The new uniform.

I just want to say that the new (or perhaps resurrected) idea of "outdoor functionality" of the uniform is great. But, really, it's going to be quite a huge undertaking to go back to wearing the uniform during just about every activity. I personally don't mind, but boys in general think about a uniform as something that they would like to wear as few times as possible. They associate it with uniform inspections and formal courts of honor. I really don't think the advertising in that brochure is going to make a scout eager to throw on his uniform to go camping. As far as they are concerned a tee-shirt and blue jeans is good enough.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was interesting with the ankle zippers.

I like the ankle zippers myself. Being able to unzip the legs and take them off over boots is very practical for hiking trips. Personally I've preferred that. I don't mind the idea of unhemmed for the canvas "convertibles" but would rather not have to hem Supplex nylon.

And how will Badge Magic work with Supplex nylon shirts?

I have noticed a big upswing in the number of boys in our troop who wear the "new" switchback (olive) scout pants for daily activity, whether to school or on active camp outs. Boys who would never in a million years have worn the "old" scout pants for actual physical activity, are happy in the newer pants. I still think a scouting T or hoodie is more likely active-wear than the revamped scout shirt will be, but who knows?

Our troop gave in several years back and ordered fleece hoodies with our troop info embroidered on them - at least that way, when boys changed out of the uniform, they were still wearing "scout" gear. And they do wear the hoodies with pride, even when they would prefer to hide the De la Renta shirts. This, combined with the popularity of the newer scout pants for "general" use, suggests to me that if the BSA were to design a more contemporary shirt, boys would indeed wear it. It isn't scouts that are "gay," but rather the fashion-designer uniform that gets criticized.

"Our troop gave in several years back and ordered fleece hoodies . . ."

People with a Y chromosome should not wear anything called a "hoodie" anymore than they'd wear "panties." Hooded sweatshirts are okay. Hoodies, nope.

"People with a Y chromosome should not wear anything called a "hoodie" anymore than they'd wear "panties." Hooded sweatshirts are okay. Hoodies, nope. "

Geez - I don't wanna be the one to break it to Nephew and his "homies" that they need to rename their "hoodies". If its reasonably clean and not vulgar I don't care if they call it georgie or a freddie, let alone hoodie.

YMMV

YiS

Michelle

I call them sweatshirts. THEY roll their eyes at my outdated vernacular and inform me that these are not sweatshirts, they are "HOODIES." You go ahead and let them know that this does not meet the "man" test. Good luck with that.

Lisabob - are you sure we aren't talking about the same boys? LOL

Oh, and for the record - my boy thinks the pants look good but hates the "queer" pockets on the shirt.

This was decided while out to dinner...wearing his current issue switchbacks (willingly even).

YiS

Michelle

I was talking to my old D.E. about these uniforms a few minutes ago, and when I jokingly mentioned the Cigarette pocket on the sleeve He said Thats a COMPASS pocket, you ! I hadnt thought of that because when we go on hikes or camping, I use Army issue web-gear with 2 1st-aid pouches. I use one of them for a small 1st-aid kit and the other for a compass, but then again most Scouts dont have that gear, so I guess that would be a not bad use for that pocket.

Just my cents worth on that pocket.

YIS

Craig from Michigan

First off, hello to everyone! This is my first regular post and and I wanted to give my two cents.

I've been following this debate on the different threads for about a week now.

The current de la Renta uniform is the only one I've worn, as I became a Boy Scout in 1989. So I can't lament for the loss of the uniform that my father wore in the 50's and 60's.

I might be the odd man out, but I never had a problem wearing the uniform, and even as a Scout, I was almost always in a proper uniform, including the nice short shorts and the knee high socks. To me, as a young scout, I saw a connection between the "modern" uniform I wore and the scouts in the Rockwell pictures in my hand book. They wore knickers and knee socks, I just saw it as something you wore as a scout.

So, I really don't have many complaints of the current uniform. Well, I do have a 100% cotton shirt, which I don't know about anyone else, but I swear its collar is twice the size of the poly-blend shirts.

Although, I personally don't like the switchback pants. I currently wear either shorts or the 100% cotton pants which don't have the side pockets (although I still have a pair of the old poly-blend pants I wore as a youth that have the regular cargo pants on the side).

I really think the switchbacks are very sloppy looking, although if the new ones are hemmable, then they'll be a huge improvement.

As for the new shirts, I can really see the need for a "field" uniform shirt. I was out this last weekend at our Lodge's Service Weekend, and what I noticed was that the adults and most of the older boys wore their uniforms, the younger ones wouldn't wear them (if they did, they didn't have on shorts) and many of the younger scouts didn't even wear scout related t-shirts. Now, I'm not talking about when we were actually doing any work, but after just walking around camp, at the Lodge election, or at the cracker barrel.

My invision of a "field" uniform is not much different than what has been presented, although without the bellow pockets. I see something that is light, breathes, and is unadorned. I figure the only thing on the field uniform should be the CSP, Unit Number, POR, Lodge Flap, and if a youth, Rank and Patrol Emblem. No knots, no temporay patches, no jamboree patches.

Have the field uniform, but keep a uniform shirt for everything else. You could wear the "old" shirt with the new pants for meetings, fund raising, public events, and the new "field" shirt while out camping.

I guess I shouldn't pass judgement until I actually see it, but I really don't see the new shirt something that will look professional out and about in the community. If this weekend was any indication, there does need to be a shirt that the boys will wear doing outdoor activities.

I just hope that the old stock goes on sale and I can pick up some shirts and shorts on the cheap!

YIS-

ES1996

Compass pocket? I'd rather keep it in one of the front pockets. I think that sleeve pocket was added because people think that they look cool.

While we're wishing, perhaps a better shirt would be something like a safari jacket or a BDU jacket/shirt. Wear it over T-shirt and it does double duty. You can wear a sweater or sweatshirt under it and stay warm. Big pockets. Durable fabric. Time tested design.

At the moment I cannot think of any other uniformed organization that wears the same clothing for formal as well as work situations.

While I understand the attempt by those who designed the new uniform to try and appease those who complained (it was difficult not to say 'whined') about the current uniform being a dress uniform and not being designed for use in the outdoors. But I think it will prove that you cannot be all things to all people.

There is good reasoning behind having a dress uniform and a work uniform, I say that as a leader in a BSA program that does that very thing. There are elements of a dress uniform that are not functional in an activity application and vice-versa.

The "new" uniform makes a great effort to use fabrics that are better suited for the some of the outdoor activities of scouting, but it retains features of the dress uniform that do not lend themselves to outdoor activities. A case in point is the shoulder epaulets and loops. No experienced backpacker would select a shirt with shoulder do-dads for backpacking. And the balloon pockets, which just begged to be filled, will not be comfortable under the shoulder straps of a pack.

At least the sleeve pocket is a nice backpack feature as it allows for easy access while backpacking, however as some have pointed out its location will means that you will no longer wear the same type of anniversary recognition and many councils will need to redo their oversized council strips. I noticed there is a loop under the left pocket, perhaps a new type of recognition for the Arrow of Light will hang there?

The colors are not bad at all and the overall look of the uniform is not that different from the current one. Again to think that the same clothing can be a formal uniform and a work uniform defies logic. In trying to appease everyone I think the designers forced themselves to retain some features that will not work formally and some that are not functional recreationally.

Hi, this is my first post. I am an assistant scoutmaster in SC and 20 years old so my question might just be one of ignorance.

I was wondering what the difference is between "Adult Classic Fit" and "Adult Relaxed Fit"? I have never seen this before in scout pants and I am confused about it.

Welcome to the forums, schooley117!

"Relaxed fit" is a nice way of saying fat guys like me can wear it. "Classic fit" probably means suitable for the more trim of build, which I definitely am not!