What do you think would be the ideal Outdoor Scout Uniform?

This seems to be a subject that comes up a lot. Why must a scout unit only be uniformed during indoor meetings and such, but when they actually do scouting adventures they so often all go individualistic with the clothes.

I actually came close to driving over to the local Carhardt factory here in my home town and asking them about designing a Boy Scout utility outfit.

I personally like airman and aviator flight suits. They have lots of zippers and places for patches- they have something old and military about them- and new and space-age as well.

Military BDUs are of course designed for the kind of use that scouts do. But I am not trying to suggest that the uniform must look totally Rambo either. Just tough, sensible, relatively inexpensive, and cool.

For a cover- I think the Military booney cap is an excellent hat, and I notice scouts are already using them (see latest issue of Boys Life- the canoe trip is pretty military looking).

I think BSA ought to offer a class B outdoor utility uniform. I think it would be really cool.

But I would love to hear form you all on this subject.

Do you believe as I, that there is a uniform deficit when it comes to outdoor uniforms?

And no, I do not think that switchbacks are the answer. They are part of class As in my opinion. I want to know if we can think of a scout uniform that can handle falls, slides down embankments, burns, that is good in heat and cold, and can generally serve a scout well in the field.

Pappy

(This message has been edited by Pappy)

Our troop uses khaki ripstop BDU trousers for the kids along with khaki ripstop shirts.

I'm currently working with a manufacturer on a khaki windproof smock for the kids which can be upgraded with a gore-tex shell or fleece jacket underneath.

Untill that's finished, everybody uses what he has.

The scouts use the Smokey the Bear hats, Wolf Cubs and Beavers wear khaki ball caps.

I estimate that the troop will be fully and completely uniformed this summer. After all, it's a financial issue for the parents.

The SM and ASM wear the same clothes, only in ripstop coyote.

best regards,

Volker

Hmmm... And what's wrong with the official scout uniform for outdoor activities? I've always worn mine. It wears like iron, cleans up quickly and after 15 years I've had to resew a sleeve cuff that came undone and patched my pants on a cargo pocket. Other than that they look a little worn/faded but still look like scout pants.

Half way through summer camp, the boys' shirts did look a little dingy so we stopped by a laundromat and tossed in all the boys' shirts. Came out looking nice, neat and ready to go. The patches for patrols, rank, size and POR made it a snap to identify each boy's shirt.

I've never felt the need to substitute anything for the official uniform and still feel I'm dressed as a Scout.

Used shirts are cheap on E-Bay and if one needs a "work/activity" uniform they can get a second shirt, put the minimum patches on it and you're ready to go.

So to answer your question, the Official Scout Uniform is the ideal outdoor scout uniform.

Stosh

Nothing's wrong with wearing the official uniform if your organisation has one.

We are an independent scout troop so what I described is our official uniform.

But I agree that the official uniform is the only uniform to wear and so it should be practical in the boonies.

best regards,

Volker

Stosh,

What you describe is how we currently do it as well. Perhaps I am too sensitive to the grumblings of my scout parents- who complain when the nice and expeinsive uniform gets all beat up on camp outs.

I have seen a scout with a brand new uniform not five minutes into a five mile hike take a spill and rip the crap out of his pants. His mom was fit to be tied. (THough she was already fit to be tied in general).

I just can imagine a better uniform for rugged outdoor behavior than the current uniform- which seems a little light weight and dressy.

Pappy

When I hiked Double H and Philmont I wore completely different clothes than when I hiked the Rocky Mountains. When I canoe the boundary Waters I wear completely different clothes then when I am hiking. How can one uniform do all of this?

We had 2 scout wear the new scout pants when hiking the Rockies, I thought they where not heavy enough material for warmth or durability, but they did hold up okay.

I'm with Dan.

There is no such thing as the ideal uniform.

Different troops participate in different activities and some do more outdoor "Stuff" than others.

I kinda think if you were to look at the programs offered by say 15 -20 Troops, you would find that the amount of time spent doing activities that require a special uniform is not that great.

I'm not and never have been more than the average type Scout.

While I do seem to spent a lot of time in outdoor type stores buying the latest and newest equipment, at a normal everyday Boy Scout camp I'm happy with a t-shirt, pair of shorts and a decent pair of boots or shoes.

I did invest in a good quality gore-tex rain suit.

I have over the past year started wearing Cool-Max t-shirts. I like them a lot, but even buying them with a discount they cost about five times more than a normal everyday t-shirt. So for camp I'd be fine with the everyday cheap shirt that most camps sell with the name of the camp on it.

I don't like hats or caps, but depending on the weather do wear one.

I have a couple of campaign hats left over from my Wood Badge days. They are about useless, having to put a rain cover on a hat? Just seems silly to me. They require far more care and attention than a hat should ever need.

When we were at Philmont OJ wanted the Philmont shorts, so I bought him a couple of pair, he grew out of them and I got his hand me downs. They are nice shorts, but to be honest for what I do the everyday Boy Scout shorts do just as well.

I'm not really sure what the ideal anything is?

I have been thinking about buying a new car.

There are a lot of different cars out there.

Before I buy one I need to put my emotions to one side and look at what I'm really going to use it for? How much I'm willing to spend? How much is it going to cost to run and maintain?

A 15 seater van would be nice for the Ship, but am I willing to drive a 15 seater van to work and back everyday? A Hummer would be great for off-roading, but I don't go off-roading!! A Smart-Car looks like fun and is cheap, but is very small.

Before we say something is "Ideal" we need to look at what we are going to use it for and how often it is going to be used.

It seems to me that a lot of Scouts in our area seem to think that a pair of blue jeans and a Scout shirt is ideal for just about everything!!

Eamonn.

Here we go again. Dress uniform and field uniform. The miliary has two uniforms because the needs for each function are completely different. BSA has one uniform. It has to function as both a dress uniform and a field uniform. As such, it will have its failings when compared to dedicated uniforms. People already whin about the cost of a single uniform. The outcrys to have to pay for two uniforms would never end. And of course, people would incorretly mix and match between the two uniforms and we could have endless discussions about which of the various compontents of the two different uniforms is it OK to mix and match while knowing all along that it is not OK to mix and match. But for "discussion sake" which would be OK to mix and match. Arrgh.

We are a fully uniformed troop. The scouts wear the full uniform on the trip to the field. While in the field we require they wear the full uniform (correctly) during flag ceremonies and Scouts Own service. We hike, camp, and do outdoor activities. The scouts usually wear the switchback pants and a troop T-shirt or other scout oriented T-shirt in the field.

My son is not one to worry about his personal appearance or how well his clothing will endure the rigors through which he will place it. He has a shiny spot on one knee from sliding. He has a few pills on the switchbacks from constant rubbing. He typically takes off his uniform shirt and wears the same pants from Friday afternoon until pickup on Sunday. Rain, cold, heat, hiking, cooking, horsing around. Same pants. He OWNs two pair and PACKS two pair but does not change during the weekend.

At the end of the weekend, we wash them, press them and he wears them Tuesday evening to the meeting. No problems.

I personally think the switchback pants are too informal for a dress uniform. But I wear them pressed and try to make them look their best.

The uniform shirt is satisfactory for a dress uniform and not bad for a field uniform. The button placket on the front is not reinforced like most shirts so is a sloopy design but functions. The eplets on the shoulders can be bother some when using shoulder straps on a pack but are a nice formal touch. Better for dress, not the greatest for field.

Should there be a seperate uniform for dress and field? It would allow each to be better designed for a specific use but I believe it would create more problems than it would solve. Parents would only purchase one uniform or only parts of both. Most boys would not have a full and correct uniform.

Should the existing uniform move more towards a field uniform or more towards a dress uniform? I think it currently strikes a good balance. The shirt is more of a dress uniform and allows the pants to be more casual. Both work adequately for the other function.

Should your troop adopt a standard outfit for field use? Sure you can but it is not the BSA uniform and could not be worn during other scouting events. See earlier comments about mix and match, missing parts, purchase price of mulitple uniforms, etc.

"hey are about useless, having to put a rain cover on a hat? Just seems silly to me. They require far more care and attention than a hat should ever need."

Why would you ever put a rain cover on your campaign hat? If you're worried about it getting wet, just spray it with scotch guard. Otherwise, the wet is what gives it character.

In the good old days, the Scout uniform was tough enough to take what you could throw at it. It was built like work clothes. Heavy cotton that could take thorns and abrasion and come up laughing.

Now we have that lightweight stuff that will disintegrate if you are clearing any brush.

Everyone is yelling for Nylon. Nylon, nylon, nylon! Why? BDUs are still mostly cotton.

It shouldn't be that difficult to come up with a uniform that is durable enough to be worn for arduous work but is still comfortable.

If I may delve into this..

Scouts should have a Dress Uniform (very similar to the current one, but in a poly/cotton blend, as it looks nicer - remember, a Scout it CLEAN. Also I would include a t-shirt to be worn under the dress shirt).

But I also believe that a Scout should have a uniform suited for the outdoors (wicking, fast drying, etc). This would include pants very similar to the current break-away pants that are becoming popular, as well as a Troop t-shirt of the wicking type, and maybe an over jacket of the BDU-type (with bellows pockets). This jacket would also have the Council and troop numbers.

Granted, I am of a military mindset, and I know that the Scouts is NOT a military organization, but I think that the above listed uniform would suit the needs of the Scouts well when they are enjoying the outings they often enjoy.

GW, the Cotton BDU's ARE as tough as nails, it's true. But they are also a royal wonder at holding perspiration in. And when worn loosely, as intended, in many but not all climates provide a micro climate around the wearer that is better than what is outside.

But for high sweat factor activities, they blow for multi-day wear. They absorb and hold the sweat, they do NOT dry quickly, they necessitate carrying extra sets (so you can cycle through into at least dry if not clean sets)or understanding that you WILL be rotten/nasty and uncomfortable after as few days as the first day.

If hiking/backpacking in warmer climates they tend to induce crotch rot and chaffing due to the lack of evaporation.

I love my Switchbacks, but think they could be a little more durable - however mine aren't showing any worse wear at the moment than a set of BDU's would if exposed to the same set of circumstances.

I would like to see a BSA Activity shirt that had some wicking characteristics, until then we are wearing some form of wicking shirt under a Troop t-shirt when hiking or doing high-sweat factor activities.