The new uniform.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to be a pessimist, but is this for real or an elaborate hoax? I've searched high and low thru google and the official BSA website and can find nothing regarding this new uniform. The PDF phamphlet even has prices listed on it. Then again, is this why switchbacks are on sale 2 for 1? Are they getting rid of the inferior stock to make way for the improved pants?

I gotta say, I kinda like it. The muted colors of the patches and numbers almost looks retro to me. I still don't like epaulets but these are acceptable if you gotta have them. The bellow pockets are pretty standard on REI and Columbia shirts now. Same with the arm pocket, whatever that is for.

Hat, oh yeah, I'll buy one of those. Really! Much better than the old one.

Oh the socks, huge improvement. Get rid of those dorky red banded knee highs.

Big question though. Are the new switchbacks the same color as the old ones? Can I just buy the shirt or am I in for the whole ensemble?

I like the knee socks :-( As Tevye said, "tradition" that and if people actually wore them in the field, they'd keep critters off your legs.

I doubt if the new "cool" uniform will prompt many Scouts to want to wear their uniform to school. Scouting will still be considered dorky, no matter what the uniform is like.

I suppose that I'd better get down to the Scout shop and pick up a couple pairs of knee socks while I still can.

The current knee high socks worn with BSA regulation shorts could best be described as BCS (Birth Control Socks).

I agree, this new uniform ain't gonna make scouting cooler, just more field practical.

Now personal geek moment, there's a Columbia outlet store in my town. I went and bought 5 of their outdoor supplex shirts to wear to work everyday. Just because I like the fit and and still wear them on the weekend.

The entire BSA uniform could be described as a "BCU" for the younger fellows.

On the other hand, I was in an airport wearing my uniform (with knee socks) and I was dragged off to an empty lounge by the Laker Girls where they had their way with me. Then a really strange thing happened, I woke up and found myself in my bed. Don't know how I got there . . .

SR540Beaver writes:

I hate to be a pessimist, but is this for real or an elaborate hoax? I've searched high and low thru google and the official BSA website and can find nothing regarding this new uniform.

If you call ScoutStuff.Org (1-800-323-0736) with questions about the new products as pictured on the flier, these stock numbers do correspond with the descriptions of the new products already on their computers (but not available until August).

Kudu

Excuse me???????

or is that Well excuuuuuussee meeeee

I don't particularly care for the current collar, I think it looks hideous. The flyer seems to show a smaller collar.

I've always prefered the 1970's style, green shirt (with collar) and green pants.

Is there a new design for the Cub Scout and Venturing Uniform, or is everyone going to wear the same uniform? I may buy another pair or two of the Venturing Shorts for staffing at camp this summer, but if they are changing as well, I don't want to waste my money.

Also, are the Switchbacks changing? this might explain the 2 for one deal, but again, I don't want to take advantage of the discount if I'm going to need new pants in fall.

Gern,

It appears the new switchbacks are a different color - forest green instead of olive. At least that is what the description for item #6 says. Hence the 2 for 1 sale. If they come with unfinished hems, I don't see how they could have boot zippers on the legs, so the "old" switchbacks I just bought will most likely see a lot of use.

So... will a new Insignia Guide be in the near future, with language about wearing the new shirt with the old switchbacks?? Hopefully this will be a smooth transition.