Quality Unit 2007 arm patches

I have seen 2 different kinds of patches out there... which one is which? Which one do you have?

Here's one - http://www.greattrailsbsa.org/images/cqua%202007.jpg

here's another - http://www.geocities.com/clayt1963/QualityUnit2007.gif

Looking at these, after all the extra monkey business all our units went through to figure out whether or not we earned quality unit, please tell me that second patch is not all our efforts are worth?

I am talking about all the darn record-keeping and math involved trying to figure out whether or not a unit actually earned quality unit! That made my brain spin as math is not my friend! BSA Made the "new" award sound so innovative, new and special. It doesn't look any darn different to me except for the color black on the ONE PATCH - But regardless, which one of those patches is the right one? Or has the BSA lost so much continuity that we now have to have TWO quality unit patches to offer units a choice in their BSA arm fashion???

And no, I don't do anything just for a frickin patch, sheesh. I've been a scout leader for over a decade and don't have knots and stars plastered on my uniform. For me it's not high on the list of priorities when the boys are what's important.(This message has been edited by Joni4TA)

I would take a look at what it is that you earned. One is centenial Unit award and one is quality unit. I would have to look for the difference, but talk to your council and they can probably tell you the difference.

On http://www.scouting.org/awards/centennialawards/faq.aspx it mentions the black patch is for units rechartering in December 2006. (FAQ #15 which doesn't make much sense to me)

There's yet another quality unit patch for 2007 100% Boys Life - http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01RTL&item=18023 - this is the one our troop has received.

The Centennial Unit Award was for those units that filled and met all their goals in each area of emphasis on their Centennial Unit Award commitment sheet. The Quality Unit Award was for units that met the goals for a Quality Unit. The Centennial Unit Award is also for the physical year, not from rechartering date (unless they happen to coincide with the physical year). I am under the impression that the Centennial Unit Award will be the only one offered next year.

If you review your copy of the Centennial Unit Award commitment sheet, you can calculate if you have met the criteria for it. The Districts already have the ribbons from their Councils for units that qualified.

Units who rechartered prior to October 31st, 2007 ( I believe for most it would be December 2006) and made their goals wear the old style black QU2007 patch. (recharter based annual year)

Under the new Centenial Program, Units who achieve their Centenial goals (the new QU program) no earlier than October 31st and no later than December 31st, 2007 qualify for the new style red CQU2007 patch. (calendar based annual year)

It is my understanding that the new Centenial Quality Unit Program will permanantly replace the onld Quality Unit program and a unit will earn it for the year that it actually completed the goals. ie. 2007 goals by the end of 2007= 2007 CQU patch. Old system (2006 goals by the end of 2005 recharter period=2006 patch.(This message has been edited by Pack212Scouter)

"Not sure if it is going to replace the Quality Unit Award, as it appears to be for use through 2010."

It replaces it for the centennial period thru 2010. We'll see then what will be the next version of such awards, post-2010. We used to call them honor units before quality units.

Joni,

You'll want the red Centennial Quality Unit Award patch. Not the black Quality Unit patch.

The Centennial Quality Unit program has replaced the Quality Unit program and the black 2007 Quality Unit patch was for units that received Quality Unit at the end of 2006 when the recharted for 2007.

If your unit is a 100% Boys Life unit, then there is a special red 2007 CQU 100% Boys Life patch to use instead.

SWScouter

Let's be honest, the quality unit patch doesn't mean a whole lot. ANY unit can get it as it is given for what was done the past year OR what you plan to do for the coming year! So every unit qualifies!

Quality Unit does indeed mean something. It means that the unit is setting and reaching goals to maintain a quality program for the boys. Should every unit be able to achieve it, yes. That is the point. It is a BSA program to set and reach goals for unit performance, not an award for outstanding excellence.

As for how it is received, a unit does NOT receive it for what it plans to do in the next year. A unit receives it when in Nov-Dec they have achieved their set goals for the current year, or have developed a plan with their District to achieve them by the end of the year.