OA Pocket Flap

Hello All,

I am dual registered with my troop in one council and as a member of a District committee in another council. I am also a member of the OA registered with the lodge in my troops council.

My question is what are my options for wearing a pocket flap on my District Committee uniform? Can I just wear the flap from my troops council or do I need to register with the lodge in the committee's council?

It doesn't seem like a big deal to me but I like to wear a correct uniform. Thanks!

On one of my shirts I wear the OA flap of my youth lodge, now 30+ years merged away.

You're allowed to be a member of ONE OA lodge. Wear the flap.

Another option: In my youth, we were only allowed one pocket flap (this was the early 70s). We were allowed one neckerchief patch in a lifetime. I wore my OA Universal Arrow pin, and no flap at all.

Someone since discovered lodge flaps can be a moneymaker.

As John says, you can only be a member of one Lodge.

You would wear the Lodge flap of the Lodge you are registered in, and yes, you can wear that Lodge Flap on your District Committee shirt even if that District isn't within the Council that your Lodge is in.

The Lodge Flap indicates active membership in a Lodge (and active means....dues paying).

John presents a good option should you desire not to offend folks in the other District (and gosh knows who might be offended by it), and that's to wear the Universal Arrow. As far as I know, that device can also be worn if you completed the Ordeal and let your OA membership lapse. Vigil Honor members may attach a special pin to the ribbon to indicate the honor received.

Calico

Hi,

While you might hold positions in more than one Council, you should only have one primary registration. If you have more than one? Something isn't as it should be!!

The easy way of knowing where your primary registration is? Would be the Council that receives your annual registration fee!! (You should only pay one fee.)

In the Ship we have adults who are leaders in one Council, but are Committee Members with the Ship. They pays their money to the other Council and are listed as multiples with us.

While I'm sure given the chance they would love to join our Lodge, sadly they are first and foremost members of that other Council and should belong to that Lodge.

They could of course make the Ship their primary spot and enjoy the benefits of belonging to Wagion Lodge #6 and wear the Thunderbird Patch!! But some people never learn!! (Just Joking!!)

Ea.

I'm involved with 2 councils. To my knowledge, you have to pay in both councils. The concept of dual-registered only works within a council.

I'm registered with ONE lodge, so I wear the lodge flap on my uniforms regardless of council. I've had a couple of people in the 'other council' question me about why I wear a flap of another lodge. I explain why. What I find interesting is I've never been asked to be involved with that council's lodge (even tho I know many arrowmen in it).

"I'm involved with 2 councils. To my knowledge, you have to pay in both councils. The concept of dual-registered only works within a council."

I'm registered with two councils. My second council insisted that I pay the $10 again. Being cheap, I called Texas and asked. They said that you only pay once. I called the second council, talked to someone different and they said, "no, you only pay once" and sent me a refund.

I'm registered with the lodge in my first council. I do get grief about my "foreign" OA flap.

BTW, I do have shirts for both councils.

I'm going to throw something else out here. What CSP do you where on the District Committee shirt? I assume the one for the Council the district is in. It seems to me then that you should also where the pocket flap for that council's lodge, and then, only if you are registered with that lodge. If you are not a member of that lodge (not even considering dual membership issues; would anyone really care?) then you shouldn't wear the flap.

SWScouter

Of course, you wear the CSP for the council that the district is in.

You wear the OA flap for the lodge that holds your membership. If you're like me and registered in two councils, you're only a member of one lodge you wear the same OA flap with either CSP. In my case, four shirts, two CSPs but only one flap.

I'm like GW. Several shirts, some with one CSP, some with the other. For years I've used velcro for my OA flaps (I use a wide strip). This makes the changing of OA flaps easy (most of the lodges in my area change their flaps every couple of years, and prefer that members wear the CURRENT flap. So, new flap, add velcro to that ONE flap, and I'm good for all my shirts. Simple!)

Depending on which council I'm doing stuff with/for, I wear that shirt with my flap.