Additional Devices on Square Knots

Don't understand the statement about changing the youth religious knot to adult religious knot when a scout turns 18, they are different awards. An adult who earned a religious award as a scout wears the youth religious knot as an adult. With any devices to denote the age group it was earned as.

The training award and key are worn with the device(s) of group(s) earned with. Same with the SM Award of Merit.

"When he turns 18 he changes the knot to an adult knot, silver with purple cord knot,"

Not quite. If you earned the religious award as a youth, you continue to wear the silver knot on purple. The "Adult Knot" is only worn if you earned the adult religious medal.

"Or does the scouter use one knot and apply two devices?"

You may only wear one knot of each type so you're right on with this one.

Whilst pondering this one, it occurred to me that there is no was to show that one has won multiple heroism awards.

Ok, that clears that up with the exception that I don't ever recall seeing any adult wearing the youth religious knot. I can't imagine they all have earned the award as an adult.

Stosh

There is a 61 year old man in our unit who wears the youth religious award, because he earned the Unitarian Universalists Religion In Life award as a youth. I have seen several others in this Council wearing youth knots, particularly younger (40 and under) LDS Scouters who earned Faith in God or On My Honor as youth.

I think we have a little bit of confusion going here.

Tons of adults were the silver knot on purple (Youth Religious knot) to represent the earning of the award. It is the equivalent of wearing the Eagle knot or the AOL knot to represent the award earned in youth.

I personally wear the Youth Religious knot with the Boy Scout device to represent the God and Church award (Protestant) earned as a youth. There is no additional awarding of the religious awards that an adult can earn that would relate to this knot.... so any devices would be solely for awards earned as a youth (under 18). An adult can not earn a Youth Religious knot as an adult... only from past award as a youth.

Now.. as an adult.. the purple knot on silver background Adult Religious Knot is only awarded for exceptional service to the religious program by a religious organization. It is a nomination/recognition that is out of the control of the Scouter and usually requires a minimum of 5 years of solid notable service and no self nomination.

Funny how things spin on the forum... my initial intention is just to ask about anyone's thought on a mark, pin, hash, number, etc that could be used for any of the Adult knots (or heroism) to represent a second awarding of a knot.

The only scouting award I am aware of that has a distinction for multiple awards is not a knot. The Varsity Scout letter may be awarded multiple times and has bars attached to it to signify additional awards.

The Great Salt Lake Council used to have a special knot for College of Commissioner Science that had special pins denoting the level of completion, but I believe they have discontinued it.

bkale wrote:

"Funny how things spin on the forum"

Yes it is. I ran a very popular motorsports forum for a couple years as the sole moderator. However, when one tries to keep people real tight to the topic, the site tends to lose participants. I have come to realize that a forum with topics that drift occasionally is "normal", and a sign of a healthy board. :-)