Rank Badges versus Rank Pins

The local Scout office sells both the Rank Badges and Rank Pins, and the current Uniform Guide authorizes both for wear on the left pocket.

I suppose at least 99% of troops award the badge. But what I have found is the scouts (or mothers) will not stitch it on, but use a plastic badge holder. Occasionally the boy will lose the badge of rank, especially if the holder is old.

Frankly, it looks awful. So, I was wondering if there are troops out there who use the large pins instead. NOT the mother's pin, but the large brass rank pins. I was just wondering if there are drawbacks to the pin award as opposed to the badges, where the drawbacks are already known to me?

I have actually seen a few that have velcro to hold the rank patch in place.  Or staples.

I am old school I do not see that it takes much to put a few stiches in a patch. Thank goodness I have not seen anyone using the temp holders - I might not bite my tongue and tell them how I think that they do not think much of scouting not to put a few stiches to hold what they should be proud of.  I guess that goes with pushing 'ranking up' not value of the rank.

It take but 5 minutes, 2-3 pins, 1 needle, a scissor and a spool of thread to teach a kid to sew his own patches on. One of the highest compliments I give to my boys when they do a good job of sewing the patch on is: "You sew like a girl!" It works for me, and they all get their patches on well before "mom has time to do it".

Stosh

Thats how I first learned to sew. When I went from Scout to Star, By the time Mom had sew on the new rank patch, I had advanced again. Finally got tired of waiting for her to do it, I taught myself. Not as neat as Mom, but at least it was on. I still sew most of my patches on. Still have trouble getting some of them level.

What's wrong with the Scout sewing the rank patch on himself? After all, it is his uniform & his rank patch. And if he or mom opts for the easy way out & the patch is lost, well, that would mean the Scout would have to get a new one at his own expense!

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

Slightly different experience here. The troop I serve awards the rank pins immediately upon earning the rank, and the badge at the COH. So the pin is worn on the pocket until the badge is awarded.

I've never seen rank badges in a temp holder - I don't think I like that idea.

Vicki

Vicki, we present the rank pins immediately as well. Our Council Office is over an hour's drive and won't sell the rank patches without an advancement form, so it just isn't feasible to drive up and back just to pick up one award. We present the actual patch and parents' pins at the COH.

Part of the problem is that the local Scout office sells them, and I have gotten the complaint "the boys advance too fast, although generally i have only seen them advance through the early ranks at a 4 to 6 month rate."

I am thinking I could take off points on a uniform inspection, and maybe mention something in our monthly newsletter. Do any of you think it would be a good idea to prevent him from participating in a flag ceremony because of the plastic badge holder.

Part of the problem is that the local Scout office sells them, and I have gotten the complaint "the boys advance too fast, although generally i have only seen them advance through the early ranks at a 4 to 6 month rate."

I am thinking I could take off points on a uniform inspection, and maybe mention something in our monthly newsletter. Do any of you think it would be a good idea to prevent him from participating in a flag ceremony because of the plastic badge holder.

And i do find it curious that the badges are now strongly controlled, but the pins, which are valid substitutes for badges, are not controlled at all.

Personally, I think points off a uniform inspection would be enough. There's something wrong with not allowing scouts to participate in a flag ceremony. In both the troops I serve, even if you're not in uniform you participate in flags - you just can't use the scout salute. Is that a standard "punishment" for such a minor infraction in your troop? Don't mean that judgmentally, just asking.

Also, if you think about this another way - at least they're "wearing" a current rank badge. Some of our guys don't change their badges from First Class until they're Life - and before you ask, yes, we say something but we don't make a big deal out of it.

Vicki(This message has been edited by Vicki)

wow your council won't sell rank patches without advancement sheet-go figure??? Then Call another scout shop! We keep a whole parts box of "expected to be needed" patches for all ranks (except Eagle of course). Our Council is tight on the rank pocket cards but sell us patches (and pins) all the time. The SM or NSP ASM will let the "patch" guy know what they think we need in the up coming months and the order goes out...

In our troop almost without question if a Scout "passes" a board during a meeting (and occaisionally at a campout) he is given his rank patch that night in front of his peers. He is then expected to go home and sew it on.."no stinking plastic holders" allowed! Scouts mothers sew it on? Are they in Boy Scouts? ...At the next general CoH (usually quarterly)he is given a parent (Moms) pin and his rank card. All boys should know how to sew! And cook, and clean a fish, and skin a deer and change a tire and the oil in moms car!!

Anarchist

Anarchist, any scout shop in our council would turn you down if you walked in asking for a patch without an advancement sheet. Period. If you meant go to another council to purchase patches, that would mean quite a drive.

Not how it used to be - my older son's troop had a whole "bank" of rank patches when the policy was put in place so they've been able to continue to award patches when the rank is earned. Whenever new patches are purchased with advancement sheet in hand, they go into the "bank". Younger son's troop does not have that advantage - hence the award of pin, then patch.

Vicki