New Eagle Knot Variety

On the NESA site, the latest "Eagletter" announces a variant knot with a silver border for life members of NESA. It will be available on June 1st; they stress that only one is worn, so that one or the current one.

Some other interesting material in the current issue.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will find it on page 18 of the SPring 2008 Eagleletter

"Life MEmbers of the National Eagle Scout Association can set themselves apart from other Eagles with a special Eagle Scout square knot--this one with a silver border signifying their support of Eagle Scouts through NESA Life Membership. (Only one Eagle Scout Award square knot may be worn.)..."

And it looks like others didn't see this topic, so they started a new topic on it. I look forward to replacing the Eagle Knots on my three uniforms.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the new knot looks just like the Eagle Scout one that they have right now with the exception of a silver boarder. The one problem i have with the knot is that you must be a LIFE member. When i became Eagle NESA was offering a special deal, i believe it was $25 for several years, in fact my certificate says I am a member until the year 2020. But know to recieve this new knot i have to pay $180 to become a life member! sorry but its a little agitating.

• 1 month later...

The only problem with the new Eagle Award knot for Life-Members of the NESA is the silver mylar border. Do you remember the problems with the silver mylar in the Eagle Award badges for youth members a few varieties ago? The silver mylar thread will fail thru multiple machine washings and drying cycles. In order to ensure that you always look your best, you will have to dry-clean your uniform shirts.

NESA should stay out of the uniform awards business. The Eagle Knot should be the Eagle Knot and your membership in NESA should not have anything to do with the appearance of the knot. If NESA wants to create something for civilian wear to recognize a Life Member that is fine, but not for the uniform.

Why does this remind me of the days when you could buy anything in Russia if you had money?

A knot is supposed to mean something. An honor or award of significance. I do not like the way this has been going...you now have:

The James West Fellowship Award - Cost $1000

Philmont Training Center Knot - Cost $900 + travel for two sessions.

National Eagle Scout Association Knot - Cost $180

Are there any others I have missed?

1910 Society (a device for the West knot?)

A special national recognition program known as the 1910 Society was created in 1995 to encourage significant gifts to the council endowment fund. This support is vital to the financial stability of the Council, and will ensure our Scouting legacy for future generations of young Americans.

To qualify as a member of the 1910 Society, an individual donor, company, or organization must contribute $25,000 or more to the local council endowment fund. Recognition will be given for gifts of cash, stock, bonds, lead trusts, or other assets that could be readily converted to cash. The gift to endowment may be in the form of a pledge, but the pledge must be paid within five years of the pledge date.

The 1910 Society was named for the year in which the early, visionary leaders of Scouting founded the Boy Scouts of America. There are four levels of recognition in the 1910 Society:

Ernest Thompson Seton, nationally known artist and naturalist, author of the first official American Scout handbook and many other books important to Scouting; Seton level membership: $25,000 minimum gift.

Daniel Carter Beard, first chairman of the National Court of Honor, National Scout Commissioner, and author of many well- known books and stories for youth; Beard level membership: $100,000 minimum gift.

Theodore Roosevelt, first Chief Scout Citizen, first vice president of the BSA, and President of the United States; Roosevelt level membership: $500,000 minimum gift.

Waite Phillips, one of the BSA's first benefactors, and donor to the BSA of almost 130,000 acres of land in New Mexico and what is now Philmont Scout Ranch; Phillips level membership: $1,000,000 and up.

Members receive a leather-bound edition of the Boy Scout Handbook with their name embossed in gold on the cover, an attractive personalized parchment certificate and a distinctive lapel pin or charm. They also receive invitations to special members-only events and receptions at National Meetings, Jamborees, and other major Scouting events.

"Are there any others I have missed? "

If you going to be cyanical, EVERY knot or award has a $price. To "buy" the Scoutmaster Key award add up the costs for driving to meetings and campouts, unreimbursed costs for equipment and supplies, training fees, your handbook cost, mileage to Roundtable etc., uniform, the value of your personal time, and dont forget you annual registration fee too. Thats adds up to a lot more than a couple of Philmont trainings ($420 each).

"If you going to be cyanical, EVERY knot or award has a $price. To "buy" the Scoutmaster Key award add up the costs for driving to meetings and campouts, unreimbursed costs for equipment and supplies, training fees, your handbook cost, mileage to Roundtable etc., uniform, the value of your personal time, and dont forget you annual registration fee too. Thats adds up to a lot more than a couple of Philmont trainings ($420 each)."

Now who's being cyanical? The real cost of those knots is in volunteer time. Not simply the time of writing a check. I suppose next will be the argument that time was spent working to earn the money. Sorry, but that argument just doesn't make it compare. Scouters who earn those knots work too.