how do those switchbacks hold up?

Goldwinger, I am 6'3" and they looked like they would be short when I held a pair up to me. I suppose I should try a pair out, worst case is I don't have to take the legs off and use them as shorts if they are too skimpy.

My only problem is loss of legs.....

My son went to a camporee last year where he zipped the legs off and thought he stuffed them in his pack while he was on the trail. When he came home, they were gone and loss.

I would love to find a pair of switchbacks that had a compartment to stuff the zipped off pant legs in! Or at least a bungee to hang them on to!

At Philmont, One of our scouts just unzipped the legs and let them bunch up around his boots. Looked like leg warmers from the 80s. Too effeminate for me. and they took alot of abuse, both the leggings and the scout from his crew mates.

We came across a pair of switchback legs, no pants laying on a log. Presented them to him on the last day so his parents wouldn't kill him for ruining his scout pants.

• 1 month later...

As I was hanging up my switchbacks and noticed that the bottom of the legs were starting to pill. I have only had them since October and usually where them 2 or 3 times a month.

I do like them. I hope the pilling doesn't get TOO bad.

If the pilling really gets bad, you can take a shaving razor and actually shave them off. Just get the material on a solid flat surface and hold it tight, so it doesn't buckle up. It might take several passes with the razor to get the job done. My son's pants were pilling on the front and I had them looking good as new in about 10 minutes. I used the Gillette Sensor two-blade heads, but I think either the single blade or three-blade heads would work fine. No, I did not use shaving cream. :-)

YIkes Deborah! I hope your son is ok!

We bought a pair recently and my son really likes them. About two weeks later, we heard that scoutstuff.org was having a 2-for-1 sale on them. Go figure.

As LisaBob just eluded to the BSA National Supply is selling their Switchback convertible pants in a special 2 for 1 sale for the next month. One can order the pants by going to http://scoutstuff.org click on "Uniforms and Insignia" and then click on "Switchback Sale" and then on the picture of the Switchback pants. If you order 1 pair, and at the end of the order process you enter the promo code of "s36822" they will change your order to 2 pair for the same price.