Cub Leader training patch question

I'm putting together my first Scouter uniform now that I have volunteered as Asst. Den Leader. I have earned patches for Risk Zone training and Youth Protection training and will attend BALOO next month.

I thought I knew where these items go because my Pack leaders all seem to have them in the same place. But I just attended New Leader Essentials and Leader Specific training with Scouters from across our Council and I've seen several different locations for these patches. I purchased a copy of the BSA Insignia Guide (I have always had my own copy of Army Regulation 670-1, so the Insignia Guide is one of the first BSA pubs I acquired...). There is no mention of these items.

Is there a definitive policy for these training badges?

Thanks...(This message has been edited by davlafont)

I am unaware of any national patch of those three topics although it is possible they exist, most likely they are locally produced patches and not a national ones which is why you are not finding them in the Insignia Guide. In any case they would be treated as a temporary patch and worn centered on the right shirt pocket.

Added to the previous comment, if you can't find a specific place for a patch, the right pocket is a good catch all. Of course, you can only wear one patch there, so you have to decide what you wear there. This is why some people use patch holder to be able to easily switch out patches there.

Frankly I am not aware of any national patches for Risk Zone or YPT, and these aren't training in which its critical that you wear an indication that you've done them.

Thanks folks. I suppose these are Council-created. The Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO) patch is about 2" x 3" and is multi-colored with the Baloo Bear and block lettering. My Pack leaders wear it on the right pocket. The other two are simple 1" x 3" tan strips with Black borders, worn stacked beneath the right pocket.

I will ask around in my council about the authority for these (tactfully).

The local council may have authority to create a BALOO or some other patch, and to award such a patch. But there is no authority to actually wear such a patch anywhere on the uniform except on the right pocket. Patch placement is determined by the national council and is described in the Insignia Guide.

Strange how despite the admonition to keep a Scouter's uniform simple and uncluttered, people and BSA keep adding patches to the uniform.

For example, why do we need a "Trained" patch? Your CC should know if you are trained and there's no need to broadcast it to the rest of the world.

I like the "I was there" patches because they are converstaion starters, epsecially at functions outside of your unit.

I don't care for the common custom of wearing a billboard to advertise your son's advancement record. Wear that on your civvies.

"For example, why do we need a "Trained" patch? Your CC should know if you are trained and there's no need to broadcast it to the rest of the world."

Its nice to show other scouters we work with that we have completed training. There has been a "trained" patch since probably the 60s/70s. There was a period of time where certain adults leader patches where done in solid mylar threads to show trained leaders.

Davlafont...

To answer your question,

Most of the patches you describe are called by BSA "temporary patches." They're to be worn on the right shirt pocket body.

As a Program person (den leader), when you have completed:

- New Leader Essentials.

- Den Leader Position specific

then you will be entitled to wear the "Trained" strip on your left sleeve.

http://www.scouting.org/media/insigniaguide/05F.aspx

When you have completed the requirements, you may be eligible to receive a training award and a square knot for above your left pocket.

"Trained" patches have numerous benefits as I see it.

First... they remind the leadership that they should endeavor to reach out to the BSA and learn to properly care for the young men that have been placed in their care.

Second... it establishes an early level of confidence by the Scout and his family (course that confidence has to be continually earned as you perform)

Third... yet another visual item to instill pride and belonging.

It even gives a slight bit of confidence for some of us new leaders to say, "Hey... this is what I think is the right thing to do in our Pack/Troop" These ideas may have been in our head before but sometimes it requires a little "official" branding to lend credence to our thought.

Patches don't solve the problems.. but they have been a firm cornerstone of the "tradition".

Thanks for all the responses.

My pack leaders all wear the BALOO patch on the right pocket. Below that they stack these additional training patches, which are almost "strips" in that they are only about an inch tall. At our B&G, I just noticed a third patch: water safety. It is definitely a council-wide habit because I met leaders from other packs in our council who have these as well.

My feeling is that it helps instill confidence in our cubs' parents that the pack leaders are not just winging it. (One could argue that by wearing non-BSA approved uniform items they are indeed winging it, but that's only known to those intimate with the program.) The more often the word Trained appears the better, I suppose.

As I understand it, the Scout executive can approve local emblems; if so, then someone at council should have the information on these.

Do they have strips for the new Hazardous Weather and Generational Diversity training?

Ed P.

The SE may have the authority to approve a patch or emblem design, but he does NOT have the authority to approve it to be worn anywhere on the uniform except on the right pocket. Patch placement is determined only by the national council.