Arrowhead patch

Just got back from Roundtable. I saw someone wearing a uniform with silver shoulder loops, Troop Committee as a position patch, and the arrowhead award for commissioners. My first thought is that if he is on a Troop Committee, he should have had the red loops.

Would one ware the arrowhead patch on any other uniform exept there commisioner shirt?

" My first thought is that if he is on a Troop Committee, he should have had the red loops."

Yep, that's what one should do. Perhaps he was there in his role as district Scouter.

"Would one ware (sic) the arrowhead patch on any other uniform exept there (sic) commisioner shirt?"

Nope.

Technically, you are correct. From the description, I would guess the gentleman is both a troop committee member and a commissioner. And probably he didn't want to buy two shirts, so he just combined the items on one.

According to the Insignia Guide, the Arrowhead Honor is "Worn only with a commissioner badge of office."

Definitely a uniforming libertine. But when I go to Roundtable, I find it difficult to find very many uniforms that don't have errors, and this is an error that isn't as easy to catch as some others.

Goldwinger, would that be the red one with the Singapore scout emblem on it? (I also sometime wear a neckerchief from Singapore, Korea or the Philippines. Nice conversation piece with other scouters.

For years I wore gray loops on my one troop uniform when doing a district function. Finally, broke down and did the velco thing as I work with Pack, Troop, District and OA.

"The hard ones to catch are my "errors" like the Polish Scout belt that I sometimes wear. Or the neckerchief from Singapore that I've been known to wear."

Nah, see if you can catch anyone wearing their knots upside down. (Guilty as charged. But if you think I'm going to tell SWMBO, she put them on upside down forget it.)

SA

The knots that have two different colors are definitely easier to catch than the knots where the two ropes are the same color. It can be really hard to catch those.

When I said it wasn't "as easy to catch", I meant that you actually have to read the patch in order to catch the error. Most errors I see are fairly major misplacement of patches that could be spotted from across the room.

Two nights ago, I was at our councils Venturing Roundtable and I saw one guy with a tan scout shirt and green shoulder loops. Sitting next to him was another scouter, a green venturing shirt wearing red shoulder loops??? What's up with that???

Evidentally, there still a large percentage of scouters uneducated on uniform and insignia wear. Isn't that a part of their training? If not, it should be.

Yes, I too have seen scouters wear the commissioner white arrow and that is not their job. I know of one guy, who is one the council committee that still has his white arrow on his sleeve, and he's a Silver Beaver. I have three uniforms and my white arrow is only on my unit commissioners shirt. In my opinion, DE's and DC's need to become more active in pointing out gross violations, otherwise newer scouters will see that misplacement of a patch on the shirt of a more experienced scouter who should know better, and think it's okay to do the same.

On that subject, it still gets me worked-up to see adult scouters wear a patch above the right pocket that is not a US Jamboree or World Jamboree emblem. One gal had her Wolf training patch there. Another, who has been in scouts for 7 years, put his summer camp scoutmasters patrol patch in that spot. If I were to say something to them, it would fall on deaf ears, so I don't bother.

"Two nights ago, I was at our councils Venturing Roundtable and I saw one guy with a tan scout shirt and green shoulder loops. Sitting next to him was another scouter, a green venturing shirt wearing red shoulder loops??? What's up with that??? "

Who knows. Both are incorrect. The National Venturing Cabinet has a page on their website on uniforming, that gives diagrams and cites my Venturing Uniform FAQ: http://www.nationalventuringcabinet.org/uniform.shtml

"Evidentally, there still a large percentage of scouters uneducated on uniform and insignia wear. Isn't that a part of their training? If not, it should be. "

Nope. I don't recall any training on proper uniforming in all my years of being a scouter (and going thru training). Sadly, you get the people who want to 'cop an attitude' when you point out their blaten uniform gaffs. While I don't like it, I've long ago learned not to make a big deal about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been a member of our District training team for a couple of years now and have never seen anything in the training curriculum on proper uniforming. BSA appears to assume that all of its leaders will obtain a copy of the Insignia Guide and use it accordingly. It has been my experience, particularly with Cub Scouters, that it is more a word of mouth or personal observation on others that is generally the guide.(This message has been edited by jmwalston)