New Eagle Knot Variety

I have met 4 holders of the James West Fellowship knot, none of whom made the contribution personally. One was my former Scoutmaster who is now long past Scoutmastering, but still active with my old Troop's Committee. All received it as an additional means of recognition long after they had received the Silver Beaver, apparently from contributions from appreciative friends and fellow Scouters. I have not personally met someone who "bought" the knot or more correctly, made the contribution so that they could have the knot. The new PTC knot sounds more like a "been there, done that (twice)" award.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not the West knot that bugs me but the new ones. Why one for life members of the NESA vs regular Eagle knots? Why one for going to Philmont more times? Most that have been to Philmont have things such as the bull, belts, and patches to show. Why do they need a knot? Before you know it they will come up with more knots for donations as Nat'l is getting very money focused. Yes, award them something but use something else.

Drat the typos!(This message has been edited by firekat)

Maybe the real issue is "knot creep". . . an area that should show achievement being used for additional purposes, public recognition.

For my buck-fifty, I like the notion of keeping the knots just for personal achievement ("earned") stuff. In fact, I'd prefer the whole uniform for this.

That's why the plaque industry needs more support! A plaque and a handshake should do the trick for the larger contributers.

(By the way, you know what irks me? Political contributers getting access, and influence, just because they dumped $500 on an elected official. What's $500? Why does the guy from, say, Exxon, get access for this? I myself could give $500 to an official. . . but should I then expect to get to write legislation? I guess I would hope our elected officials would hold out for much more money!)

If anyone has ordered the new NESA Eagle Knot through Supply (i.e. Local Council Scout Shops, National Scout Shops, scoutstuff.org, etc..) expect delays. The knots that were originally released were found to be defective and has been sent back to production. Not exactly sure when it will be "re-released".

If you were lucky enough to receive one of these defective knots, it's not going to kill you. It's just slightly oversized. =)

• 1 month later...

This special eagle knot definitely sounds like a fundraiser's idea. While I am not opposed to recognizing NESA members, why not just bring back the dangle? Good enough for the OA, why not for NESA.

Also Philmont already has special recognitions, why do they need a knot?

As a Lifetime Member of NESA, I have no problem with the new square knot and I plan to wear once one problem with it is resolved. As you must know by now, the new square knot has been manufactered in China like 98.7% of everything else the BSA sells. This time the quality control guys weren't paying attention. (Maybe they were suffering from lead poisoning!!!!)

Once you trim all the excess fabric away from the new silver border, the knot is about 1/4 of an inch too long and 1/8 of an inch too high. Yes sports fans our Chinese friends made it too big. Now maybe they thought the lifetime NESA members really needed some "additional" recognition!!!! Only a guess!?!?

If you try to incoporate the new knot with your existing knots, your shirt looks pretty messed up!!!!

I guess the real question is, "who's doing quality control for the BSA????

Who knows, maybe some day these may be as valuable as the inverted Graf Zepplin stamp and I have five of these overized square knots!!!! Honey, were rich!!!!! Let's move to Vegas!!!!!(This message has been edited by Eagletrek)

OBTW, not all the defective square knots have been sent back to the manufacturer. I purchased five of the "super-sized" knots at the Scout Shop in the National Scout Museum in Irving, Texas this weekend, 16 AUG 08.(This message has been edited by Eagletrek)

Well, I guess your Eagle is better than my son's Eagle, you're paying $180 for a special Eagle knot. He'll have to wait until he's finished paying for his share of his undergraduate education to allocate money to a silver mylar frivolity.

I'm exceptionally proud of his achievements so far. A week ago he was awarded a staff scholarship from his Scout Reservation. He passed muster with his bosses, and he worked darn hard all season. He's done things I never was able to do.

Even so, your Eagle is better than his Eagle at the knot level, you paid $180 for it.

BSA has two clases of Eagle: Have (lifetime) knot, and have not a lifetime knot.

I'm confused.

Well, I guess your Eagle is better than my son's Eagle.

We are all Eagles. No one is "better" than another.

Does the fact that I have Eagle Palms make me better than my cousin who does not have any Eagle Palms on his Eagle square knot? No! Just different.

I paid for "lifetime" membership to my Council's OA lodge. I figured I would be lazy and pay it all at once and get it over with, instead of paying year-by-year. Got a snazzy OA flap. Does that make me a better Arrowman? No. Just because I had the $$ and could afford it (this one time) I did it.

Does having 7 square knots on your uniform make you a better Scouter? Probably not. I know of several outstanding Leaders who haven't earned a single training-award. They are more concerned about providing a Quality Program for "The Boys" rather than earning training-awards!

"I paid for "lifetime" membership to my Council's OA lodge. I figured I would be lazy and pay it all at once and get it over with, instead of paying year-by-year. Got a snazzy OA flap. Does that make me a better Arrowman? No. Just because I had the $$ and could afford it (this one time) I did it."

They now allow "lifetime" memberships in the OA? Since when?

I paid lifetime membership in my OA Lodge --- not Lifetime membership in the National Order of the Arrow.

If I move to another Council and another lodge, then I will still have to pay dues to the new lodge.

It justs makes it easier to pay all at once for something than having to remember to pay each and every year --- especially when you get to be as "old" as I am! lol

"National" OA does not provide "lifetime" membership, but our lodge (AKK #185) does provide that option to its members (both youth and adults).

No, LCS, there are two classes of Eagles now:

- Those who pay $180 for a special mylar bordered knot.

- All the rest.

That's my observation of it. Vanity, vanity... the new class is just vanity.

No John, my Eagle square knot isn't any better than your son's. My new square knot only indicates that I'm a life-time member of NESA. Frankly, I don't expect new Eagles or their parents to fork out the $180.00 for a lifetime membership. In fact, I didn't write that check until I was a Lieutenant Colonel in the US Army.

Now that NESA has issued a knot to recognize life-time members why shouldn't I wear it? I'm proud to be a life-time NESA member. Maybe wearing this new knot will encourage others, when they're ready, to become life-time NESA members too.

In fact, NESA members (to include life-time members) have hosted some nice events in the past to support new Eagle Scouts. When I was in Heart of America Council, the local NESA chapter hosted an annual dinner event called "A Gathering of Eagles" at a local KC venue. Both NESA members and non-member Eagle Scouts (ie. us old guys) forked out money to sponsor a new Eagle Scout and his family at this event. We were paired up with new Eagles based on their potential career fields/professions so that we could impart some knowledge to the new Eagle and his family about that career field/profession. It was a great event and I can only hope that it still happens.

So before we go bashing this new square knot you probably need to consider that some of us life-time members have done more to support the association other than writing a $180.00 check.

Yes, and that event was closed to youth Eagles. I know, my son got the invite, called Council and was told he could not attend.

Around here, the Tribe is a better network than NESA. At least all understand the rules under which who gets what claws and paint.