The new uniform.

Just recently had a collage student walk in front of a metro train here. Looked one way at a double track crossing started across I-Pod blarring didn't hear the whistle of the approching train. She's in critical condition, because of here I-Pod, and lack of attention. We do not allow any electronics at the campsite, Phones I-pods all get looked away when we get to the site and we hand out when were loading into the vehicals for the drive back.

YIS

Doug

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new pants appear to be a combo of hit/miss. The new materials for active warm weather seems good, but unhemmed zip-offs of nylon will be hard to sew. I guess that if you need to to convert to shorts while on the trail, need to find a spot to sit and take off the boots to remove the legs. Hope they relent and have pre-defined lengths for the nylon pants or offer the lower zip portion in different lengths for purchase.

At least they have gone back to belows pockets on both legs, like my similar, but more brown-toned Columbia zip-offs. I missed those from the 1980's pants - used to tuck handbook in one pocket and my beret in the other. The new color is hard to tell. I have seen fliers for other items and when get to the store, it is either lighter or dark color than expected. I did not see the wool pants listed, guess they may be dropped. I was planning to get some for winter camp outs next year - nylon melts and is a bit thin to keep warm. Just bought switch backs for myself, so until being getting the new *improved* ones for awhile. This is year six with the current standard

pants. Have a pair with the real bellows pockets from my days in college, but can't squeeze back into those yet. Will the nylon ones last as long?

I will carry my pack into a site in uniform, but will not backpack in a uniform shirt with epaulets. They need to drop them. We got along without them until the mid-80's. Webelos have different neckerchiefs and hats than any troop in the US would, and the Red Commissioners' patch sufficed. Venturing has a different Uniform - so where is the need for colored tabs and epaulets?

The shirt pockets definitely look smaller in length and appear to be placed higher. Can we still fit all of our current training cards, membership cards (BSA, Venturing, and OA)at once due length of the pocket? The bellows style appears to help in the bulk of certificates and sewing on rank for Youth. But is there room for World Crest and 2-3 rows of Knots?

Frequently used Velcro fails - sometimes the Velcro itself is fine, but on thinner cloth, the stitches rip out. I also don't trust a non-button-through button to keep a temporary patch or pocket dangle from coming off. I guess I will either tack on a temp patch or leave that pocket plain, other than my Lodge flap.

It appears that the training patch is getting relocated. It not worn, perhaps there is room to a troop 25th or 50th anniversary bar. The shoulder\arm pocket I could picture using for lip balm, contact drops, etc while hiking\backpacking. Sewing on my ASM patch appears to be more challenging. Like the swiss tabs.

Hope the collar is more neckerchief friendly. If I wear one of my neckerchiefs, I roll my collar under - I started out with those lovely V-neck shirts where you needed a neckerchief, but it laid much better then. Usually I just toss on a camp or Philmont bolo tie - faster and no slide to lose. If the current short sleeve shirt does not go on sale then I will have to try one of the new long sleeve shirts.

The cap seems much nicer. Never wore the green and red one - hated it. Started out with the solid green cap with gold Fleur-de-lies and troop went to the red beret with the uniform change. By the nineties skipped any hat. Now need to cover the top - guess I am growing through it?

I hope the socks are basically just a color change. My son has very sensitive feet. Most toe seams annoy his feet - the current short socks he loves and would wear everyday for their comfort. The other 10 pairs of hiking socks - various brands, styles and weights annoy him - fun to listen to on a backpacking trip in the mountains with 34-50 degree weather and he wants to go sock less.

If I were to design the boy scout uniform, it would pretty much be minimal. Take a pair of Dickies work pants, a Dickies work shirt, add some rank/insignia knots, a few identifying patches on the sleeves and be done with it.

My inspiration? I remember being about 13 or 14, being in the woods with the 70's style uniform, and realizing that it's meant to be worn outdoors, not as a fancy billboard but as a practical shirt.

"If I were to design the boy scout uniform, it would pretty much be minimal. Take a pair of Dickies work pants, a Dickies work shirt, add some rank/insignia knots, a few identifying patches on the sleeves and be done with it. "

Well, that's your take.

In my part of the country, such clothing would NOT be practical outdoor clothing. Most sportsmen would NOT wear stuff like that. Too hot and heavy.

What is more popular is what is called a 'fishing shirt' (many sources, including Columnia, Bass Pro Shop, etc), which IMO the new shirt seems to take some of its ques from. billowed pockets, rollup sleeves, etc.

At the National Jamboree, the OA service corps used an embroidered blue Columbia fishing shirt as their activity shirt. I think the NESA people did the same thing.

It's kinda funny. At one time, a heavy woolen shirt was the ideal outdoors clothing. Then durable cotton or heavy wool. Nylon has been around for about 70 years and now it is suddenly in vogue for outdoors wear. I don't see why because it isn't durable and it's only positive attribute is that it dries quickly.

Oh well, in ten years it will be something else or maybe people will rediscover wool.

I do not know if employees of the national organization read this forum. But I have read of the new shoulder pocket, for iPods, and when all is said and done, these detract from the scouting program. I'm in league with Richard Louv, of the Last Child in the Woods book fame, the efforts now being taken to expose children to the outdoors. Electronics take you away from the experience.

In town, I'm not sure a leader would want the boys to be playing their iPods during a Court of Honor or meeting.

Any thoughts why this shoulder pocket is so important?

I read the earlier posts about the sleeve pocket being for an ipod/mp3 player and I think that that was just talk. It can be used to hold a compass, small pens, small clip knife, or other things. As far as using it for ipods go well I have an ipod I listen to during transport and I just won't put the idea into the scouts heads of putting an ipod in the side pocket. If no one suggests it to them it may not take on cause ipods would detract from meetings.

-schooley117

I just received information on the new Scout uniform.

Overall, the new unform really did not come as a surprise. Given the recent introduction of the semi-official Boy Scout Action shirt and the switchback pants, I thought that this would probably be the basis of a new BSA uniform.

And, the recent 2-for-1 sale of switchbasck pants, (I bought 2 pair as did many Scouts and Scouters in my troop) was apparently driven ny a desire to clear out soon to be obsolete stock.

Like many on this forum, my unofficial field uniform has been a tan supplex shirt and OD supplex pants (both from Columbia). This has worked worked well for me as a working field uniform for summer, spring and early fall.

Issues that I would like to see discussed:

The use of velcro to attach such things as:

- Rank

- Position of Responsibility

- Temporary activity patch

- Patrol patch

Velcro is used by the military with field uniforms to attached badges that often change. Why was this not adopted by BSA for the new uniforms?

The shift from red to green as the accent color for Scouts. I remember in the early 60s when the Boy Scout accent color was green. The knee sock garter tabs were green as well as the optional cotton poplin jacket. It is interesting that the color backing for service stars has consistently remained green.

I agree that I think that the Boy Scout accent color should be DIFFERENT than Venturing and Exploring.

It appears that the Troop # patch returns to the red on OD colors used pre-1960.

I agree with other comments that I would like the POR badges to return to the classic format simple format without the scout emblem.

I also agree that the switch back shorts are 2" to 3" too short. This will not be well received by most boys.

As a "survivor" of the 2005 National Jamboree, I do think that the new uniform will perform better in 110+ degree heat than the present uniform. I do agrren with concerns about how well a neckerchief will work with the new uniform.

Finally, I see that my current switchback pants were made in China. It is SAD that the BSA uniform is sourced from China. If not the US (which is what I would have preferred), then why not Latin America? Does every manufactured item have to come fron China?

Steve

Wilton, CT