BSA Uniform Shirt "Made in China"?

Hey GW!!!!!! Don't include me in your "we" statement. I wasn't screaming about cheap uniforms. Frankly, I thought they were fairly reasonably priced when you considered their cost over time.

All I expect the BSA to do is live up to the values that they preach and not buy uniforms from a country that prohibits scouting.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Don't include me in your "we" statement."

We're all part of the problem. Did you ever say to your employer, "I don't need a raise. Use the money to hold the line on prices."?

Do you refuse to buy Chinese made products? Wal-Mart isn't the only villian in this play. Go to Sears, Macy's, The Bon-Ton, Boscov's and look at their products. I was in Macy's the other day and stopped to look at "Irish" glassware, it was made in China.

Not long ago I bought some big iced tea glasses at Wal-Mart, I was surprised to see that they were made in the USA. So I went back and bought four more.

You're right. BSA should not be buying products from countries that don't support Scouting. I did find their comments about their licensing practices to be a bit disingenuous, they claimed that they wanted to make sure that every thing was a quality product and that they were inspecting the factories. Har!

• 1 month later...

as of now there has been rumors afloat about a lot of the "stuff" that is going on about the centenial uniform. for example it was in the works for approx 2 years, supposedly field tested, highly doubtful in my opinion, or we wouldnt have problems like buttons coming off already on the shirts and pants...also there is a rumor that the factories are short on fabric to make the uniforms.

big shake up at national with the customs dept gone from north carolina, yes there are a few people there, but we dont have a in house shop to do orders. all out-sourced. as to the above mentioned about the 'new' uniforms...I am a scoutmaster and I really dont think that the uniform was designed from a parent scout group, or anyone ever saw the uniform...the pocket on the sleeve is crap! in our troop we DONT bring ipods to a camp out...can you just see that, sorry mom I lost my $99 - $300 ipod while camping! or other volunteers have been calling it a "cigarette" pocket...no tails on the uniform, leads me to beleive, along with others, that it is designed to be worn out of the pants...currently the shop I go to, cant get the new shirt, they are not available, why? they dont know...so the big hoopla over the new uniform went sour. where are the relaxed fit pants? no one knows. more on this subject in a few...

I was hoping the new uniform would go back toward the classic scout uniform---knock off the Oscar doo-dads, bells and whistles. Instead, they upped it---but it kind of makes sense in 2008 to try to follow what's trendy at Columbia, Patagonia, REI, etc. At the end of the day, the boy's going to be more attracted to that.

I dislike the military look. It's a gut reaction. My former troop was more conservation oriented than battle oriented, I suppose. We never really captured that "formal" look some troops practice.

Regarding China. I'm tired of buying Chinese stuff. To me, it indicates a serious lack of policymaking at the federal level: we should have developed advanced manufacturing in the U.S. to a much greater extent, rather than let it all slip offshore. So much for concern about the middle class!

" we should have developed advanced manufacturing in the U.S. to a much greater extent, rather than let it all slip offshore. So much for concern about the middle class!"

We did develop the advanced manufacturing methods then we sent the the machinery to China. MOst of the wealthy don't care about the middle class unless it profits them. In fact many of the middle class don't care about the middle class as long as the prices stay low. Not long ago, I was having a conversation with someone about exporting jobs. He didn't care as long as prices were low. Where'd he work? He was a fireman so he job was safe or at least it is until the tax base collapses.

currently half of the manufactures in china are closed, started closing in may of this year 2008...including textiles (pants shirts socks) and other useful 'stuff', however...it leads me to beleive that the scout shops dont have all of the uniform peices because of this...example, the scout shop i go to talks about the relaxed fit pants never showing up, they dont know where they are...so this makes sense, some of the uniforms made in china are gone, manufacturing plant gone! so now what...I will stick to the traditional uniform, thats why I bought extra shirts and pants and socks...till next time.

"currently half of the manufactures in china are closed, started closing in may of this year 2008...including textiles (pants shirts socks) and other useful 'stuff'"

I'd like to read more about this but I struck out on Google. Can you post links?

Lets not forget our past. Scouting was created by BP, a British Army General. Some early BSA uniforms were old WWI uniforms. BSA continued with a OD green style uniform for a long time. Even those little cargo like pockets on what is now the "old" uniform were taken from the military. One of the innovations to come out of WWII was the Paratrooper and the uniform they wore (cargo pockets). One of the comments I have seen in the ads for the new uniforms says "its all about the fabric". Things like moisture wicking materials, and cargo pockets may show up at Columbia and REI but all those innovations have some ties to the military. Even my Army Combat Uniform has some of the same qulaitys of the new Scout shirt. (but the velcro is junk) So what's wrong with a "military look". Uniforms are just that uniforms whether its the high school band, scouts, fire department or military. CPT John Green USA.

• 1 year later...

Sorry cye but the Chinese uniform shirt is hardly "high quality". If anything it is an embarrassment to both the BSA and China. The plastic patches peel off after a couple of washings, the material, IMHO, is cheap and uncomfortable to wear over a period of time, and also IMHO the shirt looks ridiculous. The pants are even more of a joke, and for all that quality the uniform price went up. The same thing can be said for the cheaply made and tinny camping supplies from China, etc., etc. Not to mention the Chinese government is little more than a tyrannical dictatorship trying to pass itself off as progressive. Mazzuca you've got a lot of explaining to do.

Made in America used to stand as a source of pride now it looks like it should be changed to Nothing Made in America. RIP American industry and free enterprise.

You'd think, at the very least by name - Boy Scouts of America - and by all passages - both written and implied - about patriotism...that BSA would mandate that all uniforms,. acessories to the uniforms and all written materials ...be manufactured or created in the US.

Granted, seeing as scouting is a worldwide thing.. I would expect British scout's uniforms to be made in the UK. Indonesian scout's uniforms made there, Jamacain scout's uniforms be made in Jamaca, etc...

I mean, all the talk of patriotism, respect for the flag, citizenship and loyalty just goes out the window ( with BSA leading by example) if any "Official" scout gear is made elsewhere!

Note that this thread had been sleeping for a year and a half before Cyed's post. Then note that his post simply restates the subject, tacks on a few words of praise and a URL. This is just a spammer who is gaming Google's search engines by having as many links to their site as possible to make their search show up higher in the listings.

I searched for that company name and found that they have been doing that quite a bit. My favorite is this one; read the last comment. http://www.qbn.com/topics/570998/

I suggest a moderator delete the post, or at least edit out the URL so we aren't helping these goons. Their business ethics are clearly Made in China.(This message has been edited by silasm)