The new uniform.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody posted the new uniform flier (bin 70-134) here:

You have to be a member of the Yahoo Group to see it; if anybody has a place they can post it publicly, PM me and I'll send you a copy.

The patch colors are a definite improvement over the red.

The placement of the small front "bra-pockets" looks very odd indeed.

The well-designed BSA Action Shirt led me to have such high hopes for the Centennial Uniform. The Action Shirt is even over-the-collar Neckerchief friendly.

According to ScoutStuff.Org, the new Switchback Pants will come unhemmed. Ugh! General length size ranges with shock cord adjustments would be the way to go with growing boys.

I can't say that the Centennial Uniform was worth the ten year fight for an outdoor Uniform.

Kudu

Agree...the new colors are better. Not as great an improvement as I had hoped for. The most promising thing is the new fabrics. The pocket on the left sleeve looks vestigial...not big enough for anything other than a pack of smokes. The old pain of sewing on patches is still with us. No more pocket buttons...where do we hang temp patches and the OA arrow? No room for AOL. Shoulder loops still there...sigh. Guess my current uniform will have to last me until I retire (which will be soon).

I showed my son the pamphlet. His first comment was that the shirt doesn't look much different, not much of an improvement there in terms of style. But, he does think the new material will be an improvement, he likes the more muted colors for the patches, and he's glad the "dorky" pocket buttons are gone. Then he asked whether he'd be able to get one in time for summer camp.

He had more positive comments about the new socks, which have lost the red stripe across the top.

I don't see what the big deal was with red patches. We've had them almost forever. A subdued number patch makes no sense with a brightly colored rank/position/CSP.

Buttons dorky? That's a new one by me.

Velcro? Don't care for it as it collects lint and makes noise when you undo it.

I agree with the others on the silly pockets. The front are too small to really be practical as bellows pockets. My M65 field jacket has pockets big enough to stick a paperback book into. That's a nice sized bellows pocket.

I'd also like to see a pair of grown-up pants for those of us who don't spend much time in the woods and have no need for zip offs.

Cap? Okay, fine.

Socks, nothing special or unique there.

Shoulder loops? Will venturing get a new color loop? If we wear our old shirt should we get new loops and a new troop number?

I wouldn't have cried if they had dispensed with the epaulettes and the loops.

Alas, no one asked me. :-(

Buttons dorky? That's a new one by me.

Yeah well GW, he's 13. There's no telling what will offend his sensibilities at any given time. He likes the velcro though and come to think of it, most of his cargo-type pants (non scout) do have a lot of velcro pockets on them so I suppose that is a more current style. As for me, I agree the pockets don't look very functional and we'd be better off without them. But imagine the horrified yells from those who like to dangle things off the pockets.