The new uniform.

The brochure says the the new uniform parts can be mixed/matched with the old, so you don't have to mortgage the farm to buy the whole thing at once. So, once again, nobody will be "uniform".

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"There is no room for the Arrow of Light under the rank!"

Current practice, I believe, is to wear it below the pocket. So there is room for it.

"The sleeve pocket is pointless and will make sewing POR that much harder. I guess I'll have to just get use too it."

True, but the pocket is more billowed, so it would be easier. It WILL ensure that people get those patches in the right place on the sleeve. But it means that CSP can't be the oversized ones that some council do for JSPs and SAPs. And there's no room for the veteran unit bars.

Ahh, the power of the internet. I got this pdf, forwarded it to Nephew's SM, who in turn shared it w/ the Council Store....who didn't know about it...nor did the Scout Executive....its like being in on a big secret.

YiS

Michelle

Ahh, the power of the internet. I got this pdf, forwarded it to Nephew's SM, who in turn shared it w/ the Council Store....who didn't know about it...nor did the Scout Executive....its like being in on a big secret.

:) :)

Yah, I think Irving still doesn't quite get the "viral" information flow on the net. ;)

No hoax, SR540. The 2 fer 1 sale on switchbacks is to clear out inventory prior to the stockin' of the new pants, which are a darker shade of green.

Elvis collar is gone.

New baseball cap is as big an improvement as da socks, IMO.

Gotta agree that the left sleeve is a bit of a mess. I'd like to see a simpler badge of office / rank system in the future.

Be interestin' to see how much the move toward color-muted field-wear is fought by da old guard. I can foresee a transition to more subdued CSPs in the near future, eh? I'd like to see 'em replace knots with a subdued military-style ribbons pin-on device of sorts.

B

"Let's see, we'll have Venturers with green shoulder loops, boy scouts with green shoulder loops, and boy scouts with red shoulder loops..... "

No no no no!

Venturers have SPRUCE green shoulder loops, boy scouts have FOREST green shoulder loops and RED shoulder loops. Totally different!

I may change out a few things onto my old uniform, but I'm not going to run out and buy any more uniforms for some time. I have boys wearing the old style mule-eared pants because they like them so I have no complaints. The ability to hem the switchbacks is a major step forward. I saw no reason for boys to wear pants that are 4" too long just because it was impossible to hem them up.

As far as the sleeve pocket that's dorky and difficult to sew on? One an solve both problems at the same time. Just sew the patch all the way through because the pocket isn't going to be used anyway.

I'm planning on replacing my uniforms with the new stuff when the old wears out and some of them still look brand new after 15 years, so it's going to be a while.

Stosh

FWIW, when the current uniform was rolled out, I didn't get it for awhile. I had to when I went to the 81 jamboree as a youth. After that, I pretty much used the new uniform.

I would expect most people to do something similiar. You're going to have people run out and get the new uniform immediately, but also many who won't. And will still wear the current uniform for several more years.

I like the new tan and green unit numbers and position patches.

But I wish that the shirt came with velcro for the unit numbers and position patch to meet the needs of those in multiple units.

Actually, I would like to see the same uniform colors for all programs, with different shoulder loop colors for the programs. That would sure simplify things.

I too am a little unsure of the sleeve pocket.

And I am unsure about the color change for the pants. Is suspect it it to move away from the olive green which looks very "military". But some military forces around the world do wear a dark "forest" green color uniform. I look forwar to seeing how the pants bottom can be tailored.

My main issues with the current switchbacks are:

1. The length is an issue - no way to adjust it.

2. The material is a bad choice. I would like to see a ripstop cotton nylon blend. The current material feels to me like I have nothing on.

3. The pockets are too shallow. The need to be deeper - all of them. and all of the pockets, including the front needs a velcroed flap.

4. The belt that comes with them is not very good.

But I do like the olive green color and the zip-off legs.

I guess we will have to see what the new uniform looks like and adapt to it. I will probably buy a couple of the current uniforms just so I have them.

Position patches are the same but the "trained" patch has gone stealth.

"2. The material is a bad choice. I would like to see a ripstop cotton nylon blend. The current material feels to me like I have nothing on."

There is a new cotton/poly pants for the new uniform as an alternative to the flimsy nylon.

I don't care for the mesh pockets of the switch backs. Keys and such tend to get stuck in the mesh. I don't need breathing pockets.

The real "Test" will be what the Scouts and their parents think of the changed uniform.

I know a lot of Lads who will want to be the first one in the Troop to have one.

Kinda like when one Lad arrives at the Webelos Scout Den meeting with a tan shirt.

After that it seems in no time the entire Den is wearing tan shirts.

Eamonn

Well as I said I don't think it is anything like perfect but my teenage son is already asking when he can get it. So I guess if Eamonn's test is the one that matters and if my son is any indication then it should go over rather well.

As for me I have been waiting to pick up a new uniform for some time. I want to wait and see the shirt for real (I agree with gwd about the look of the bellows pockets - not exactly ideal for women! But maybe?? we'll get really lucky and the women's version will be somewhat different in that regard) but I'll probably get one if it isn't too awful. (If it is then I may just get one of the newer "activity" shirts instead and let people deal with it if they want to complain) I will almost certainly pick up a pair of the new switchbacks. I like the unhemmed plan - it isn't hard to hem pants and the current olive switchbacks don't fit me or my son right in terms of waist/length no matter what size I pick.

By the way our scout shop just announced an extension of the 2 for 1 olive switchbacks through June 20 - still no official mention of or willingness to confirm the new uniform roll out though. Frankly I think that's duplicitous or worse. I know for a fact that the scout shop staff in my council knows what's coming down the line.