The Class B Neckerchief

Pappy, I ahead of you, kinda.

I wear a campaign hat and I had to buy a couple to get one that fit right. One of them is an old (1940s?), well worn BSA Official manufactured by Sigmund Eisner. I showed it to my Webelos II son who asked if he could wear it. The fit was good and he took right to it, so much so that I have to remind him to take it off inside. His future Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster have seen him and they have said that they have no problem with him wearing it if he wants.

Our Pack and the Troop share the same Charter Organization so I figure between my son in the Troop and myself in the Pack were looking to start a campaign hat trend. Maybe one for the future Tiger? well see.

Of course my wife thinks we look like a couple of geeks. Actually, its my son looks cute and I look like a geek!

Your wife is wrong. It is cool. But so is TR and the rough riders.

I was thinking about investigating a wider brimmed hat for myself The ones from ARMYBARRACKS.COM have the smaller brim. But they are pretty good at 30 bucks.

I have one kid in my troop, a Philipino boy- who is a dead wringer for the Asian kid in Follow Me Boys. His hat even bends the same way as his. I am of the Follow me Boys school of thought about the proper care and maintenance of the campaign hat - Don't- the bends and folds reflect the personality of the scout just fine! My District exec told me I ought to have the boys make brim straighteners- Pish Posh - we're morally straight- but we're bent in the head!

Pappy(This message has been edited by Pappy)

If you want to deliver the Cub Scout and Boy Scout program of the BSA you should keep a few things in mind.

1) Cubs have defined uniforms. For their activity uniform, you may have custom shirts. Also, it is understood that a uniform (any uniform) is not always appropriate for all activities (i.e. swimming).

2) Boy Scouts have defined uniform requirements. On option troops have is to define their hat and neckerchief (or none). However, once the unit makes a decision, it should be uniform.

3) If you want to make up your own rules about uniforming, go ahead. Just don't advertise your program as the BSA program.

The activity uniform usage is primarily in the Boy Scout literature. Here's a note on what the Cub Scouting pages call a "Special-Purpose" uniform. Emphasis added by me.

From:http://www.scouting.org/CubScouts/Uniform/special.aspx

Special-Purpose Uniforms

While the official uniform should be worn to all den and pack meetings and formal events, the den or pack may designate a special-purpose uniform, such as the Cub Scout Activity Shirt (shown here) to be worn in place of the official uniform shirt for certain activities, such as sporting events or day camp.

****Except as noted above, the pack does not have the authority to make changes to the uniform, and should encourage proper uniform use by all members.**** Specifically:

No alteration of or addition to the official uniform, badges, or insigniaor the rules and regulations concerning the wearing of the uniformis permitted.

Uniform parts should not be worn with other clothing.

Badges and other insignia should be worn only on the uniform (with the exception of a red patch vest that may be used to display temporary insignia) and only as directed by the Insignia Guide, BSA Supply No. 33066

The local council service center can provide unit leadership with guidance in any instance where the appropriate use of the uniform is uncertain.

Hello acco40, long time no argue,

You wrote--

"3) If you want to make up your own rules about uniforming, go ahead. Just don't advertise your program as the BSA program."

Says who? What about the troops and packs who are pretty cavalier about not abiding by the uniform rules? SHould they tell people that they are not a BSA program? JEans wearing scout leaders are not to advertise that they are affiliated with BSA? Untucked shirts with no neckers or belts or hats - Not BSA?

We let everyone know that we ARE an idiosycratic BSA unit. All the parents know that Cub Scouts at other COs (might) wear blue and yellow or orange.

My scout's parents like the uniform. In fact- we get lots of positive feedback and lots of parents coming to us at parades asking us bout our unit. (It pays to teach your scouts to march in straight lines, keep a poker face, not run after candy, and wear their complete unform in parades).

The only people who gotta problem with us are the scouters who can't get their packs and troops to show up to a parade (let alone a meeting) in uniform. They get lots of them to show up in half uniforms to video game lock ins though- hugh- go figure.

SO yes- I say we are BSA- sue me.

And my kids don't go to the video game lockins- and they ARE also BSA sanctioned and run. IT's a pick and choose world Acco40.

I choose the BSA that suits me and my boys.

Pappy

(This message has been edited by Pappy)

Thank you Infoscouter for the reference and link. Apparently I didnt look hard enough.

The guidance says (** mine): the den or pack may designate a special-purpose uniform, **such as** the Cub Scout Activity Shirt (shown here) to be worn in place of the official uniform shirt for certain activities, such as sporting events or day camp. The such as seems to indicate to me that the den or pack has some latitude in what they designate as an activity uniform.

As for the the pack does not have the authority to make changes to the uniform, and should encourage proper uniform use by all members, this obviously refers to the official uniform and I had proposed no such changes here. I have seen that we would not be able to use the proposed activity neckerchiefs with the official uniform and that is not an issue.

Thanks again everyone

YIS

Mike