the shoulder straps, drop the front pockets down an inch or so, and thats bout it. A v-neck shirt engineered for summer wear with matching necker isn't in the cards despits my wishes. Can't tell much bout fabrics used or construction details. But if it follows trend I will wash twice, run extra stitching on the seams and wear proudly.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the new pockets on the shirt will be better than the current shirt. I carry a small notebook and pen in that pocket and the bellows pocket won't make it stand out as much. As far as sewing badge of office on sleeve pocket, I think Badge Magic would be the best option. If that doesn't work it has to be easier to sew a patch on the bellows pocket than on the front pocket of the current shirt. As long as the new switchbacks are as good as the current switchbacks I will be happy. As have worn myy switchbacks for every scout occasion I have attended since last August when I purchased them, to include two pack campouts and Cub Scout resident camp. In fact, I was in complete uniform (shirt, shorts, and socks) almost all day this week at resident camp. Poly/cotton isn't a bad material for a uniform shirt because it lasts a long time and doesn't need to be ironed every time it is washed, but I think the supplex nylon will be more comfortable for warmer weather.

The new uniform is slated for roll-out mid-August. There are a lot of questions being fielded by Scout Shops across the country. As for the red loops, I'm guessing National Supply will have shops return the red and the only loops will that will be available the Forest Green. They will soon be worn by National Scout Shop Sales Staff as the official uniform. Watch for them soon.

OK, 2 things...

1. My son and I have 4 pr. of the new switchback pants and 100% love them...but with the new built-in belts, WHY are new belts being developed to go over the ones in our new pants??

2. That nice blue council insignia on the flyer that you see...it is from OUR COUNCIL!! Yup, we are the Baden-Powell Council in southern central NY and northern PA. Just had to brag a little - not every day you see your very own council strip on a nation-wide flyer!!