BSA Uniform Shirt "Made in China"?

Gee Whiz Eamonn, Kathie Lee hasnt been on day time TV for a very long time, some chick named Kelly Rippa replaced her back in 2001.

Frank Gifford has some sports past I think. People around Bethlehem talk about a guy who grew up here, had the nickname "Concrete Charlie" Bednarik. Talk is he laid Frank out in a game in 1963 and frank didnt wake up until he realized he was doing play by play with Howard Cosell.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that I am willing to pay a premium for a quality shirt made in the United States but the scout shirts are way overpriced for a comparable shirt. Then they start making them in China. Where does the extra thirty or so dollars go? These shirts wouldn't be more than ten bucks at the Walmart.

Any amount BSA saves by using a less expensive source helps to offset cost increases elsewhere. If the cost savings were reflected in the sale price, some other price increase might be necessary, or a service cutback . Possiblities might be an increase in the annual registration fee, or Boys' Life subscription rate, or fewer pages in Scouter magazine, or eliminating retail the retail Scout Shops, or ???

reducing National executive and legal staff or compensation, cutback paper and paperwork (imagine if we adult leaders filled out that multi-sheet adult leader application ONCE to National instead of filling out a new application whenever we change or add a leadership position or change units or councils),...

I will pay a premium to buy an American made product. I will not buy an American flag or a "Boy Scouts Of America" shirt or handbook not manufactured by Americans. According to my local Scout Shop, scout office and rank patches are no longer American made - great.

Any amount BSA saves by using a less expensive source helps to offset cost increases elsewhere. If the cost savings were reflected in the sale price, some other price increase might be necessary, or a service cutback . Possiblities might be an increase in the annual registration fee, or Boys' Life subscription rate, or fewer pages in Scouter magazine, or eliminating retail the retail Scout Shops, or ???

What increased costs elsewhere? Sure gas is skyrocketing but the high priced uniform was high priced when gas wasn't so that argument doesn't hold water.

Does anyone know if the Supply Division is part of the non-profit?

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

"Does anyone know if the Supply Division is part of the non-profit?"

I'm sorry Ed I really don't know.

For a number of years I did work for a large health system (Got your home town in it's name!!)

The system is a non-profit organization. In fact there has been a lot of talk in the "Burgh" about them not paying taxes.

The division I worked for was supposed to be for profit.

Every year we failed to make a profit.

Part of the reason was that a lot of the people who made the really big bucks were being paid by this part of the system.

So we never really stood a chance of showing a profit.

While I don't know how the BSA is set up?

I'm thinking that under the heading of the BSA there are several divisions that are supposed to be for profit.

While me paying the $10.00 registration fee is no great hardship. When I look at the 2006 membership report that shows 3,998,914 at ten bucks a head. I do at times wonder where the money goes?

Add to that the income from Boy's Life, book sales, uniforms and so on. It really isn't chump change!

It seems to me that very little of this income works its way back to the local Councils.

Eamonn.

• 2 months later...

When I used to teach the American Labor Merit Badge to our Scouts, I could tell them to reach in their right shirt pocket and find the union label as an example of buying American. What ever happened to LEADERSHIP BY EXAMPLE? Does the BSA support sweat shops and child labor now?

I agree that the "make everything in China" rush is an experiment that hurts America.

Why care? Because we still have to take care of our people.

Like many, I have found cheap Chinese goods to frequently be of poor quality. I recently purchased a cheap bamboo fishing kit for $5, and it hardly held together. . . I would have been willing to pay an extra $4 for something that actually worked.

I've observed that Chinese made goods run the gamut from cheap to excellent. Apparently, they made the products to exactly the specifications that the buyer requests. So you should have spent the extra money and gotten a GOOD Chinese fishing pole.

The capitalist running dogs are bent on destroying the working class. They don't care what happens as long as they get their money.

A friend was chatting with the president of his company, a Fortune 100 corporation, and asked the question, "What is going to happen to all of the kids who can't or don't want to got to college?" The answer was, "I don't care, my kids are taken care of."

The sad solution is that there aren't many options. Try to find an American made consumer electronic device. How about a bicycle? Computer?

Just got back from the local Harbor Freight store.

All cheap Chinese made tools for super discount prices.

I rebuild classic German cars for a hobby and needed a couple of weird tools to do some weird stuff. I didn't want to spend big bucks a Sears or Snap-on for quality stuff, just needed a tool to do a specific task once or twice.

I needed to remove a stubborn axle 36mm nut from a 68 beetle and broke my 1/2 drive breaker bar putting about 500ft/lbs of torque on it. So I needed a 3/4 inch drive one. Harbor had it for $13. Sears probably wanted $75.

I chose the cheap Chinese stuff at harbor. About 30% the cost of the quality stuff, and might break the second time I use it, but if it lasts longer, all the better for me. For tools I want to last for my lifetime because I use them regularly, I'll spend the extra coin and get Craftsman or Snap-on.