Which Insignia Do You Respect?

One that has not been mentioned is the Scoutmaster Award of Merit. It is not a trivial task to earn and reflects not only on the SM but on his unit in general.

And while not properly worn on the uniform, I like to see mentor's pins. An Eagle Scout saying, "This person helped me become the man I am today", is meaningful. I'll take a mentor's pin over a training knot any day.(This message has been edited by jet526)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The knots I am the most proud of are mentor pins, my adult religous, district merit, and don't laugh my tiger coach. I am not found of the knot thing == where I originally came from they were not considered a big deal -- where I live now well I feel like a mexican general - I have 12 of them and feel so silly -- it isn't about that it is about the boys for me -- so the goofy fake buzzard(eagle)(i am female) and the knot the boys can up with for my husband to honor his Queen Scout (now called Rover) are the most special -- not worn but framed.

District Award of Merit and Silver Beaver - knots that are given through nomination and then selection of a Scouter that has shown service beyond his/her unit.

OA Vigil Honor and/or Founder's Award. Though not square knots, they are also awarded through nomination and show a significant level of commitment to one's Lodge.

Scoutmaster Award of Merit. Again, received through nomination.

My choices are not meant to take away from the training knots, but I do like to see the knots awarded by the nomination and selection of one's peers.

It's interesting to see how different many of the responses are. My post will be similar to many others, but I may differ in my reasons.

I value the District Award of Merit as #1. I was nominated by my fellow district scouts (friends) and that has great meaning for me.

#2--The Boyce New Unit Award. I was the first scouter in our District to recieve it and I was in the first Council group to be recognized. Our WD Boyce dinner will be in one month

#3--Eagle Scout. That says it all

#4--Distinquished Commissior

#5--Vigil Award

#6--American Legion Community Service Square Knot Award. I was the first in our district to receive this also. (Still the only one, as far as I know)

It's interesting to see how different many of the responses are. My post will be similar to many others, but I may differ in my reasons.

I value the District Award of Merit as #1. I was nominated by my fellow district scouts (friends) and that has great meaning for me.

#2--The Boyce New Unit Award. I was the first scouter in our District to recieve it and I was in the first Council group to be recognized. Our WD Boyce dinner will be in one month

#3--Eagle Scout. That says it all

#4--Distinquished Commissior

#5--Vigil Award

#6--American Legion Community Service Square Knot Award. I was the first in our district to receive this also. (Still the only one, as far as I know)

As a returning Scouter of just over eighteen months after having taken a few decades off. I wanted to share my thoughts on this subject. I was an active youth member attaining Eagle at 17 along with a palm. I also earned the recognition of my faith and earned a Catholic religious medal. Now that I have returned to Scouting I proudly wear my two youth related knots. I look around at some of the other Scouters in my district and have many f the feeling already expressed in this thread. However, I would like to be able to show my renewed dedication to Scouting and be able to wear an adult related knot or two. Perhaps simply the Scouter's Training Award would be enough for me.

Knots are representative of accomplishments or honors. Some Scouters wear all they're entitled to wear and some don't. Wearing the knot doesn't change the character or substance of the wearer. I respect the person who lives up to what the knot represents more than the colored piece of cloth.

BeaverIII

• 2 months later...

To me, there are three symbols - the Eagle Patch, Eagle Medal or the Eagle Knot. Rest is gravy. Although a Vigil triangle is also pretty important, especially those on the youth, or earned when you were a youth.

In addition to the others mentioned, the Hornaday Award Knot. Three Eagle sized conservation projects approved through National. There have only been something like 1500 of the medals awarded.