BSA Uniform Shirt "Made in China"?

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, so if this has been covered, I apologize.

I did do a few searches, and came up with very little. I've been serving as a den leader in my son's Cub Scout Pack for the last four and a half years, and my son just earned his Arrow of Light and crossed over into Boy Scouts. The program has been wonderful for both of us, and we're really looking forward to the new adventure.

We decided to buy him a completely new uniform as a gift for earning his Arrow of Light, but I was taken aback when I went to get a new uniform shirt and saw a "Made in China" tag staring back at me. We bought it anyway, despite my disappointment. At least the shorts and socks were still made here in the USA. Of course, when we got home, I looked at his two-year old tan shirt (a bit pilled from use and washing) and noted that it was made in the USA. I checked my five-year old uniform shirt (not quite as pilled because I don't seem to get as dirty as the boys) and it, too, was made in the USA.

So does anyone know exactly when this change occurred? I'm assuming sometime in the last two years. I'm sure economic factors came into play here, and good on the BSA for being thrifty. But what about being loyal and duty to our country? I noticed that despite the manufacturing location change, the price of the new shirt was not any lower, so any savings were clearly not passed on to us.

I don't mind paying a premium for official scout uniform items, and I think that supporting the BSA is important. But something about this is just sticking in my craw, and the complete lack of any explanation anywhere is bothering me quite a bit.

This is probably a result of my new 10 year old Boy Scout spying the tag and saying "Made in China? What's up with that?"

So, in his words..."What's up with that?"

Andre

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree "What's up with that?"

I too am disapointed. not only the shirts all uniforms will be outsourced to China as all the patches are now. The savings will never be felt in the Volunteers pockets. One of many complaints that are piling up in my brain.

Think Gloabaly buy locally!

The "lower cost" thing has long been a ruse in the manufacturing world. Sure, it is lower cost for the manufacturer but they rarely pass that lower cost on to the consumer unless they are attempting to penetrate a specific market.

Case in point. Masterlock Combo locks are made in the US and China. on hooks at the store are two locks, one silver and one that is colored to appeal to kids. Otherwise they are identical locks. The silver one is $2.99. The colored one is $3.20. One would expect to pay a small premium for the more attractive lock. Right? Now look at the packages. The more expensive one comes from China. If they can make a profit selling an American made lock for $2.99, how much more profit are they making on the Chinese made one for $3.20?

We used to be told that one of the reasons for the high prices of BSA uniforms was that they are made in the USA by union workers. I guess that was another corporate lie.

As for the question "when?" I believe that it was within the last year because last summer I was checking out shirts at my local Scout shop and they were made in the Good Ol' US of A.

It is a recent change - perhaps the last couple years. For many years people have complained about the cost of BSA merchandise. So, BSA bows to pressure, tries to find lower cost suppliers and we get pocket totems with lead paint, and people complaining about overseas manufacture! Guess "you can't please 'em all" is true in many ways.

Another thing to keep in mind - much American textile manufacturing has shut down, and been shifted overseas. It may be difficult for BSA to find a U.S. supplier who can meet the necessary contract requirements, either in terms of cost or quantity or timely delivery. The plants that are left may not have the capacity to manufacture enough to meet our demand at a price National Supply is willing to pay. They may have had no option, but to use an overseas supplier.

I have always viewed Scouting as a global movement, not just a BSA program. Who's to say that some of those Chinese shirts weren't made by former Scouts? Would that make a difference? It's getting to the point where one doesn't know the players anymore. Who'da thunk that a Toyota would be American made? and my Ford truck was Canadian? The world has changed. If one must have American made only, they're going to do a lot of walking. (Be careful where one buys the hiking boots though, you may end up walking barefoot.)

:^) Stosh

I have had this conversation many times. The American consumer is too blame. You are standing at the auto parts counter needing brakes. You are given a choice American made pads and rotors or the 1/3 the price chinese version. A moral dilemma for sure.

Another question is there a Boy Scout program in China?

" You are given a choice American made pads and rotors or the 1/3 the price chinese version."

I won't buy Chinese made brakes or tires. For oil filters I don't have options.

"Another question is there a Boy Scout program in China? "

Nope. There was one in Hong Kong and Taiwan has one.

Thanks for the discussion. But still, it can't be that we complained about the high cost, because the cost is still right where it was. I guess you could make the argument that prices would have gone up if the manufacturing hadn't moved, though. I have to believe that the profit margin has gone up. Perhaps this is one way to make up the shortfall of reduced membership in BSA?

I guess my big problem with it is the lack of info. It's like this was done in stealth mode - like someone did it and just hoped no one would care enough to say anything. No explanation from BSA at all. I went through the press releases, the reports on the scouting.org web site, and nothing. If it had to be done because there was insufficient manufacturing capacity, or because they were losing money on the uniforms, or some other reason, then there is no shame in what was done...so why not just say so?

Andre

Like many organizations, BSA prefers to operate by keeping members in the dark. Fees raised? You have to know someone on the inside to know why. Someone removed from office? Same thing.

Over the years, I've observed that the people at the top of many organizations treat the membership as a necessary evil. They need us to have a position of power but they really don't like us or trust us.

I got my shirt in late October 2007 and it is "Made in USA". This does give us a chance to think about what is happening. I don't have any answers. It would be nice to get some sort of answer from National about the rational on the change. I would pay a premium for "Made in USA".

Interesting. When I was a scout (early 80s) the OA chapter sponsored an activity for the cubs in the district. We were told in no uncertain terms that the council had to arrange the production of patches. The reason given: they wanted to ensure that the patches were American made!

I guess that approach has changed. The last time I went to the scout shop, every patch I picked up had a "made in China" sticker on it.

The only way to get action is to refuse to buy. When you go into the Scout Shop and see "Made in China", put it back on the shelf. Tell your SE, "when you get some made in the USA, give me a call." And then put your old uniform back on or go without. So how many are willing to do that, hmmmmm?

I've had my uniform shirt and pants now for 15 years. A few patches, re-sews along the way, but still in pretty good shape. I figure when I need a new one, I'll just get a USA made one off of E-Bay. In another 15 years, I'm going to be too old to worry too much about it anymore.

Stosh