Which Insignia Do You Respect?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, a lot of "I's" and "Me's" in a couple of the previous posts. Enough said.

A year since my previous post. I have a much better answer, I see Leaders with pressed immaculate highly decorated uniforms at camp outings and others with not patch one on them at award banquets.

The Leader I respect is the one in a worn out uniform. The pants with the worn knees, the rumpled well loved worn uniform shirt. It tells me that it is worn alot, the worn knees shows active participation. In my book that is more of an award than any knot or bobble.

I will go as far to say those with woodbadge beads must work harder to earn my respect. I have ran across more than a few woodbadgers who demand immediate respect because of their beads. NOPE, not gonna happen.

Any Scouter who stands in the background and wears the smile of contentment about what the Scouts are doing.

The Scouter who is about ready to explode because he wants so badly to voice his opinion or idea to the troop but waits until he can have the SPL or PL's ear.

The Scouter who sees something falling apart on all sides but restrains himself from stepping in and continues to let the SPL or PL handle things.

The insignia I respect most on a Scouter is understanding and patience.

FWIW - I like Scouters who wear their beads and knots because typically it is a good indicator of what how much they know or should about the program.

All you watching out for well worn uniforms please don't judge me to harshly because I just got a new shirt and I often times have the legs zipped of my switchbacks so the knees are not very worn.

"All you watching out for well worn uniforms please don't judge me to harshly because I just got a new shirt and I often times have the legs zipped of my switchbacks so the knees are not very worn. "

Same here. I had an unfortunate leaky pen incident a few weeks ago.

Interesting posts on the ones who are looking for well-worn uniforms. I wonder what they would think of me since I try to bring two full neat looking uniforms with me to summer camp. One shirt is the same one I bought for my Eagle ceremony 25 years ago and use regularly. The other has been to the '89 Jamboree, numerous summer camps, countless meetings, etc. Unfortunately, I have to confess the shorts are only 10 years old and I just had to buy a couple new pairs of slacks as the older ones seem to have shrunk on me. I think my shirts are shrinking too ... :(

You went to the '89 NSJ? So did I, but I was 12 so my shirts only lasted a couple more years.

Not officially. I was ASM with the troop at the time, the SM planned out a big road trip in a bus we renovated for the purpose. Part of the trip involved 3 days visiting the NSJ. Fantastic, would have loved to do that as a Scout but couldn't afford it then.

Incidentally, I just met one of the Scouts who was on the trip with us at our council's Scout Expo last weekend. He's not only grown up, he was an SM and ASM at another troop and is now the Packleader for his son's pack. Scouting is great. :D