Cub Leader training patch question

FScouter is correct. There are many people (including some SE) that think the SE can approve a wide range of uniform/patch varience. Not so. There are in several council locally produced square knots for various local purposes (local awards, etc). This was 'allowed' because the local SE had 'approved' it. The National Committee for uniforming said NO, and there was an article in ProSpeak (the newsletter for professional scouters) that basically said NO local square knots are allowed.

In one council I'm in, there are a lot of people who wear the Good Turn for America patch above the right pocket (were Jamboree emblems go). I bet this is because the SE 'approved' it, which, again, is wrong.

"If the SE only has authority to authorize a temporary patch, then where does the authority to authorize alternative CSPs and JSPs come from?"

SE can approve more then just temporary patches.

They approve CSPs and JSPs.

They approve Ship and Crew patches (which must be within a certain size and not include certain things because these will be worn on the uniform on the right sleeve).

Actually not.

The Scout Executive can only approve the making of special patches CONTINGENT on the design being approved by the BSA trademark enforcement office of the BSA Supply Division. No uniform patch can be made except by an authorized vendor with the approved usage of BSA licensed trademarks. This includes temporary activity patches, CSPs, JSPs etc.

BW is correct.

Some of the incorrect things I've seen that have been "approved by the SE" has been nonsense such as:

* allowing Venture Patrols to wear the green Venturing shirt

* allowing an OA Lodge contingent to NOAC wear the gray Venturing shorts

* local knots

* allowing the wearing of the Good Turn for America patch where the Jamboree patch goes.

* allowing for non-Jamboree patches where the Jamboree patch goes.

* allowing district patches to be made and worn on the left sleeve.

* approving incorrect Ship/Crew patches. (a patch saying "Venture Crew 123" would be incorrect)

I was trying to find the correct placement of the name tag on my C.S. Leader's uniform, and looked up the Scout Leader uniform inspection sheet on the BSA website. I was surprised to read "Cub Scout leaders and female leaders wearing the traditional uniform shirt or blouse may wear one temporary insignia centered above the Boy Scouts of America strip."

Is this a new guideline? I thought it was supposed to be centered on the right pocket?

There is an Old, old, Cub Scout (female) leader blouse that has no right pocket. The guidance about wearing temporary patches *above* the BSA strip applies only to those blouses, not to the current design which has a blouse.

See:

http://users.aol.com/coffeeweb/LO/graphics/denmom.jpg

Notice the lack of a right pocket, and the temporary insignia displayed above the "Cub Scouts, BSA" strip.

Aaah, traditional vs official uniform blouse. It wasn't mentioned as such earlier in the document, just as yellow official blouse, but now I do recall reading it elsewhere as the traditional blouse. Why not go with yellow or blue?! Much easier to understand and probably would have caused me less panic thinking I've been wearing my temp patch wrong all this time. :)