The new uniform.

"10 years later, we had two different weights of BDUS, not to mention BDUS for a European environment and a desert environment."

And they took everything that they learned and threw it away for a uniform which none of the soldiers that I've asked have cared for.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the BDU's were nice, the Desert uniform was nice, except for that darned Elvis Collar. Like many soldiers in my unit, we tookk the uniform to a tailor to cut down the collar to regular size.

I retired before I had to buy ACUs, so I didn't.

"Then National has done its job and given our youth a uniform which will meet the test of a campout or hike."

If National did do a good job, would any of you wear it camping?

Despite all the whining about its lack of utility, I wear the current class A when I go camping, so I see no reason why I wouldn't wear the new uniform when I go camping (at such time as I need to buy another one).

I think that this uniform is not much better than the current uniform. While the fabric is an improvement, I'm not sure about the other parts of the new unifrom, mainly the pockets.

The pockets that we have are fine and we don't need pockets that make Boy scouts look like Girl scouts. The pocket on teh sleeve is the worst idea in the world. It makes the position patch IMPOSSIBLE to put on without sewing through. Also, who wants to put something in that pocket if the look like they're packing a gun up their sleeve?

With out buttons, where will we put the hanging patches, OA dangle/NESA dangle, or anything else? The idea to make the shoulder loops a different color was idotic. Now for 10-15 years, maybe more, Boyscouts will be a divided program. The only good thing about this uniform is the troop numbers.

Gonzo: Never underestimate the ability of a 12 year old boy or an overweight leader to untuck anything. :)

To tell the truth, I never owned one of the regular shirts of that era. Mine were always the polyester/wool type, which were better up through the last set I bought 20 or so years ago.

Since I was a kid, I have never worn a neckerchief except in connection with Woodbadge events. Since I'm now a Sea Scouter, none of these issues really bother much anymore.

But those uniforms in the 1930's, those were some uniforms . . . :)

The reason why I asked is because I'm the SPL in my troop and I don't know know how we should go about the uniform change. Should it be mandatory? Should there be vote on when to wear it? What do you think is going to happen in your troops?

I think all you can require if you choose to do so is that a scout have a correct uniform. But since iot is not YOUR uniform you don/t get to decide what correct is. The uniform belongs to the BSa and they say that any official uniform remains offical and that official parts can be mixed.

As with the last uniform change, with time the majority of members will vabe a complete current uniform (accept for the units that do not know what a correct uniform is), and there will be a few who will continue to wear older uniforms tioll they die of fade away.

So I do not think you should try and demand that people buy new uniforms. Be patient and as the current uniform wears out,becomes difficult to find, or new scouts join, you will see the situation resolve itself.

Even in the Army, we have "wear-out" periods for current uniformage. As I recall, it took 5 years fully to replace fatigues with 1st generation BDUs. It took the better part of 4 years to replace BDUs with current Army combat uniform.

You should reasonably expect a 3 year or so cycle. Kids joining at 11 generally have grown enough to need new uniforms by 14; 14 year olds generally grow again enough to need new uniforms by 17.

If you choose to require the new uniform, you need to consult seriously with your Scoutmaster. The economy right now isn't fantastic. Putting a meal on the table costs Mom a fair bit more than it did a year ago. Fueling the gas tanks has doubled since past winter.

If you want to make the new uniform common wear quickly, think hard about doing some fundraisers to help all the youth in your Troop.

Yes, I think we should let the transition happen by itself. I myself am not sure if I will get a new shirt becouse my current one fits fine.

My question is more along the lines of: will you have your troops wear it outdoors? My troop doesn't wear the current "class A" except indoors and at ceremonies and parades, so I'm wondering how this "transition of usage" will take place.(This message has been edited by ditro)

The current official uniform is designed as a ceremony uniform and the action uniform for outdoor activities. The committee working on the new uniform, apparently responding to a number of people wanting to return to a single uniform that could serve two diverse applications of both formal and utilitarian, have designed it with materials that can be more durable (cotton canvas) or more light weight and faster drying (supplex nylon).. We will see how that works.

Personally I would rather see units get scouts enthusiastic over wearing the uniform rather than "make them" wear it.

I had to smile.

Last week I received an e-mail from our Council Scout Shop announcing that they were offering a 10% off sale on Scout uniforms.

While I have enough uniforms to last me a couple of life times.

I think it would take more than ten percent off to make me rush out and buy a uniform that while still valid would be outdated within a couple of months.

I can't wait to see the first Webelos Scout Den or New Scout Patrol all kitted out in this new uniform.

I bet they will look great.

Of course if our Scout Shop doesn't manage to sell the stock it has on hand? It might take a while.

Eamonn.

I can't seem to get an answer on what we are going to do with all the different colors of shoulder loops. The boys in the new uniform will be wearing green ones. Do all the boys wearing the current style of uniform change their red loops to green? What about Venture Crews, that are already wearing green loops?

Looks like we're setting ourselves up for a real hodge podge. Is that even a word?